View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Minority President

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
It was more than a year ago when I first thought that the 2016 presidential election would be very interesting, and it continues to look interesting. The polls have Hillary with a plurality, but she is at the limit of here favorability, and Trump is also at the limit of his favorability and bumping into his unfavorability numbers, so neither of them is likely to pick up many more votes.

Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, has polled as high as 13%, and Jill Stein is polling close to five percent, as high as Nader ever got. It appears that Johnson is getting a decent amount of attention from the news media, and the amount of attention has been increasing.

Trump, polling in the mid 30's, doesn't seem to have increased his popularity in months, and the same may be true of Clinton, polling in the low 40's. At the same time, there are more legal problems for both of them, or more allegations that they broke laws. If you pay attention to some people, then Clinton should have been arrested yesterday, and Trump is about to be indicted for criminal fraud, but I doubt that either of them will be arrested between now and the November election; although Trump may be named in another suit. The investigations into Clinton's activities appear to be justifications for paychecks for a number of people, so they wouldn't do anything that might bring an end to the investigations. And Trump's biggest legal problem appears to be Trump University; it is difficult to predict such things with confidence, but he may face some civil liability there, or maybe not.

Neither of those two has done of said anything new, different, or interesting for some time, so it seems that we will have to wait for the party conventions.

But unless something major happens, the next president will win a minority of the popular vote, and if Johnson wins one or more of the right states the election will go to the House of Representatives, and that could be interesting. Let's all hope for that.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...tein-5952.html

Comments

ms. bill clinton, T-rump, stein-lady, or the johnson... heaven help u.s.
    "... At the same time, there are more legal problems for both of them, or more allegations that they broke laws. If you pay attention to some people, then Clinton should have been arrested yesterday, and Trump is about to be indicted for criminal fraud, but I doubt that either of them will be arrested between now and the November election." That sounds so familiar to me. You´ve got to be careful!
    What about Bernie Sanders?
    Updated 06-26-2016 at 10:40 PM by Danik 2016
    I have never been all that interested in politics much preferring the military lifestyle of accountability-depending who you knew so maybe it wasn't that much different. The country seems so divided these days with so many causes there is simply no pleasing anyone. I'm at the age where it's easy not to care-I won't be around when social security goes broke and I feel NO guilt over collecting my share--it was worked for. Personally I find Hilary a cold fish but she's in a shark tank all her political life so I cut her some slack but I also believe she has never had to wonder where the next meal might be coming from next week. To me Trump is all about glory and ego and frankly I never have bene able to take him seriously so a bit alarmed he has gotten this far but the signs seem to be there that people are getting less and less entertained by him so maybe we'll dodge a bullet. Never took Sanders seriously at all and the media seems to go out of their way to portray him as a spoiled child wanting to paly stickball HIS way or nothing. Purely personal gut reactions no need to argue any of this from my point of view. But beginning to think the old story of The Lady or The Tiger could be a parable of our times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danik 2016
    "... At the same time, there are more legal problems for both of them, or more allegations that they broke laws. If you pay attention to some people, then Clinton should have been arrested yesterday, and Trump is about to be indicted for criminal fraud, but I doubt that either of them will be arrested between now and the November election." That sounds so familiar to me. You´ve got to be careful!
    What about Bernie Sanders?
    Sanders appears to have given up. I never thought much of him, but he wasn't as bad as Hillary, and he polled better against Trump than Hillary does. But he has a lot of solid support that might support him, if he decided on an independent run, even though it's too late to get on some ballots. I would favor him making the independent run just because it would stir the mess some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailor STATELY
    ms. bill clinton, T-rump, stein-lady, or the johnson... heaven help u.s.
    Yes, and that's why I should be nade Emperor by popular acclamation.