View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

How Long?

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Donald Trump has been president of the United States of America for days, but because of his ignorance of relevant laws and procedures, he has already done several things that could be considered high crimes and misdemeanors adequate for impeachment and removal from office. In addition, he has demonstrated an extreme lack of interest in the real job of the president, which is to enforce the actions of the Congress. In business Trump has been unsuccessful, except when he has declared bankruptcy and gotten off without paying debts, the old cut and run. He is already the least competent president the country has has, and that includes W Bush, so it’s saying a lot.

The questions are: how long Trump will remain president and how he will leave office. The possibilities are resignation, either under threat or voluntary; impeachment and conviction for actions taken as president; Impeachment and conviction for actions taken before election; Removal under the twenty-fifth amendment (incompetence); death by sickness; death by other means; or other.

My personal opinion is that he will resign within the next twelve months, because he will learn that he can’t do what he wants to do. There are a fair number of things that might be the specific triggers to such a resignation. For example, someone might mention to him that it would be treason to try to sell the East Coast to a consortium of Chinese and Russian developers. Other items that would have a similar effect would include selling the U.S. Air Force to Putin, or giving U.S. ICBMs to Kim Jong-Un as birthday presents.

But seriously, I think that Trump will become bored with the presidency. Other people think that he will run afoul of the law and be impeached, and it is possible that his failure to give his business holdings away probably has made him guilty of accepting emoluments from foreign governments. Apparently, his business holdings are so broad that he probably has something to do with several foreign governments, and any payments from them not approved by Congress are violations of the Constitution.

Other people have mentioned other pitfalls that he has created, and one of the more likely one was the suggestion that one of the Indians involved in opposing the DAPL will do him in. That wouldn't be a good idea, but there are some very strong feelings, so it might happen. Others have mentioned the unhappiness of federal employees that might make one go postal. This is not a pleasant thought, but it is within the realms of possibility.

I just read the Twenty-fifth Amendment (https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxxv). It would make a horrid mess, but if the Vice President wanted to make a mess, then, with a cooperative Congress, he could bring the government to a halt. I’m not the only one who has thought of the 25th in this regard; even salon.com, which is pretty sane had this article: http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/dont...t-impeachment/ , and there are many other search results for ‘25th amendment Trump’, if you are interested. Things rarely happen quickly in Washington, so I don’t expect anything at all until Summer, by which time courts will have ruled on the validity of some of his executive orders, and other actions may be moving forward. And Washington largely closes for the Summer, so there will be something by the end of June, or September will see action against Trump, or something else. I do think that Trump will get sick of being unable to do anything and being insulted by everyone, and sometime in the Autumn he will resign. That will bring on great cheering until the cheerers notice that Pence is starting to get through Congress the bills that Trump suggested. But I’m usually wrong abut political results, so it will be something else.

So, readers, what do you think? How long will Trump serve, and in what way will he leave office?

Comments

Hard to say. If the first week was anything to go by, the reactions both in the US and overseas are such that he might last six months before being impeached as mentally unstable.

What is interesting is that some of the heavy guns like the Federal judge who put a block on his immigration executive order are beginning to stick their heads above the parapet. What is shameful is those Republicans that try to distance themselves from him, yet hope that by keeping a low profile, they will retain their jobs ( McCain excepted, which should do him good in the long run.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MANICHAEAN
    Hard to say. If the first week was anything to go by, the reactions both in the US and overseas are such that he might last six months before being impeached as mentally unstable.
    ". . .he might last six months before being impeached as mentally unstable." O.K., I can understand that. The wheels of justice roll slowly.

What is interesting is that some of the heavy guns like the Federal judge who put a block on his immigration executive order are beginning to stick their heads above the parapet. What is shameful is those Republicans that try to distance themselves from him, yet hope that by keeping a low profile, they will retain their jobs ( McCain excepted, which should do him good in the long run.)
    The one decision I read about lifting the order suspending the executive questioned whether the need was immediate. It looks like an issue that will get to the Supreme Court quickly. I wonder whether the Supreme Court has docket space available for this session.
    Obviously, you didn't follow Bill Clinton's presidency for the high crimes and misdemeanors. I thought there was a rule against political commentary... but I'm rather amazed that so many Americans are ready to chuck the whole country, the Constitution, the procedures of government, freedom & liberty... in an all out effort to destroy everything rather than to allow President Donald Trump an opportunity to bring back our economic health and MAGA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz
    Obviously, you didn't follow Bill Clinton's presidency for the high crimes and misdemeanors. I thought there was a rule against political commentary... but I'm rather amazed that so many Americans are ready to chuck the whole country, the Constitution, the procedures of government, freedom & liberty... in an all out effort to destroy everything rather than to allow President Donald Trump an opportunity to bring back our economic health and MAGA.
    Apparently you haven't noticed the difference between Clinton's crimes and Trump's crimes. Clinton's crimes involved personal behavior, while Trump has engaged in crimes that are against the country. Clinton had a sexual affair and tried to cover it up, but Trump is trying to profit from his office, and that is explictly7 forbidden by the Constitution. I am still amazed that anyone voted for Trump. The late Pat Paulsen would have been a better president, but he just campaigned for laughs.

I haven't heard from anyone who is interested in chucking the government. What I see and hear are people who want to actually use the laws and constitution to get rid of Trump before he does anything worse.
    Mr. Trump is qualified to serve based on the qualifications in the Constitution and was duly elected president under the electoral college system set forth by the Constitution. He is implementing the policies which he was elected upon and is actually carrying them out unlike most elected officials in high office. If We the People are not satisfied with his performance, we may vote in the Opposition Party in the midterms election, as was done Mr. Clinton and Mr. Obama. Impeachment is the last recourse and is very unlikely given the Republican control of both Houses of Congress.

If qualifications were a real issue Mr. Clinton was less qualified than the elder Mr. Bush, who served as President, Vice President, Director of the CIA, among other high level appointments but Mr. Clinton was voted in anyway.