View RSS Feed

Half the time

Bubbles

Rate this Entry
...was pretty... interesting- yeah, that's the word for it .
Finished with my first year a couple of weeks ago, but it's been one thing after another (and my cousin- my favorite person in the entire world besides my sisters- came over this week! Haven't seen her in years. So that was pretty awesome). Anyways

First off, a few (important) lessons I learned during my first year:
- The idea that guys growing up after high school... yea, that's just a myth
- People change. Sometimes for the good, but others, you talk to them a few months later and your first thought is "o...kay?"
- Frat parties are lame(and not that entertaining after the first time... or even then actually)
- If you have a friend who... um... changes boyfriends every week or so, don't try to keep track of their names. It really is kind of awkward to say Hey is that your boyfriend ___?" when their name is something completely different (and the name you just mentioned is the name of their roommate)
- Knock before you enter a room (even if it's your own if you come back from home/ wherever early)
- To quote one of my very good friends "high school drama ain't got nothing on college drama"
- A long drawn-out "Hey" can serve just as well as a name
- Some people really can't take a joke
- If you say that you don't like guys, most people start making assumptions (even if you're not )
- Classes can be fun
- If you tell someone where you went to school and they just met someone who went there as well, they'll say "omg, do you know ___?" and if you say no, they go "are you sure?"... without even giving you a description of the person (and even if your graduating class had over 300 kids).
- There are some really strange/ creepy people out there D:
- Even if you're 100+ miles away, your sisters will still call you at random times (for anything) and your parents will too (especially where one of your sister's going to college and about eating enough).
- According to most logic, you're either an alcoholic or a straightedge :| (which is pretty stupid)
- Whenever you need a library computer the most, they will all be occupied and most of the occupants will be checking their facebook

There are actually a lot of kids from my high school class who go to my college (didn't know this until after the first week when I met a couple of them- who lived in my building). I didn't really know most of them really well at the beginning, since I didn't really hang out with them in high school, but some of them are really pretty cool. Some have changed a lot though. There was this kid I knew (well, everyone knew him really). He used to be obsessed with singing- first in the Music Wing and last to leave, in charge of the boys' group and such (really talented singer and so energetic about it too). But this year... nothing. He just hangs out with a couple of kids from school and that's it. And the twins . Just wow. They're some of the nicest people you'll ever meet in the world (well from what I remember from Junior year anyways), but one of them is trying to be such a 'bad boy' now- and it's so not working out. It's hilarious. Whenever I feel down, I go to his floor and start laughing uncontrollably (and no, I don't mean it in a mean way, it's just funny). And this one girl, she used to never, ever be alone in high school and now... it's kind of weird. Some justs haven't changed all that much though.

This year, I had a huge problem with names. Which is kind of weird since I still remember the faces and names of people I haven't seen in ten years. But really. There's this one girl, she's really nice and I talk to her all the time and stuff, but I can't for the life of me recall her name (and I know she told it to me several times). And I still feel really bad about it. Side note- I've never met a more annoying person in my life than that girl from my chemistry class. I absolutely adored that class: the prof was hilarious and the subject was really fascinating and there was actually someone in the class I could really talk to. Sounds like the perfect class, right? Wrong. There was this random girl, with a very squeaky voice and every word that came out of her mouth sounded like "1337" speak. She was really preppy (in a bad sort of way) and kept on asking random people if they thought she was a ho (I wish I was kidding with that last part). And she thought she was soo smart ^^. So now, I really want to IM/ talk to everyone I've ever called really annoying and say "hey, look, remember how I thought you were the most annoying person in the world? Well guess what? I found someone who makes you sound like an angel"... but that'd be really awkward, so I'm probably not going to do it. Speaking f which, how do you apologize to someone for something mean you thought of them?

Now, my roommate. She had as much drama surrounding her as... can't really think of anything. She was pretty nice though- well most of the time, anyways. But in a way, she was as shy as I was, except that a lot of her good friends went to college here, so she could hide it better. Never really thought of this before :/
I'm so glad I didn't go to a college in Boston though. I know myself well enough by now to know that I would have turned like one of those people by the end of the first semester. You know, just hanging out with the people you knew well in high school and not even making an effort to mingle with anyone I didn't know as well, and doing that so much that I'd make myself and everyone else completely miserable. Besides, my parents would have worried so much more if I lived so close to home (I know it sounds weird, but it makes sense in my head). Really. Oh and there are some people that I'm so glad I don't have to avoid on a daily basis. Missed a lot of my friends and quite a few fun projects though :/

Things I did this year:
- Didn't do some things I could have, but didn't
- Didn't fall while giving a presentation
- Dissected a rat
- Wrote about myself for English class (that was the scariest assignment ever)
- Flirted with someone (yes, you can laugh, everyone else did )
- Became slightly more confident in myself
- Gave some useful advice
- Started thinking before talking
- Talked to new people (even though the first year anywhere I usually put this little shell around myself and try to avoid everyone) ;__;
- Made peace with myself with the whole God/ Evolution thing. (most happy about this)
- Had the weirdest dreams of my entire life (I seriously think I freaked out my roommate when I suddenly would suddenly wake up in the middle of the night after a dream and say "what the heck was that?"... then go back to sleep)
- Stalked the ducks and the geese to see where they go at night (good times)

Last side note- I'm going to be chaperoning my sister and several of her 'adventurous' classmates for a field trip next week. She guilt-tripped me into it ("why won't you come? Do you not like me anymore? Everyone else is busy")- so much that I woke up early this morning and signed the permission slip ... This should be fun ._.

Sorry if that was too long
tl;dr- first year of college was pretty fun
Categories

Comments

Too long? That was not long enough. It was marvelous Same. You are such a wonderful young lady and I can tell this year has been great for you. I'm so happy you've done well and had great experiences. Let me respond to a couple of things:
    The idea that guys growing up after high school... yea, that's just a myth
    Ha! Most guys don't mature until they're 30. And don't fall for any of thier lines.
    Frat parties are lame(and not that entertaining after the first time... or even then actually)
    Yeah, so make sure you don't risk your grades over them.
    Classes can be fun
    Great! That's the most important thing of all. I'm sure you'll get a prof you won't like. There are lousy profs as well as good. But do your best in all.
    Didn't fall while giving a presentation
    Good for you. I actually did in college. I actually blacked out for a few seconds.
    Dissected a rat
    I remember you telling me that. I couldn't do it
    - Flirted with someone (yes, you can laugh, everyone else did )
    - Became slightly more confident in myself
    - Gave some useful advice
    - Started thinking before talking
    - Talked to new people (even though the first year anywhere I usually put this little shell around myself and try to avoid everyone) ;__;
    - Made peace with myself with the whole God/ Evolution thing. (most happy about this)
    Boy have you matured in this year. You are so much more confident.
    Stalked the ducks and the geese to see where they go at night (good times)
    So where do they go? Congrats on having a great first year. Have a nice summer, and stop by lit net when you can.