View RSS Feed

Whatever

For Grandma

Rate this Entry
A bit ago I mentioned in the "How are you feeling today" thread that my Grandma was recently diagnosed with cancer.
She died yesterday morning.

It was a huge shock. I mean, we just found out two weeks ago that she had cancer. She was in the hospital, but then she was released last week. The doctors had given a few months to a year. We knew it was serious but... no one was expecting this. This is the first first time anyone close to me has died. All the funerals I've ever been to had been for distant relatives, or friends of friends. So this is a totally new experience for me. It's really weird. I'm bawling as I type this, and I'm really glad about that. I really haven't cried much till now. I guess I'm still in shock. It's hard to believe that she's actually gone.

I was really close to her. She lived only ten minutes away. She was a really amazing person. So generous and kind. She was always dropping by with stuff she'd found at various sales that she thought would be useful for us. She'd give us rides to places. I have piles of newspapers articles she clipped for me that she thought would particularly interesting to me. She taught me how to sew. She mended all of our clothes for us. She was really an easy person to talk to. I could tell her about anything and everything. She was a very optimistic person. I always felt better about things after talking to her about it. And she laughed at all my jokes.
Here's to you Grandma. I love you.

She loved purple flowers.

She loved blowing bubbles, too.

This is the best picture I have of her on this computer.

This is one of those times when I really wish I could write well. I wish I could write something beautiful to express how I feel right now, instead of these jumbled ramblings. But this is all I got. I had to write something.
Categories

Comments

You have done well by your grand-mother's memory. The love you bear here shined thru I assure you. Grieve well and be at peace with God and keep your memories safe.
    I am very sorry for your loss, Weisinheimer.
    Oh that is sad Weisy. I'm sorry to hear that. She must have been a wonderful person. I hope she lived a good life and is now in a better place. And you were very elequent. It was touching. You did her proud.
    I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My condolences to you and your family. Your grandmother will always be with you in your heart.
    I'm sorry for your loss. On the one hand, it was very sudden and a shock, given that you just found out that she had cancer. It seems like the sudden shock would be harder on the family than if there was a long drawn out illness. On the other hand, at least she didn't spend months sick, going through harsh treatments. Last year, my grandmother and grandfather died within a week of each other, but they had been sick for years. Cancer then kidney disease, then strokes. I remember visiting them in the hospital and they looked so worn out. When they did die, it wasn't a huge shock, and I had months to kind of prepare myself for it and spend time with them knowing that it would be one of the last times if not the last time I saw them. Hopefully you can find some comfort in the fact that she didn't have to spend too much time dealing with the cancer. And again, I am so sorry for your loss. My grandparents really meant a lot to me, so I know it's hard.
    I'm so sorry to read this! Just remember she is now free of pain, and will be looking after you always with other angels. http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...issima/Hug.jpg
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. Though it's extremely hard to lose her so suddenly, we are all grateful that she didn't have to suffer for very long.
    I think what you said about your grandmother was very nice. Sudden deaths are harder on the family but easier on the sick person. My grandmother had a long battle with cancer. She really suffered. It would have been so much easier on her to have passed more quickly. I’m sorry that you lost someone so special to you.
    That sucks :\

My grandma was diagnosed with cancer over thirty years ago.
    It's now spread to her lungs and will either head to her brain or bones. Sad stuff.