Barmy Blue's Bland Blog

On the Fifth Day of Christmas?

Rate this Entry
A cuute teaaddyy beear

Four calling birds
Three French hens
Two turtle doves
And a partridge in a pear tree.

So, Onion rings?......I need to clean my glasses.

When I was little I had a cassette tape (shows how old I am) of Micky Mouse and friends singing Christmas songs. My favourite is the Twelve Days of Christmas because individual characters get a certain part of the song. The ďhumanĒ singing the lead in all of the songs has the partridge, Mickey has the doves and so on. Five rings is sung by Goofy and at one point instead of singing ďfive golden ringsĒ he shouts ďfive ONION ringsĒ and laughs. I always found that funny. I should still have that tape buried somewhere in the house. I wonder if I can dig it up. It could be anywhere though and I wouldnít even know where to start.

Additional news.
Anyone ever wondered about my mumís Christmas tree?
Well. We found the problem.
The trunk snapped. So no hope of recovery. We suspect the main culprit to be ivy that was left too long and matured into a tree. Itís really really tough.
I have hope that he can grow a shoot from his trunk and still survive but since it was autumn it wasnít really prime growing season for trees.
I took several cuttings, got some rooting powder and am seeing if they grow. Iím very doubtful but at least this will help me to accept the loss of that lovely old tree.
We still havenít recovered the end that snapped because it was too hard to get out so we sawed through it at a point that we could reach. Hat to cut of a lot of lower branches and finally managed to get him stood up.
Now. I mentioned earlier that Iíd put him in a bucket. Thatís not entirely true. Iím using it as a bucket but itís actually a bin. When I was younger we had a bin. Just a regular round bin. Quite some time ago now, the council introduced wheelie bins, bigger more convenient and relatively fox proof. So since then our old bin, because of course we wouldnít get rid of it, has been sat at the back of the garden just growing moss and not bothering anyone.
So I went and rinsed that off, carried it through the house to the back garden and managed to put the tree in it. It was too high and the tree too heavy to lift into the bin so I tried to use a little physics to lever it up from a sideways position. Of course a limited understanding of physics alone canít make up for lack of upper body strength or two pairs of arms. Luckily mum came home about that time so I got her to help me. I didnít like leaving the lovely branches Iíd had to cut off so stuffed those into the bin too, rather like flower arranging but with a tree, to bush out the bottom, then filled it with water.
The tree, being allowed to grow wild, is lopsided and looks quite sad but he looks a Hell of a lot better than he did laying on the floor waiting to rot. Heís a stubborn creature. Heís still green, mostly. Heís definitely a credit to his species. Iím thinking that when he does finally die completely we might put him out for Christmas tree collection with this yearís Christmas tree. Itíll be sad to see him go but at least heíd be going with a companion.
Now you might think it odd to put a tree in a bin but It was actually pretty nostalgic.
When I was little we had a large bucket and I mean large. This can hold a couple of gallons easily. And weíd get some bricks out of the garden (donít forget my dadís a builder so we had about 7 or so left over from something he did out there) weíd sweep of the dirt and bugs. Leave them aside to dry if need be then, when it was time, carefully stack them in the bucket. Saw off more branches than mum thought were necessary because donít forget itís a bucket so itís very high. Place the tree. Line some more bricks around it to keep it steady. When it was finally steady fill it with water and put a gold wrap around the bucket to make it more festive because itís just a plain black bucket.
Then one year we got a stand. The bucket was fine itís just that it was a lot of effort. But the stand we got was a nightmare. I vaguely remember mum having to hammer a plastic bit into the bottom of the tree and it being very hard to do and having to use a chisel and complaining that this was supposed to be easier but it was harder. In the end it worked out but never again. Next year, I think, we got a better stand and I think thatís the one we still use.
So a Christmas tree in, what is essentially a big pot, is not alien to me in the slightest.
In fact, when I was in nursery school we had to paint a Christmas tree and because the bucket was so iconic I took up about a third of the paper just painting a bucket. Had to be brown though because we didnít have black. But I made the tree too big too and suddenly realised that Iíd run out of paper so I couldnít put a star on top. I was disappointed so I just painted a yellow line at the top in place of a star. Itís actually still on the wall. I see it every day.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments