View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Hat in the Ring?

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Has the time come for me to toss my hat into the ring for the presidency of the United States of America in 2020?

The U.S.A. hasn't had an independent president since Washington. And I doubt that any party would be willing to back me, except maybe the Libertarian Party. Or I could declare that I am with the Classical Liberal Party, and that would confuse most people. Having someone at the top who was as unconnected from political insiders and criminals world be refreshing. Several years ago I thought about starting the Radical Reform Party, so maybe I could go with that.

My issues are clear and easy to understand: make government get out of the way of people who want to do something but continue to provide those services that are necessary. Perhaps it would be even more important to respect the Ninth and Tenth Amendments, which would substantially shrink the federal government and make it possible for the states to operate as they wish in some issue; it would make the country more diverse, and that would please some people.

Vigorous enforcement of Equal Protection before the law would be the hallmark of my administration, and that would help most people; the only ones who would be harmed would be those who had received substantial benefits from the government that were not available to all.

A large part of equality before the law would be equality in taxation. There would be no more differential treatment of income and expenses, depending on how thoroughly Congress had been treated by lobbyists. There would be no need to tax some people at higher rates, because everyone would be paying on the same basis.

But the country wouldn't need nearly as much in tax revenue, because expenses would be greatly reduced, and the largest decrease in expenses would be in the Defense Department. For decades the United States has been sending military assistance to a variety of countries that have simply fueled partisan feuds without increasing the security of the United States. There is no need for the U.S.A. to try to export Classical Liberal values. If other countries want to be ruled by petty, ignorant, ego-maniacal dictators, that's their business. We can sympathize, but getting rid of Trump is enough for us.

The people of the United States of America are being robbed. This country is ours. In the Constitution the Federal government was lent certain, specific powers. Over time the Federal government has enlarged those few, limited powers into anything that they wanted to do. It would be pointless to point fingers, and we don’t care who was to blame; we want our country back. Because of the amount and range of powers that have been stolen, it won’t be easy to straighten things out.

We will have to start with the basics. Congress was lent the power to legislate in regard to certain matters, and Congress will have to restrict itself to those matters. That will mean that there will be no more “assistance” for specific projects, so-called pork. And we will have to hand many things back to the States. It is unfortunate that the states have become dependent on federal money, but it should be easy to raise state taxes to replace federal money. People will have to decide how much they want to pay at all. We may as well start with cabinet level departments that have to be closed down. I suggest that the following departments be retained: State, Treasury, Justice, Commerce, Defense, Interior, State, Treasury, Post office and telecommunications, and Revenue. Energy, Labor, Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Agriculture would be combined with Commerce. Veterans Affairs would be part of the Defense Department. The Departments of Education and Health and Human Services would be eliminated. The Homeland Security department would be eliminated and agencies would be organized where they rightly belong.

These are just a few of the issues that I will address. There are many issues that the federal government has wormed its way into that are not matters that should be addressed either by the states or not at all. The fundamental purpose of government is to allow the people to do their business. Let’s do just that.

Comments