View RSS Feed

Snoopy

a little nervous and a little sad

Rate this Entry
Now i am working in a foreign trade company. I am very afraid of my boss and sometimes I think I am very stupid and my English is not good.The most important thing is it seems that there is generation between boss and I.
Dear everybody,I need your help and support
And I have 2 questions as follow:
1: "The 10% discount amounts to £5.30, what do I have to do to get it back??" In this sentence, what the speaker actually mean? Does think 10% discount is so a little amout of money and he does not need it?My boss had a totally different opinion with me
2:I am not quite clear about these words:You have been a star to deal with, all I need now is the games to be delivered before christmas and I will definately be telling all my friends about you.
What a delight to deal with someone so nice!!
Why does the speaker use "deal with"here? Are these sentence really a complement from heart and not a mock?

In addition, if you find any mistake in my writing,please figure out. I am very appreciate if you do that way.
I lost my confidence~~~
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well, it's a little difficult to comment out of context, but I'll give it a try.

1) Is the discount a refund? My impression with the first statement is that the person is asking how they receive the discount in cash terms - for example, if the discount was not originally applied when it should have been how will they receive their £5.30.
    2) It sounds like a genuine compliment. The phrase 'deal with' generally means 'to have dealings with' so the person is saying that you have been a good person to work with, and that in their opinion you have given good service/done a good job.

I hope that helps.
    1) Yes I agree with Fifth, the person is receiving a 10% discount and is inquiring on how to get the money.

2) "You have been a star to deal with" is apparently a complement, though it's an odd phrasing. To call someone a star I assume carries a positive meaning. Deal as a verb has these meanings:
    Main Entry: 2deal
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): dealt \ˈdelt\ ; deal·ing \ˈdē-liŋ\
    Date: before 12th century
    transitive verb
    1 a: to give as one's portion : apportion <tried to deal justice to all> <dealt out three sandwiches apiece> b: to distribute (playing cards) to players in a game
    2: administer , deliver <dealt him a blow>
    3 a: sell <deals drugs> b: trade <deal a player to another team>
    intransitive verb
    1: to distribute the cards in a card game
    2: to concern oneself or itself <the book deals with education>
    3 a: to engage in bargaining : trade b: to sell or distribute something as a business <deal in insurance>
    4 a: to take action with regard to someone or something <deal with an offender> b: to reach or try to reach a state of acceptance or reconcilement <trying to deal with her son's death>
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deal[2]

The meaning in the sentence you are asking about is with definitions 3 or 4.
    I agree with both of the above. The term 'deal' can be taken as just another way to a person doing business with you. Every new job takes some getting used to and a fear of the people in charge is normal until you get used to the work and your confidence increases. Try to relax and just think of answering one customer at a time and learn from each transaction. It'll get better. Hoping for the best.
    Just to add to Virgil's comments, calling someone a 'star' is definitely a compliment. Perhaps it is a peculiarly British phrase, but it's in very common use here and always means something nice
    Oh is it common in Britain. I didn't know that. Thanks.
    Thanks all of you!!!!
    You are all kind-hearted!!