View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Volunteering

Rate this Entry
A rising tide lifts all ships.

Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves.
-- Benjamin Franklin

It looks like I won’t find the perfect pith quote for this, but maybe this shouldn’t have a beautiful quote. I have been driven to write this, because I received an award for volunteering with an organization that has done me a lot of good. I volunteered not because I was looking to gain points with anyone or anything; I was there, and I could do something useful, so I have done so. The organization is the Amherst Survival Center, which started as neighbors heling neighbors wit a soup kitchen weekly meal and food distribution. It began forty years ago, and I was aware of it at the time, but I was not involved, because I didn’t need it.

More recently, I have needed the services, and the group that started as a dozen, or so, now serves hundreds, and I have been one of those. Since I was there, I offered my services. It’s too large for it to be neighbors helping each other anymore, but the same principle applies. But I haven’t volunteered for my benefit; although it is true that a rising tide lifts all ships, except for the ones that have sunk. I volunteered more as a way to pass some time, so it always seemed odd that people would thank me for doing something. When I was given The President's Volunteer Service Award, I almost found it funny, but there were other reasons for it, so it made sense, but I won’t go into that.

I don't know why other people assist in such organizations, but one reason why I do is that I have the time, and it is usually amusing. I have met some very nice people and some others that are not so nice. I work in reception, so I mostly just greet and tell people where to go, if they don't already know. I have done a substantial amount of similar things in the past, and I enjoy meeting strangers. I often prefer that only have to interact with them for a moment, but sometimes a longer interaction would be preferred.

Nor do I know why other people volunteer at the Amherst Survival Center, but I have gotten the impression that there are many different reasons. This or any other organization does fill needs for socializing in addition to needs for food and other things and services. Maybe I should see if one of the university students who volunteers for course credit is doing a psychological profile of volunteers and why they volunteer. That would be an interesting project. It world demand many in-depth interviews or good observations and applying fancy footwork to guesses. I'll ask about that. That isn't a project that I would like to take on, but I have thought about setting a short story there. The characters are already in place. I just need to think of a plot that is good enough to interest me. There is guy who jokes about the CIA base on Mars and the apples from the Mung Valley there, etc. One day I concluded that he was kidding, but more recently he tried to convince me that some of the ancient civilizations were started by aliens. Even if he isn't kidding, he is a pleasant sort.

Or I could use some of the issues that come up there as the center of the plot, but would I use staff or guests? Volunteering does give me things to think about; I haven't done it for nothing. Another time I wrote about enlightened self-interest.

Presidential Service Awards
https://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/

Survival Center
https://amherstsurvival.org

Bill Moyers A Rising Tide Lifts All Yachts
http://billmoyers.com/2014/06/04/a-r...ts-all-yachts/

Comments