View RSS Feed

Shannanigan's Search for More...

Student Teaching

Rate this Entry
I truly understand why we have such a hard time finding and keeping good teachers.

Holy hell is this job hard.

I always loved the thought of teaching, ever since I was very, very young...and I'm talking elementary school. I remember telling my second grade teacher that I wanted to be a teacher. I knew from then, and it never changed.

I taught and tutored my four younger siblings and was a volunteer tutor through junior high and high school. I often coached friends in writing as the skill popped up in their jobs. I loved writing, that's why I decided to be an English major.

I knew teaching was hard. Coming up with creative ways to keep the kids interested, relating the content to their lives, writing lesson plans and fair tests, dealing with testy kids, parents, and even administrators.

But I had no idea it was THIS bad.

I had no idea that most teachers have to start from SCRATCH, with little resources, at the school I am student teaching at.

I had no idea that teachers were REQUIRED to to item analyses on their final exams, to have their lesson plans reviewed and critiqued at the beginning of every week, or that they were EXPECTED to spend their weekends planning. I had no idea the amount of documentation required for misbehavior, nor the expectations of regular teachers to tend to the needs of special needs students, including ESL students.

Public school teachers have it hard, man. Not that I'm complaining, I love a challenge...but not everyone does. I doubt that we have enough strong-willed, workaholic child-lovers out there patient enough to fill the amount of teacher positions we need filled in this country. Some kids are going to get the duds, the teachers who don't want to be there or who feel "stuck" there, and sadly those kids are usually the ones who need the most help...

God I can't wait to drop this whole "student" bit and become a full-time teacher. I feel like everything but teaching is just encroaching on the time I could be spending becoming a better teacher.

We need a TA system here though...BADLY.
Categories

Comments

you're making me nervous! I hope it gets better for you.
    Public school teaching is so much more difficult than most people think. The job of teaching itself is difficult enough,--especially where adolescents are involved--but then all that bureaucratic stuff makes it even tougher. I'm sorry you're so worn out right now. I haven't taught public school myself (though I have sympathized with friends who have), but the one thing I can say is that any kind of teaching does get easier with more practice and experience. You'll start to have lesson plans you can pull out dependably and reliable techniques for explaining things and maintaining discipline in the class room. Starting out is the most difficult part. All that other stuff may continue to be a headache, though. I'm with you, in that I marvel they get as many good teachers as they do in that system.
    I have wondered from time to time how you have been doing since we last talked. I am pleased to see that you are meeting the challenges I thought might be in your future and hanging in there. As long as it's a challenge you will always be a good teacher. The day it no longer matters to you turn in your resignation--you and the students derserve your heart for teaching and I believe you have that --now guard it wisely and don't let the bureaucracy win or get you down.
    I think that it is good that more people be made aware of the challenges that face such caring teachers as yourself. I hope that you don't get bogged down in some of the nonsense that bogs down a music teacher friend of mine (he is literally pulling out what little hair he has left). Red tape, parents that are unreasonable, unsupportive principal, and the list goes on. Hang in there and best wishes to you. Kizzo