View RSS Feed

Whatever

When life takes a turn for the worst

Rate this Entry
The last week or so has been rather nightmarish. One thing after another. Now I'm bracing myself for the next horrible thing to happen.
Last Thursday I was in my first car accident. I was driving on the highway in the pouring rain. I don't remember how fast I was going, definitely no faster than 65, probably more like 55 or 60. Whatever it was, it was too fast. I hydroplaned and swerved onto the median and hit the guardrail head-on. My brother was with me. After awhile, ambulances and firetrucks and cops show up. They ask me if I was in any pain. I told them my back hurt. So they put me on a board and took me to the hospital. As the EMT's were pulling me out of the car, the cop was interrogating me about how fast I was driving and where I was going etc etc. (I ended up getting a ticket for $130 ) We were out in the middle of nowhere, so it was almost an hour before we got to the hospital. Then I was in the ER for another couple of hours before someone could look at me and tell me I was ok (which I already knew) All this time I was strapped to the board. Later, that day we found out that the car was totaled. Oh and we don't have insurance.
Then the next day things get even better. I work as a home health aide. Well, I used to. Friday morning I found out that my patient died. I didn't really know her that well, because she's been unable to talk since I've known her, but still I had developed an affection for her. I'll miss her. And I'll miss working with her family. So now I'm very sad as well as unemployed.
Then a few days later, I drove to the library. It was dark and I was driving my grandfather's huge old pick-up (on account of having totaled the car I usually drive). I guess I didn't realize just how big that truck is; I sideswiped a brand-new Camry as I was trying to park the monster. Put a huge dent in the door. I considered leaving, but I decided to do the right thing. So now I have Camry Guy calling me everyday.
So there you have it. That was my week. I know that eventually I'll get a job and pay for the new car and get Camry Guy off my back. Things will be ok...sometime.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Poor Weisy. That is absolutely horrendous. Take a deep breath and relax. I know it's been hard. It won't always be like this. Things will blow over and settle down. I remember when I was a young driver I went through a couple of incidents. Never this bad, but still it seemed like the world was ending. Don't lose confidence in yourself. I wish you the very best.
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear about all of this. But at least you are alright! Well, a lot has been going on with me (and others that I know). It just seems that the bad things never seem to stop. I was talking about things that are going on in life with my voice teacher and she said "I guess they are right". I said "What do you mean?" She said "It does seem that when it rains it really does pour". My brother always says that when things go wrong it seems that things need to get worse before getting better. Doesn't sound too promising, does it? But basically, he is saying that things will get better. Just give it time. I am sure that it couldn't get any worse for you. Good luck!
    These things come in threes? Thank your lucky stars you aren't hurt!
    That's really ****ty... good luck, hope things get better soon.
    I need to very very gently advise you to check on your driving privileges (in Ohio driving without insurance gets you a revoked license) soI want you prepared in case THAT shoe drops. Perhaps your grand-father's policy will cover you on the camry--check that also. We had our car totaled in 1985 and life got interesting for awhile. My sister does home care for patients that pretty much are preparing for the next whelm so my sympathies for your loss. Good to know there are nice people out there to take care of them in their last days. Hopefully the upcoming weeks will be brighter.
    I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt in the accident...either of them. That really was a rough week. I say you win the worst week award for 11-21. Things will turn around for you and I'm sure it will be soon.
    Thanks, guys.
    And just to clarify, when I said we don't have insurance I didn't mean to say that we don't have any insurance. We have liability (which will cover the camry). We just don't have insurance to cover our car. So we're legal.
    And I know things will get better. Guess I just gotta keep reminding myself.
    oh, weis, I'm so sorry. That really stinks . I'm glad you're ok, though.
    When I read this my stomach started to hurt, just thinking about the first wreck. That does suck and all I can say is that I am glad that it didn't turn out as bad as it could have. I am glad there were no serious injuries or worse. Although, job hunting sans car is rather problematic. Sounds like the next few months or so are going to be "grin and bear it."
    Weisy, I had meant to ask but forgot. How old were your tires that you hydroplaned? Had you checked them recently? One thing young drivers forget to do (and lots of older drivers too I'm afraid) is check their tires frequently, for even wear and tire pressure.
    Thanks, Andya and Shal. Everyone has been so supportive and I really appreciate all you guys.
    We actually did get another car. My fam helped me pay for it.
    And Virg, I have no clue about the tires. I've never checked them. But it wasn't my car; it was the family car. I'll ask and see if anyone else had checked them. My bro is usually on top of those kinds of things.