View RSS Feed

Entre Nous ;)

Howdy !!! with Roses... (ramblings)

Rate this Entry
Howdy !!!

I have often use the above affectation to start a post or conversation... it's folksy, and I believe I began using it after reading about Will Rogers the famous humorous, etc. It allows me to step out of my introvert tendencies - to open up and loosen up...

So, no wonder it became a source of great amusement to me when, years ago now, the great cartoonist Gary Larsen, who has begun 'tooning again in a limited way!!!, created a panel with vultures feeding on a corpse in the desert with one vulture wearing the deceased's cowboy hat uttering "Look at me, I'm a cowboy: Howdy, howdy, howdy !" or something to that effect. Cracks me up every time I think of it. I read his older cartoons, and the newer ones as he slowly doles them out, every day on the web... along with Dilbert and Calvin and Hobbs.

Oh, and I love ellipses... (sorry about that)

My roses...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JEtkdFPg9Y9XCR4f9

Going to join a "Zoom" meeting for the first time tomorrow for poetry/creative writing led by a writer, Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge, who has stalked some of my old stomping grounds in Chico, California at Bidwell Park https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidwell_Park . Bidwell Park,
which, as everyone knows, is a gem in northern California where part of the classic Robin Hood movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029843/?ref_=adv_li_i was shot starring Errol Flynn and the very recently passed Olivia de Havilland, and many other greats. Perhaps I can learn some tricks to help me with my writing.

Bidwell Park was a great getaway for me during a mind-numbing marriage breakup back in the late '80's... biking and walking and also soaking in the various cool pools and creeks in the hot summer. In reading Susan's book poemcrazy, which I got for FREE for signing up!, chapter 1 she describes her walks through One Mile at Bidwell Park https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x808327 , an area I fondly recall, she states "For me, poetry is related to walking". Many of my best writing ideas, and poems, have come from/by walking. I feel she may be a kindred spirit

Speaking of walking, I've not been able to do any exercise walking for about a month. I overdid some walking and developed a very large blood-blister on the sole of my right foot, that remains, about 1 and 7/8 inches in diameter ( 4.76 cm ). It only hurt the first day, but I was loath to burst the blister for fear of infection. (I really need to stop buying thrift-store shoes).

I'm also working on a talk for Sacrament meeting, at church, for this Sunday: Ideas have come and gone... need to buckle down. Having church every two weeks is the current plan during the California Covid-19 implementation for our county, with masks and social distancing and other safeguards being dealt with (no more than 99 in attendance/etc.)... on off-weeks Sacrament is held at various church member's homes in small groups. Most of California is still restricted much more than my rural county... our county doubled our deaths this week: now 2. In fact if it wasn't for Lake Tahoe in our county the number of cases would be half or so and, I believe, zero deaths.

Doing my laundry now... (did I say I love ellipses?)... two loads: whites and non-whites. When the water is done then going to swap out and tackle a broken dish washer.

Taffy Doodles, kitty, is still long in the tooth but hanging in there at about 16-18 years old. Tinker Bell has been naughty, what's new?, and pawed open a mouse hole... and still torments Rosie when she's in the house... and no, I haven't posted any cat pictures lately. Bunny rabbit Thumper (or Bumper) is happy as can be for an indoor bunny: he loves bananas and apples. We won't mention the dog (beyond this).

Granddaughter Ashley (she'll be 20 in November?) has flown the coop and lives with her Air Force beau back on the East Coast (sigh). Before she left I gifted her with a necklace with many dragonflies on it and 2-matching earrings. Home school starts soon for our soon to be 12 year old Grandson... that will be an eye-opener. Other than that the family is fine (where's my Great-grandson been ?).

Going to be 100° F today ( 37.78° C ) in Gold Country today... started the swamp cooler at 9 am PDT... already 84° F in the house. Needless to say PG&E, our local power monopoly, will be sorely tested for power demands.

Oh, and speaking of Magalia, a concern has decided to turn the defunct and over-run (and recovering from the fire) golf course next to where I used to live into a frisbee/disk course... who'd a'thunk ?

Entre nous,

Ta ! (short for tarradiddle),
tailor
Categories

Comments

(update) Power did go off for a few hours today... https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article244979030.html ... First time in nearly 20 years. Still 83° F ( 28.3° C ) in the house with the swamp cooler cranked up at 10:25 pm PDT. Last time we changed out a State governor...

tailor
    Hi, Tailor

What a beautiful collection of roses you have put together!
    "Zoom" meetings probably are fun each one talking from his square! They are certainly the thing to protect one´s health, during Covid times. I hope the course is enriching.

I hope your church meetings are also on line, 99 in attendance sounds like a bad joke, I hope it is one. There are about about 70 people too many. I read that once the virus arrives, it becomes difficult to control him. The track usually gets lost because of the asymptomatic. And religious gathering as any gathering may be a source of contagion.

I hope your foot gets better soon. Maybe you really have to change your shoes. Or get comfort insoles.

Glad your animals are all kicking according to age and temperament.

What about baby?

Those are Brazilian Summer temperatures you are having there. And I saw in the news that the burnings in California have started again.

Power is usually ok here, but it has oscillated a bit of late.
    I love your beautiful roses! Happy Sunday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee
    I love your beautiful roses! Happy Sunday!
    Thank you !!! Had a wonderful Sunday (wasn't even nervous for my 30 minute or so talk in Sacrament meeting... which is unusual for me; perhaps wearing a mask while talking to a masked congregation of 70 or so kept me distracted)... and hope you had a happy Sunday too ! I added a few more pictures today that the link should update.

Just to clarify there are only 7-rose plants but I try to take pictures of the best each day as they evolve and new flowers erupt in glorious color: they smell divine. Still looking for inexpensive permanent pots to bed them in.

tailor
    Hi, Tailor

What a beautiful collection of roses you have put together!
    "Zoom" meetings probably are fun each one talking from his square! They are certainly the thing to protect one´s health, during Covid times. I hope the course is enriching.

I hope your church meetings are also on line, 99 in attendance sounds like a bad joke, I hope it is one. There are about about 70 people too many. I read that once the virus arrives, it becomes difficult to control him. The track usually gets lost because of the asymptomatic. And religious gathering as any gathering may be a source of contagion.

I hope your foot gets better soon. Maybe you really have to change your shoes. Or get comfort insoles.

Glad your animals are all kicking according to age and temperament.

What about baby?

Those are Brazilian Summer temperatures you are having there. And I saw in the news that the burnings in California have started again.

Power is usually ok here, but it has oscillated a bit of late.
    ?
    Danik