View RSS Feed

Joreads

Its my kind of club

Rate this Entry
Last night was the first meeting for 2009 for my book club. We are a ten women strong and range in age from 37 to 78. Each month we read a book and get together to discuss it. It never ceases to amaze me that even though we have all read the same book we all take something different away from them.
There are some strong voices among us and the debate can get quite lively but once the jug has been boiled and the coffee, tea and cake served the laughing returns to the group. We come in the door as friends and we leave at the end of the night the same way.
When I looked around the room last night I realized that I was looking at nine women that I would never have meet had it not been for my love of reading. One of the women I now count as one of my closest friends.
Reading is a wonderful past time but it is by its nature a very solitary past time. Book Club has allowed me away to turn on of my great loves reading into something that I can share with wonderful people and there can be no greater joy than that.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That sounds great Jo. I've wanted to join a book club before lit net, but this forum has satisfied my need to discuss what I read. Though I may not participate every month I love our book club forum here, and we now have a quarterly Shakespeare plays and every so often Poetry book club, and of course my dear DH Lawrence short story discussions. Yes getting together is great. Too bad that by internet we are so distant and rarely see our faces.

So was this month a discussion of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night? How did that go?
    It never ceases to amaze me that even though we have all read the same book we all take something different away from them.
    That is what I love about a discussion on a book. I don't join any clubs, though, because I kind of zig-zag my way around books, and don't really read one fully at a time, you know? (except in the case of Dead Souls, but that's another story).

Glad you're enjoying your book club, Jo!