View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Great Publicity

Rate this Entry
I have written against marketing lies, but I never before have seen a publicity campaign as successful as what has been done with Coronavirus. Until a few months ago, most people would have expressed ignorance, if they were asked about Coronavirus; although a few would remember SARS and/or MERS. There are a few people who have actually looked into it, and I even used Coronavirus in a novel, Harry's Time Tours (soon to be renamed Causation). I recently reread that section of Causation, and it was like reading recent news, except...; you will have to read it to find out the differences.

I have known for a long time that marketing could get people to buy things that they don't need, like bottled water, or pay premium prices for things of inferior quality, like Apple products, but I was surprised when marketing sold people on a completely unqualified person for high governmental office, Trump elected president (although that was only a small extension of what was done with poor Ronnie Reagan). But I am very surprised by what they have done with Coronavirus. They took a fairly common virus and turned it into a celebrity.

Usually, there is someone behind a product who tries too make lots of money from it, but I don't know who is behind the big push for Coronavirus, unless it is someone who makes something for treating it. With bottled water, we knew that Nestles Corp was selling the water, and Apple is all about selling over-priced electronics, but I don't know what product is being connected to Coronavirus, but it might not have been introduced, yet. There are medicines that act against, so I wonder if someone will try to make one of those into a blockbuster. The things that are supposed to cure colds haven't become big, but that that might be because people found out that cold viruses eat cancerous cells, thus curing certain cancers.

Take a look at the best marketing campaigns of all time. Some I never saw, and most of the products I have never had, but someone thought they were great campaigns. One campaign that isn't include was Nestles bottled water campaign, but that created a new industry for North America. And it wasn't a marketing campaign, but it led to a new paradigm, that was the 8/11 attack and the response to it. If the response had been better thought out, the terrorists could have been destroyed, but that didn't happen. There have been other campaigns in public policy that have led to great changes but were not regarded as marketing; although a few were clearly sold.

Take a look at the linked articles about allegedly great marketing campaigns. I have never heard of some of those, and it doesn't mention Nestles' bottled water campaign, but the present Coronavirus campaign is much better than any of the ones mentioned. We will have to wait to find out whether this campaign will have the long term effect of bottled water, but it may. The big question is who will profit from this campaign. Hand washing might gain, but the makers of hand soap would have to find a way to cash in. The medical industry might like to gain from the campaign, but they haven't provided any relevant product, yet. The government may want to extend its power, but there aren't many opportunities to order quarantines, and such things make people unhappy. Money managers who don't lose much money may gain, but it will take time for them to cash in.

It would be a real pity, if no one gained from such a great marketing campaign.

https://www.bluleadz.com/blog/20-of-...ns-of-all-time

Comments

The main gainers in the UK seem to be the supermarkets ( panic buying) and the producers of: toilet rolls, rice, pasta and tinned baked beans! This is closely followed by pharmacy's and payment to all kinds of experts that appear on TV. Perhaps barter with toilet rolls, hand gel and face masks will replace money?