View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Space and Time Travel

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
It has come to my attention that there are some people who do not think that time travel (that is, travel through time at a rate that is different from the ordinary velocity) is possible. It has been mathematically proven that time travel is possible (see link below), General Relativity predicts time travel, and many interpretations of Quantum Theory allow or require that time travel exist.

This started as thoughts on the Nature of Space, but time and space are part of the same thing. the Time Traveller in H. G. Wells The Time Machine asked his group whether a cube that lasted for no time really existed as a way to get them to think about time in the same light as the physical dimensions. Obviously a cube three inches to the side that exists for zero time has as much existence as if it had no physical dimensions.

The Space.com article link below) is a review of some ideas of what space is, and there still is no definite answer. I think that the idea of space as a substrate upon which the physical universe sits is a useful concept, and either space is curved, the word "curved" in that usage is figurative, but mass does make space act as if it were an elastic sheet that deformed in proportion to the mass of something in it.

The other concept of space in the space.com article is as the locations of things to keep things separate. While one of the things that space and time dimensions do is to keep everything from happening at the same time and in the same location, That is simplistic, The concept of space and time as the substrate up which the universe is built makes more sense, and can be explained, but it skates very close to Aether Theory which was generally abandoned in the early 20th century, because Einstein's Special Relativity included everything important about it, including the Lorentz Transformations, but space-time is static, and an important feature of Aether is drift, which results in light or anything travelling through space to drift with the Aether. And another factor in the general abandonment of aether was the misunderstanding of the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment that gave results that were different from what Aether Theory predicted, but were consistent with aether drift and entrainment of aether; that is that aether tends to collect around large masses

But in space-time we have the Great Attractor, which appears to be a large mass at the center of the Laniakea Supercluster. This thing is only known through its effect on galaxies, and the effect is wide spread. In effect, most of the visible galaxies are drifting toward that thing. Aether also has some mass; although that is not completely certain, and it is possible that so-called 'dark matter' is Aether. It is possible that there is another explanation for the attractor, but Aether drift fills the bill nicely, and Aether also provides other things that the universe might need, such as mass. The bulk of the mass in the universe is not ordinary matter, but Aether has mass, and it can become wrapped around normal matter.

There are several reasons why many physicists do not want to use the idea of Aether again, and the biggest one is that Special Relativity requires that there be no "inertial frame of reference", and many people insist that Aether is an inertial frame of reference, but it isn't or need not be.

Another factor that is often neglected is the matter of quantum foam, another term used to refer to the underlying substrate of the universe. While virtual particles come out of the quantum foam. Quantum foam is not made from ordinary particles. Aether could be the same as quantum foam, and simplicity suggests that it would be a good fit.

If time is simply one of the four dimensions, and space is shaped such that the space-time dimensions are all distortions in the fabric of space-time, then the quantum foam, or other substrate, must interact with mass, which means that it would have mass. And if time is just one of the four dimensions, then it should be possible to go in any direction in time.

Unfortunately, no one has publicly announced the successful use of any technique for travelling in time at other than the ordinary rates and direction, except for subatomic particle, nothing macroscopic. If I discovered it, then I would not announce it publicly; although I might publish some of my results as works of fiction, just for fun.

If you look for evidence of time travel, then you will find a lot of garbage. There are a few examples of people being displaced in time that might be true, but there is no evidence beyond the story.

I could go on, but it gets stranger.

https://www.space.com/38791-what-is-...ill-rages.html
TT mathematically proven
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...82/aa6549/meta
TT done
http://anonhq.com/australian-scienti...l-is-possible/

Updated 11-27-2017 at 03:19 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I prefer genealogy. There's less chance of getting plague.
    It depends on how deeply one digs into their ancestry.
    Ahh, finally ... I can comment here, PeterL!
    Well, just wanted to say how fascinating this whole topic is and how truly mind-boggling the whole concept of time-travel is... wow!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_paws
    Ahh, finally ... I can comment here, PeterL!
    Well, just wanted to say how fascinating this whole topic is and how truly mind-boggling the whole concept of time-travel is... wow!
    Yea and verily it is a fascinating subject. The more the better.

And Scheherazade informed me that she thinks that matter of staying signed in can be handled by checking the box when one logs in.