View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

A New Holiday

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
I am opposed to holidays. They get in the way, and they direct attention towards some particular culture’s preference. Most holidays are derived from ancient superstitions or from national history, but they are all connected with some particular culture. We as a country seem to be trying to get away from validating or invalidating particular cultures, except for out own, but we Americans still use imported holidays that belong to other cultures. Christianity was largely lifted from Judaism, and most of our holidays are religious in nature. The only ones that are not are Thanksgiving Day and Independence Day (even if the wrong day is celebrated.). I think that we should dump the religious days and add a few non-religious days.

Easter Sunday is out, but Easter itself should be celebrated. Labor Day should be assigned to appreciating what our mothers have done for us, and we should match it with Intromission Day, which is the first Friday in December. Friday is appropriate, because it is named after Frigg(a), Norse Goddess and wife of Odin, while she is not Freyja, she is a mother Goddess also. Easter is the day when domestic animals come into estrus, but it is appropriate that humans not be on the same schedule, because the gestation period for humans is so much longer than for most other animals. So the period from the first Friday in December to the first Monday in the following September is for the gestation period.

That leaves us with two universal human holidays, and in this country there will also be the two civil holidays Thanksgiving and Independence Days. Other countries may want other days, and that's fine with me, and I suppose that various clubs, civic organizations, religions, and so on will have days when they meet or celebrate some ancient event, and that's dandy, but they have to remember that the rest of us don't care about their club's rules. Great trouble has come from some people thinking their preferences were what everyone should prefer, and we have to back away from such beliefs in the future.

Middle aged religions are the biggest offenders. The truly ancient religions (Zarathrustrian, Yezidi, Druidism, etc.) don't have much organization to lead it in war against other people, so they don't especially care when who celebrates what. And the neo-religions don't seem to have any new holidays; they just deal with the pre-existing holidays. But the religions that are of middling age, such as Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc. seem to think that they have the right answers, and they purport to be true for everyone, think their version of truth is best for everyone; these ones have tried to impose their preference on others.

I had a better blog planned, but Intromission Day comes but once a year, and I didn't want to miss it again. Remember the first Friday in December is Intromission Day. This is between thirty-nine and forty weeks before Labor Day, and I understand that Obstetricians are saying that full term in forty weeks for the best results. And now there are only four holidays in America.

Updated 12-01-2016 at 07:16 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments