View RSS Feed

Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy

Knife By R.J.Anderson

Rate this Entry
*sigh*
Okay so i broke my no buying books ban. Believe me i was doing so well until January began and we got our new kids book of the month in. If you all know me well you know there are certain things i love... all things faerie, Brian Froud and Kids books. So when it turns out our new "kids" book of the month is a book called Knife and is about "faeries" the the cover artwork is an illustration by "Brian Froud" well there was no hope of me being able to over look it.
So i bought it on Friday when i finished work and started it yesterday... and finished it last night. i think it was 1.15am by the time i went to bed as i refused to sleep until i finished it. I just loved it. It distracted me from all the other things i needed to do... like trying to sort out my internet connection which is acting the maggot... and reading manuscripts, which i really need to finish... and working on my own novels...
I just loved the characters, they were so well written, and the story was captivating. I dont want to give any of the story away so no spoilers, but trust me... i'd read it again today if i hadnt started Bitterbynde again...
The Writing has a similar stryle to Kate Thompson (the Fourth Horseman) but it has the stubbornness and wit of Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl). Probably why i loved it so much!

So lovers of all things faerie, get out there and buy Knife or book it from your library... its worth it. and let me know what you think!

rating: ****

Updated 01-04-2009 at 06:01 PM by Niamh

Categories
Childerns and Young Adult Books

Comments

So did your no book buying ban last a whole week? Or was it two weeks. I've been good, I think I've gone the whole month without buying one, but I can feel the itch overtaking me.
    hahaha, I think you have to give yourself a pass on that one, that was too much to pass up.
    Niamh the way I see it is you may have bought the book but you did it as a public service. We have all had a wonderful review of the book and something to look forward to reading so rest easy.
    You work in a bookstore and you were able to not buy a book for two weeks? My hat (if I were wearing one) is off to you.
    You can never have too many books! Lift the ban!
    Would I be able to find this book in Canada?
    Well, you read my blog. You know about my "problem". I told myself I wasn't going to buy any books for a LONG time, and I seem to obviously have no self-control. And now look at me! 197 books to read! Plus, if you EVER saw my Amazon list! When I was working at Barnes and Noble, I was buying all the time. I admire you for being able to hold off any length of time that you did. I swear that it is actually painful sometimes when there is a book that I want and I don't buy it. But I have come to realize that buying a book that I just can't resist every now and then is NOT going to kill me. Besides, you know that book was just calling to you, anyway. How could possibly you ignore it?
    Becca the Author is Canadian but as far as i know its not out till April in Canada & US. It will be under the title of "Rebel Faeries" in your country and it doesnt have the cool Brian Froud cover either.
    Yes i dont know how i managed two weeks without buying a book! But there was no way in hell i was going to be able to resist this one...I managed to convince a woman in work to buy it for her daughter!! I've been raving about it the last two days.
    A little Google Alert fairy pointed me here...

To answer my semi-namesake Becca's question: FAERY REBELS: SPELL HUNTER is the North American title, and my publisher HarperCollins will be releasing it in the US/Canada in late April.

And since it would be ungracious not to say so -- Niamh, thank you for this very kind review!
    oh my! thank you very much for your response. Didnt expect the author to discover my rant and i'm honoured that you took the time out to reply.
    And congrats on the book!
    Welcome Ms. Anderson. Nice to have a real author with us.
    I just looked for the book on Amazon before I reading the comments and I was so frustrated at only being able to find Faery Rebels. My Chaney will love this one! Niamh, I’d love a list of other books like this one. She was complaining tonight that she didn’t have a good book to read.