View RSS Feed

Away with the Fairies- The Travel Diary of an Irish WebFairy

More Pointless Info

Rate this Entry
So i'm back with some more pointless info About Ireland.

* The Normans didnt invade Ireland, they were invited over in 1168 by King Dermot MacMuragh to help him regain some of his kingdom in Leinster. As a reward he gave to the leader of the army Richard DeClare ie. Strongbow the hand of his daughter Aoife.

* Some of the streets in Dublin City centre are still the original names from the viking period. They are also in the same position and length as they were over a thousand years ago. Most of these streets are located around Christ Church. Some of them are as follows
Wine Tavern St
Cow gate Street
Cornmarket
Fishamble st

* The Highest Pub in Ireland is Johnny Foxes in the Wicklow mountains.

* The Port of Cobh, Formerly Queenstown, was the last stop of the Titanic and the Lucitania. It is also supposed to be one of the most Haunted places in Ireland.

* Malahide Castle in north county Dublin Has been owned by the same family for its intire existance. The Talbot family past it on to the Office of Public works. The family also have a street named after them.

* Sean O' Caseys real name was Shane Casey.

* The Playboy of the western World cause historical riots in the Abbey Theatre 100 years ago. The uproar happened after one of the actors said the word Shift. (a female undergarment)

* W.B.Yeats Wife Georgie was an automatic handwriter.

* Irelands Epic An Tain Bo Cuailgne has never been adapted for the screen.

* Queen Mad mentioned in Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet is a fairy queen of Irish Mythology. (funny how it ended up in a play based in Italy. You can Visit Mabs chair which is located in the wicklow mountains.

* The Prehistoric site of Bru Na Bionne which consists of Three Megalithic tombs, Newgrange, Knowth and Dowth, predate the Pyramids of Giza by almost 1000 years.

Updated 08-22-2008 at 12:05 PM by Niamh

Categories
Random Ireland

Comments

I love this 'pointless' information, Niamh, particularly the fact that those streetnames have not changes in ages and ages! Cool.
    I forgot to mention that the streets are named after the trade that was originally located there. So Wine tavern street is obviously the street where the taverns were!
    There are also Castle St, Parliament St, Copper Alley, Wood Quay
    I want to go visit the Port of Cobh. Let's not forget the famous writer that hailed from Ireland: Oscar Wilde. Though he's credited as English, he grew up in Ireland and attended Portora (??). Also, Wlliam Wilde and Yeats knew each other. When Oscar went to Ireland, he was teased for his accent and Irish mannerisms, so he set about eradicating them from his life. Later, the English turned on him, and its a wonder he went to France rather than back home.
    Hes not the only Irish writer sometimes credited as British. G.B.Shaw, Bram Stoker, Oliver Goldsmith and Johnathan Swift are more.