View RSS Feed

Om

Quotes on Peace: Sri Ramana Maharshi, Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.

Rate this Entry
First ones are Sri Ramana Maharshi:
‘There are no impediments to meditation. The very thought of such obstacles is the greatest impediment.’

‘It is you who should see the sun. Can spectacles and the sun see for you? You yourself have to see your true nature. Not much aid is required for doing it!’
‘Wanting to reform the world without discovering one’s true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.’
’14. Just as the sun gives light to the moon this heart bestows the effulgence on the mind.’
‘By happy fraternity amongst themselves, the embodied beings get the supreme peace. Then all this earth shines like one house. When the men, the embodied beings treat each other with equal respect and have good brotherly feelings amongst themselves, great peace and harmony abound. Then all this earth shines like one house. The whole world shines like the one dwelling house of the entire human family.’
‘Peace is for the purification of one’s mind. Power is for the growth of the community. Having established the community with power, one should then establish supreme peace.’
Sri Ramakrishna:
‘It’s enough to have faith in one aspect of God. You have faith in God without form. That is very good. But never get into your head that your faith alone is true and every other is false. Know for certain that God without form is real and that God with form is also real. Then hold fast to whichever faith appeals to you.’
‘The Master said: “Everything that exists is God.” The pupil understood it literally, but not in the true spirit. While he was passing through a street, he met with an elephant. The driver (mahut) shouted aloud from his high place, “Move away, move away!” The pupil argued in his mind, “Why should I move away? I am God, so is the elephant also God. What fear has God of Himself?” Thinking thus he did not move. At last the elephant took him up by his trunk, and dashed him aside. He was severely hurt, and going back to his Master, he related the whole adventure. The Master said, “All right, you are God. The elephant is God also, but God in the shape of the elephant-driver was warning you also from above. Why did you not pay heed to his warnings?”‘

‘God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole.’
‘Women are, all of them, the veritable images of Śakti.’

‘One should not think, “My religion alone is the right path and other religions are false.” God can be realized by means of all paths. It is enough to have sincere yearning for God. Infinite are the paths and infinite the opinions.’
‘This māyā, that is to say, the ego, is like a cloud. The sun cannot be seen on account of a thin patch of cloud; when that disappears one sees the sun.’
‘As for me, I consider myself as a speck of the dust of the devotee’s feet.’
Thich Nhat Hanh:
‘There can be no peace in the world until there is peace between religions.’
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments