View RSS Feed

applepie

Not too much happening

Rate this Entry
Things here are moving along. I'm starting to clear my plate of a few projects, but more just keep coming up. I am working hard to get into my new routine of exercise in the morning and writing each night. I'm not completly doing it yet, but I have been trying to work at it. I'm also trying to fit in more time to read, since I tend to think that if you want to write well you have to read extensively.

I just finished The Jungle, by Sinclair, a week or so ago, and now I'm working through The Phantom of the Opera. The Jungle was amazingly depressing I'm sad to say. I'm not certain that I've ever read anything so devoid of even a scrap of hope. It really was interesting, but I think having read it once is enough. I was mostly curious about it because of the social ramifications that the story had here in the US. I would have to place it as part of the list of books everyone should read once.

So for reading this year... Well, as I said right now I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera, and I also have the January book for our book club on order. It should be here this week, and I'm looking foward to participating again. I think that is likely by biggest goal. I would like to participate in the book club reading each month this year. That is my bare minimum I think, but life is plenty full without adding on yet more:D

Oh well, there isn't much going on here, so I'm off to get some more work done.

Much Love,
Meg
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

happy to hear that things are going well for you.
    Very interested in your opinion of Phantom as I first read it as a young pre-teen and was enthralled by it. The character of the Persian always fascinated me.
    Glad things are going well for you, Meg. I definitely need to get more reading done, too. Why is this such a chore? I LOVE reading! But there is always so much going on that .... [and the list goes on, eh?]

Anyhow, you made a gem of a point when you said that one needs to read a lot to become a good writer. That is something that a published author mentioned in their book, but which one? I forget, I have lots of books on the craft of writing. It might have been Margaret Atwood or even Stephen King himself! (he has a GREAT book on the craft of writing, yes indeedy-doo!).

Say, here is a link, if you are interested, on this very subject: For Writers Interested In The Craft

Cheers,
    K♥zzo