I 8 a star

Rate this Entry
I get bored of saying Day X every day.
So yeah. It’s a star today.

I got some bread.
How is that news?
It’s rye bread.
Wow.

I’ve been wanting to try healthier things for a while. It’s just that they’re kind of boring. Usually, around New Year I end up thinking to myself. You know what I need? Lettuce. Or something like it.
I usually stock up on Christmas things throughout the month of December and feel bad for the things that didn’t get sold in time so must be reduced or disposed of after a holiday/event. I also get new things to try out for Christmas. For example a new Christmas biscuit that I haven’t tried before. So the month of December is very foody and unhealthy food at that.
I’ve actually turned a pretty big corner now though.
I can’t seem to eat the fatty sugary things with as much ease as I used to. Sure I’d feel sick but I just ignored it. But now when ever I think of something like that, for example a cake bar (one of those little cake fingers with surprisingly dense sponge cake with artificial colouring and sickly icing that isn’t very good anyway) I remember how sick they make me feel. So I’m steering away from that sort of thing.
Don’t get your hopes up though. There’s no way I’m eating a fresh salad every day and going for a five mile run every day.
I’m still an unhealthy slob and always will be. It’s just that I can’t feel happy eating the rubbish I used to.

And I’m getting older. So I need to change my ways fast. I think that youth has been the one thing stopping me from turning into a massive sack of pudding. Yes. I am fat. But not round and bits of me don’t sag. Yet. But I know that changes once you reach a certain age. So if I don’t try to make some changes now then I’ll probably die before I’m 60. Or I’ll look 80 when I am 60.

It’s not just a conscious decision though. I’m sure my tastes are changing. I don’t know if it’s just from age or just experience but I can eat things that I would never eat before and I don’t like things that I used to love.

So anyway. I eat a lot of bad things throughout December but mostly between Christmas and New Year and I worry about my health. Then I think I should start eating better in the New Year but I don’t like making New Years resolutions. Why wait until the New Year to do something? Sure it’s a nice little push at the start but how long do you keep it up. How long do most people stop smoking or go to the gym for until they give in? There’s probably a bunch of statistics about it somewhere but the answer is already obvious. More fail than succeed.
And this week I wasn’t feeling like eating much when we went shopping so, after looking at is for the past few months, I finally got myself some rye bread from the health food section. I figured I’d give it a go and see how I feel.
Now. I can’t say that I like it. I’ve never had bread that is specifically rye bread before as far as I know so I can’t say how I feel about it in general, just this particular one. But I’m not a fan. It’s not bad but I wouldn’t choose it over any other bread. I have it with a slice of cheese and that makes it better.
I’ll finish the loaf but I don’t think I’ll be getting it again in a hurry.

Today I had it with a bowl of fruit on the side to pick at because I got a bunch of fruit too. That’s not a new thing. I do that once in a while but usually forget about it or have a bit and then forget, that always bugs me.

I used it like eating fruit when I was little and I know I should eat it more but it’s complicated. It’s messy and sticky to cut up because it’s not a convenient snack if it’s not bite size. It usually comes straight out of the fridge (where we keep the softer fruits for freshness) so it’s cold and hurts my teeth. It goes off so quickly so it doesn’t have as long a shelf life as crisps, for example, so it just ends up being wasted and then I feel bad about it. And you always get a few bitter ones that ruin the experience.
So you’d think that dried fruit would be the way to go. But no. It sticks in your teeth. It’s either crunchy of chewy. If you believe everything that you read then the preservatives on it will kill you faster than eating none at all.
So my relationship with healthy food is kind of complicated.

Anyway. I’ve rambled and I think I missed the point of what I was originally going to say. Anyway. I have to walk the dog.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I was wondering what kind of journal you were writing BB, until I remembered the German Advent time. It starts four Sundays before Christmas. One puts up an Advent Whreat with four candles and each Advent Sunday one candle is lit:
    https://www.google.com.br/search?q=a...eBjI-SBmYD6wM:

Also we had an Advent Calendar with a Christmas picture and 25 small windows. Every day one opens the corresponding picture, which contains a small image and in some version a chocolate.

I think your journal is covering the days that lead up to Christmas.
    Correct. I have an advent calendar and every day I open it and tell you what’s inside. Then I’ll just talk about something else while I’m here. Just for fun.