View RSS Feed

Shannanigan's Search for More...

Writing

Rate this Entry
The trick about getting the idea in one's head to write a novel, is that in order for it to acutally happen, you have to commit yourself to it.

This has always been my problem. I've got novel ideas coming out of my ears, but I just keep running into issues of TIME.

I'll admit, there have been times when I really wasn't too busy to be writing. I've had my share of lazy summers and easy semesters. For those, I will take responsibility for. Still, I'm not getting any younger, and time isn't getting any more abundant.

So here I sit, with this new book idea. I acually even started writing it this week, since I've been all holed up in my apartment riding out Hurricane Omar. And yet, I know that once I get back to school on Monday, that the book will be set aside, left to collect whatever kind of dust collects on a file in a jump drive.

I saved it to a jump drive with the fantastical thought that maybe, during my prep periods, I could sit in the teacher's lounge and get more writing done. Pah. As if. Any teacher knows that I'm more likely to have an entire class pass with a grade of 101%.

Grrr.

I don't want to give up on another idea! I've had too many lost to my tattered notebooks, I want one to at least make it to a publisher to be rejected! Sheesh!

I read that the key thing to do it just set a time aside each day (or night) to write, and tell yourself that you will get at least ____ pages done every 24 hours.

I don't know, I stay up as late as it is planning, and it's not going to get any easier. Next quarter I start teaching the stuff that I didn't cover while student teaching...all new material for me and the kiddies, yay!

This is why I want the Stegner Fellowship, so I won't feel guilty taking a break from teaching to write, and to have people riding my *** and depending on me to write for two solid years.

Never has that sounded so attractive.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes I can relate to that, and for me once something comes up in which distracts me from my writing, if I get busy or leave town, it is always hard to get back into doing it again. I will be on a role, and then once that is interupted, it is hard to get back in the habbit of it.
    I can relate to it also Shan. Writing is tough. I truely admire those that can sit for hours at a time, days upon days to write. Best of luck to you.
    Yeah, the commitment to sitting down and getting it done in a fairly interrupted stretch is the really challenging part; I think my life is just too full of distractions at this time.
    I don't know what to tell you, since I struggle with this myself. Good luck!
    I get bouts of "no time" for writing, and i come up with all these excuses for why. I'm currently trying to work on five novels, well four one has been shelved temp- , at the moment, and up until now i hadnt wrote for months, then i picked up this really handy book in work by Meave Binchy (yes shes a chick lit author but this book is so useful!) called The Meave Binchy Writers Club, which is basicly all about hte process of getting started, making the time, editing, publishing and so on so forth. you should check that out.
    Thanks Niamh! I'll have to have a look!
    Do!
    If you have the discipline to do so, 'they' say that the early hours writing are best. You wake up fresh, uninterupted, and even if your output seems random, just DO IT. Eventually things will become a good habit that you will fall into and even look forward to. Good luck with that book! And never leave home without even a small notebook to jot down ideas that spring to mind during the busy hours of your day.