View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

Out With The New And In With Old

Rate this Entry
I am currently reading Wilderness Tips which is a short story collection by Margaret Atwood, and in one of the stories there was this quote:

"An interest in clothes of the present is frivolity, an interest in clothes of the past is archaeology"

I was struck by how ironically true these words are, and it is funny to think of that way.

I have little to no interest in fashion. I don't follow or care about what is trendy, hip, cool, modern, in season. I don't pay attention to brand names. I just wear whatever appeals to me without thinking about what anyone else might think of it.

And those that do care about following fashion trends and only want to wear designer clothes, and feel it is important to keep up with what is in style I perceive as being shallow, conformists, followers, uninteresting.

But I do romanticize and am enamored with vintage clothing and clothes that are reminiscent of historical fashions. I would be quite content to dress in something of a hodgepodge of fashion from the 1920s, the Victorian Ear, the Renaissance, and the Middle Ages. It is a bit of a joke of mine, that I never by Halloween costumes, I can make them from the clothes that are in my closet.

I do look down upon modern fashion with disinterest and disdain but I venerate the fashions of the past.

I am also reading Catching Fire right now which is the second book from "The Hunger Game" and in those books they really make fun of the frivolity of people who are obsessed with following all the modern fashion trends, and how outlandish, clueless, out of touch, and shallow minded they all are.
Categories
Quotations

Comments

Hello Dark Muse.

I also quite like that quote. It is nicely phrased and has some humour in it. I have yet to read any novels by Atwood, I read one or two of her stories though. I do have Oryx & Crake in my book case but have not read it yet. I want to, because I have heard highly positive things of her and quite enjoyed the story/stories I read.

To respond to what you say about The Hunger Games, it has been a while since I have read them so I have to ask: are you sure they "make fun" of frivolous people? What I feel like would be more fitting to say is that they ("they" being Katniss and her surroundings because of the mode of narration) look upon the frivolous people of the Capitol with amazement and disgust because of their habits and what they can afford. Because of the state of poverty district 12 and most other districts are in, I find it weird to imagine them proper making fun of the fact that the Capitol is swimming in money, food and clothing while they have to hunt to get enough food together. What is your perception on this, since you are reading them right now?

Have fun reading, by the way!

Evo
    I read this, chuckled and agreed with some things said.
    And then I continued reading The Iliad.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5
    Hello Dark Muse.

I also quite like that quote. It is nicely phrased and has some humour in it. I have yet to read any novels by Atwood, I read one or two of her stories though. I do have Oryx & Crake in my book case but have not read it yet. I want to, because I have heard highly positive things of her and quite enjoyed the story/stories I read.

To respond to what you say about The Hunger Games, it has been a while since I have read them so I have to ask: are you sure they "make fun" of frivolous people? What I feel like would be more fitting to say is that they ("they" being Katniss and her surroundings because of the mode of narration) look upon the frivolous people of the Capitol with amazement and disgust because of their habits and what they can afford. Because of the state of poverty district 12 and most other districts are in, I find it weird to imagine them proper making fun of the fact that the Capitol is swimming in money, food and clothing while they have to hunt to get enough food together. What is your perception on this, since you are reading them right now?

Have fun reading, by the way!

Evo
    I consider Atwood to be one of my favorite writers though it is true I do have a hate/love relationship with some of her books. Some of the things she writes I think are really, really good but at the same time some of her books fall a bit flat with me, or at least I fail to connect with. But she is worth reading I think. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake..

In regards to the Hunger Games yes, I think you are right about the characters. I do believe that Katniss does respond more with a mix of disdain, disgust, and complete awe. More aptly I should have said that the author (and perhaps her audience as well) is making fun and being satirical of that portion of society that is overly concerned with fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by North Star
    I read this, chuckled and agreed with some things said.
    And then I continued reading The Iliad.
    Enjoy the reading
    Well, the whole Hunger Games trilogy seems a bit of a mirror image of a lot of things that are going on in our culture right now, with the growing divide between the wealthy and the poor and the shrinking of the middle class, and the excesses of the 1%. I'm interested in looking decent and even well-dressed (by my standards) when I leave the house. That in no way means that I have a sense of style from this or any other age because sadly I do not. I look at the designers as artists, because that is really what they are. But people who are interested in only wearing clothes that have a designer label-not interesting. I do not want a Kate Spade bag-by the way, here's an interesting read:

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine...obscenely.html

Or a Coach bag-why do people even think they're attractive? Or Jimmy Choo shoes, etc., etc. But as with the open design of most houses today with their stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops, these are all markers of success. I have different markers, but on the whole people are heavily influenced by the culture around them. It's hard to escape the pull of it's gravity. I like the quote (and I loved Oryx and Crake). I think there's some truth to that, but mostly if that's ALL one is interested in or if people are insistent on using that as a judgement on others, then I definitely find that shallow. And in the case of the latter, I have just two words for you. But as to the archaeology aspect of it, here's a quote from ancient Rome: "Vestis virum reddit." Or "Clothes make the man," (Quintilianus). So it's also a perception that's been around a long, long time, just as has the clash between the classes.
    Updated 08-28-2015 at 10:40 AM by qimissung