View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Flunked Kindergarten?

Rate this Entry
Recently, I have encountered many examples of people acting in ways that they should have learned better about in kindergarten. There are many basics about dealing in a world where you are not the only; person that many people learn at a young age, but I have been encountering people who don’t even know how to deal with a line, and some people who never learned that one does nor block exits, stairs, etc. And today, there was one person who walked up behind me and grabbed my shoulders. I only yelled, turned quickly, and told the person to “Keep your hands off me.”

After that horrible event, I started thinking about it some more and all sorts of things came to mind that people who learned how to live in a crowded world would never do. Noise making is something that people should have learned to stop doing at an early age, but there are people who speak loudly too their telephones when they are in public places. Then there are some things that drivers do. Acting a if they were the only ones on the road.

There probably are people who never had the sort of directions that I received in kindergarten, taught by Mrs Ward. And another problem that I have is that I am in a university town, where there are people form all around he world, and some of them seem unable to operate in a modern society. A related problem is that many people believe advertising fluff, even though it is simply a pack of lies designed to get some people to buy some things.

There are many laws on the books that dictate how people should behave, and most of those laws are perfectly clear and reasonable, but few people ever read the laws, and the police are among those who have not read the laws, or, if they have read the laws they just don’t feel like enforcing them.

It’s one thing to sound off about a problem, butt I want to suggest a solution to the problem. Part of the problem is that many of the people who are misbehaving are too far along the Autism spectrum to be trained effectively. Even some of the polite and pleasant people have cognitive problems that result in them failing to understand problems in social settings. Another thing that comes to mind is that young people recently have not associated with other people as much as humans did in earlier times, because they use their internet enabled phones and other pieces of modern technology instead of dealing with humans. It might be that they never learned that there are up and down sides to stairs, and people keep right on sidewalks, just as they do when driving, but there are people who will charge right at me.

Comments

I never went to kindergarten... might explain a lot; I'm always uncomfortable in social settings to the point of anxiety where I eke by with medication. I'd be apt to put someone in the hospital by accident if someone grabbed me unawares. People where I live believe they have a right to their own rules living in the country... especially when it comes to the rules of the road... most annoying and potentially deadly. As it is, I get by with all the zaniness society has to offer by living a tenet from my faith: to be in the world but not of the world. I get your point about social media making people less social.

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
    tailor
    Kindergarten or similar may help, but I think the most important thing is the education one receives at home. And people change a lot from a generation to the next. I think today people are more outspoken and less polite.

I also feel uncomfortable at social gatherings, for example parties, unless I know all the people. I am very shy, but one develops some mechanisms to hide the shyness.
    I fully agree that social media makes people less social. On line people sometimes are more aggressive and say things they wouldn't if confronted physically with the other person. But grabbing a stranger on the street is weird.

On the other hand social communication through the internet can be soothing and helpful in times of forced isolation like pandemics. But I don't like social media with its gossip and hate waves. I prefer forums, which are more friendly.