View RSS Feed

Captain Pike's Ship Log II

OMG -- someone up there loves us!

Rate this Entry
This is getting crazy! I can't believe what is happening! So the owners of the blue ranch came back with the infinitesimally smaller counter offer. Okay, that's great news, right? That means, they are dealing with us -- we have a chance. Thinking this all over, I'm considering this blue House, it has technically all the stuff we would need. But no bling -- nothing special, an adequate, sensible domicile... blah blah blah.

We had 24 hours to reply to the counter offer. The selling broker says, "that's it. That's their bottom line." Our realtor says, "who knows, maybe they'll come down a little more." I just kept thinking about this monstrous place, in another town that we had first looked at. It was really nice, the foundation was an ungodly 60 X 40, not counting the connected garage -- 2 car! I was suspicious because the place was a flipped house. It had been built commercially, to house traveling executives -- no expense had been spared in its construction. It had fallen into disrepair after an estate failure. These guys pickedit up relatively cheap and completely gutted the place.

It was out of our league, the guys who were flipping it claimed they were taking it off the market -- to sell on Craig's list. We made some lowball offer and they scoffed. We moved on. But always, when looking at pictures and Internet listings of other places, I was always comparing with the big ranch with a hip roof. The place had been completely renovated and with the first floor measuring in at over 3000 ft., nobody really knew what it would take to heat it. Plus the taxes were just underneath astronomical.

But still, that beautiful kitchen, with the tile floor and the cherry cabinets and all that hardwood and new Berber throughout, just kept nagging me. Little Miss wonderful and I were talking on the phone this evening, after supper, I said, "I wonder if we ought to call those guys, the guys that had that really great house, just tell him we are right in the final phase of negotiation with this place that was average and fine -- make sure they sold it."

Two hours later, after much haggling and horsetrading, calling back and forth, we arrived at a figure a lot less than what we were hoping to pay for the plain blue place! The one hitch being that their property has been taken off the market, they don't want to pay the commission to the realtor we originally used to find it. Little Miss Wonderful hadn't actually signed an exclusive with our buying broker until AFTER we looked at this wonderful place. We talked back and forth, but Little Miss Wonderful wouldn't budge; she insisted that her buying realtor should get at least half the commission for the sale.

At this point, 10:30 p.m., it looks as if we are going to split the commission and steal this great house that I have been fantasizing about for months! If something goes wrong with this deal, I'll have to crawl off somewhere, close out my account, skulk back a couple of years later and sign up again on the literature network with a new ID: Captain Chump, something like that.

Man, this life is so fascinating -- I can't wait to see what's going to happen next. I've got to be the luckiest guy on the planet.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow it SOUNDS like things falling into place thoughreal estate is a bit of amystery being a life long renter. Hoping for the best.
    Those last three pictures aren't working for me I'd really like to see. It's great news and I loved that fireplace!
    I'm glad for you Captain.
    Wow !! The things I can do in that living room and kitchen.
    Good Luck
    I was very happy to read this bit of great news for you, Cap'n!
    Thanks for posting the pictures, the home looks like something that one could be totally comfortable in (LOVE that kitchen!)
    And Captain Chump? LoL -- NEVAH!
    I've followed you for a few post and am so glad to read this! Great for you!!
    Very nice Capt. Those are really nice rooms. And right now it's a buyer's market. Get the best deal you can.
    Best of luck to you. I love the fire place. Just the spot to spend the cold winter evenings:)