View RSS Feed

day in a life

Time for a Christmas break and some light reading for myself

Rate this Entry
Well I am on a break now, I only have one semester left to get my MA. Next semester I will only write my thesis, no classes, I find that a bit scary. I have started my thesis, written a first draft of one chapter so that is something.

Now I am on a break and I am reading The Girl on the train by Paula Hawkins and enjoying it, no descriptions of illness or tumours so I think I am safe from diagnosing myself with the disease I am reading about at that moment.

I am almost getting into a Christmas mood, I finished buying every present and now I just have to get the last one to the printers, I took together every article written in memory of my father, the speech from his funeral and a poem his friend wrote about him after he died and set it up in a book to be printed for my family. I hope they will be happy about it cause it took hours to make. In the past month, if I wasn't writing an essay or taking care of my son I was working on this. But now it is done and I just have to get it printed and wrapped.

My son will spend Christmas with his dad and stepmom this year and I will be with my mom and stepdad on Christmas eve. One of my two brothers will be there too with his family so that is nice, it's odd how important it feels to have kids around, even if it's not my own son. I am fine with this system to only have him every other year during the holiday, and he is so well balanced it's really amazing. His teacher has sent me notes and told me in person a bunch of times how amazed she is about our relationship, the parents that is. I am not on facebook but his stepmom is so she is in all the parents groups and all that stuff I am not in and we all get e-mails from the teacher with news. They are expecting a kid and my son is so excited to have a younger brother next year.

It's only 10 days 'till Christmas and I have nothing to do except read and drink my tea. It has been snowing like crazy here on the ice and frost so the northern lights are going crazy in the sky. It is beautiful. I am also very stable and good these days, maybe it has something to do with my therapist, she is wonderful and has helped me a whole lot with my anxieties and we are getting there when it comes to my OCD. It is difficult to change your behaviour after doing these things for almost 20 years, some days it's easier than others though.

Well I am just happy to be on a break now and I am gonna go read
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You sound happy Helga. I hope things are working out for you. They sound like they are. Good luck with your thesis. Have you decided what you're doing it on?
    yes, I am writing about honour and the female body in two Shakespeare plays and the poem the Rape of Lucrece. How sex, or rape, dishonours the father or husband more than the women. I decided to take very different plays so it's Much ado about nothing and Titus Andronicus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helga
    yes, I am writing about honour and the female body in two Shakespeare plays and the poem the Rape of Lucrece. How sex, or rape, dishonours the father or husband more than the women. I decided to take very different plays so it's Much ado about nothing and Titus Andronicus.
    Sounds like a great thesis. Good luck!