View RSS Feed

Entre Nous ;)

Poetry on the Divide

Rate this Entry

In honor of Earth Day we had a poetry reading for the community. Very sparse turnout but it was my first time in front of a microphone reciting poetry outdoors - so all good... the only butterflies were the ones flitting about in the abundant sunshine just before noon. We had three poets from our little group, including myself, and one from a sister group from a community across the South Fork of the American River.

Afterwards we poets journeyed down the hill from the amphitheater to the small ponds where American Indian Chief Copa Hembo has a memorial plaque. A lot of California Indian history hereabouts. We have rock depressions on our property where the Indians used to grind acorns for meal. There are also some wooden teepee replicas nearby the ponds where I espied a box turtle sunning itself until I spoke that if the turtle got too hot it could skedaddle into the cool pond.

We continued to share poetry with each other and a few of the community who followed. The poet from our sister group brought a tom tom for musical effect and just before our party broke up her husband regaled us with the spoken tale of Moose Turd Pie... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg
... hadn't heard it before so it was quite entertaining.

I'll be attending a reception for Arts on the Divide tomorrow after church... signed up for cleanup since I'll be late. It's to honor the artists 'round hyar, and since we poets chose to write poetry about some of the paintings in the gallery we were invited too

Entre nous,

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
tailor STATELY

Comments

Congrats! Seems you had a nice meeting, as what counts surely is the quality more than the quantity of the audience. Wish you luck for today!
    Thanx !

Sunday started out a bit squirrely; the missionary I had asked to give a 15-20 minute talk somehow got the dates confused... so I asked our second speaker whom I had also asked to speak two weeks ago, an ex-Bishop of ours, to go first and gave the missionary the option of speaking with the help of the spirit as our second speaker - or I could give a talk in his place (I keep a talk prepared just in case). The missionary said he'd have something by the time the now first speaker was done. When I announced to the congregation who was going to speak I added that if there was any time after both speakers were done I'd share some remarks as well. Time comes for the missionary to speak and he gives a wonderfully inspired talk... actually going a little into overtime. And later the church website was acting up so time got pushed back a bit and made me a little later than I anticipated for the reception.

Was a bright sunny reception, and as I said, I was late from church - but I still was able to offer two poems to the art patrons over the microphone before I assisted with the cleanup.

The Hen painting that was our inspiration for our ekphrastic poems was on a table in front of the microphone so the art crowd could see it. Someone, I believe from our poetry group, made beautiful matted framed presentations of our poems to display in the art gallery. The art gallery people were tickled because our efforts gave them some much needed press exposure. A nice little crowd for the venue overall in the garden.

I felt quite overdressed in my Sabbath Sunday best, sans jacket, which includes a bright red Jerry Garcia tie I was given a number of years ago, and, being a mint-teetotaler, a bit out of place with wine being available, but I got over that quick enough. I usually go all California casual/comfort (blue jeans for me mostly) as the rest of the group was attired, some a little bit more flamboyant than others.

As I walked around the little gallery I found some beautiful glazed poetry, and some lovely photo prints by local artists that I may consider for some gifts

And lastly, because of the beautiful weather samedi et dimanche there were many car clubs perusing our little rural Divide area... a caravan of Corvettes one day and Ferraris the next; and that's just what I saw on my very limited time on the road.

So, all in all, a wonderful day !

Entre nous,

tailor STATELY
    People are not so punctual at events as they used to be, even if they are the speakers. But you seem used to it.
    I now understand why everybody was "centered o a hen". A hen is a fine receptive figure. And to frame the poems for people to buy them was a nice idea!
    "And to frame the poems for people to buy them was a nice idea!"

... (lol) not for sale to my knowledge.

Entre nous,

tailor
    "As I walked around the little gallery I found some beautiful glazed poetry, and some lovely photo prints by local artists that I may consider for some gifts."

Sorry! I somehow thought they were the poems of your poetry group.