View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Let's Upgrade To Monarchy

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
I was reminded recently that monarchy really is the best and most efficient form of government, and, if the monarch is reasonably intelligent, then it is the most humane form of government. But the best thing about monarchy is that it eliminates silly, wasteful, and unpleasant elections, and it makes it relatively unlikely that the dregs of society will end up involved in running a country.

By dregs I mean people like Donald Trump. In my brief life we have had some amazingly incompetents people as president of the U.S.A. (I won’t bother naming names, but most [nearly all] are included), but Trump is clearly in a class by himself. He may be as unfit as the unfortunate Ronnie Reagan was. As bad as W Bush was, Trump would be worse from his first day in office.

In the last few decades we have become accustomed to presidents casually breaking laws with complete impunity, but Trump is stealing a march; he started doing that decades ago. Hillary doesn’t get a free pass here, but the things that she has been accused of showed poor sense and little regard for the letter of the law, but the email thing doesn’t appear to have actually broken any laws, but that’s an aside. From what has come out about his unwillingness to pay as per contracts could be construed as larceny by fraud. In most cases things of that ilk are handled as civil actions, but he had so many over so long a time that someone should have made a criminal complaint. It’s almost impossible to run a business and not steer a little on the wrong side of the law sometimes, but Trump made a career of it. And then there was his campaign manager who had worked for Putin.

On the other hand, I have never been arrested for anything, ever, and unlike Trump I have never declared bankruptcy (not yet anyway), and I have never messed around with government classified emails, but Trump didn’t either.

I believe that I know more about politics and foreign policy than Trump does. I even have a Somaliland policy, and Trump probably never even heard of Somaliland. I have been following international news since before it was fashionable (it is fashionable now, isn’t it?). I have informed opinions about nearly all of the facets of the U.S. government and its activity. There are people who probably disagree with my opinions, but we will have Guillotines set up shortly after I take over as Emperor, so we are not concerned with them.

Another thing on the plus side for monarchy is that the American people seem to like monarchs. All too much attention is paid to the British royal family in this country, even though we kicked that bunch of thieves and clowns out more than 230 years ago. Having our own royals would allow Americans to dote on the royals and remain patriotic at the same time. We could even have a small group of nobles who could help out in amusing the masses. Real nobles instead to actors, actresses, libertines, and flashy fools would be good examples for the masses, and they might get more involved in horseracing, steeplechase, and cricket.

It will take a few hundred years to build and properly age a suitable set of castles and palaces, but we can start now, and everything will be fine my three hundredth anniversary of coronation.

A few people may complain that losing the right to elect representatives would be a great loss for the American people, but the American people barely even notice the issues, and their interests would be better served by my decrees. And, when we consider the people who have been elected, it would have been better to select them by lottery. I will confess that there have been some excellent people who have served in the U.S. Senate and House, but they have been greatly outnumbered by people who were better suited to be scarecrows. The same is true on the state level. Most of the people who get involved in politics in the U.S.A. do so for their personal advantage, and many of them make out like bandits; that poor slob who was governor of Illinois was retired, because they dropped many of the charges, and he was given the same sentence, and the poor guy didn't do anything that any other governor would have done; he just had the misfortune to be recorded at the wrong time.

Anyway, vote for me for Emperor.

Comments