View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Freedom of Speech

Rate this Entry
All countries that even pretend to have democratic institutions have freedom of expression, freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and that includes the right to be able to use billboards, radio and television, the internet, etc. and to contract with publishers to carry advertisements for one’s preferred issues, candidates, or whatever in newspapers, magazines, electronic media, etc. This is quite straightforward, but there are people who seem to think that such freedom of expression is not right and should be restricted.

Today, I walked through an organic farming convention to see what was there; there wasn’t much that interested me, because I don’t have a farm. As I was walking away from where the booths were set up here was a woman who asked if I lived locally, in this state. I answered in the positive, and she began an oral presentation of a petition to make corporations not be people in Massachusetts (a clear sign of ignorance of the issues) and to restrict the right of people to buy political advertising.

I pointed out that those are two very different issues and that restriction of freedom of political expression is evil, and I started walking away. She clearly didn’t understand the issues and continued to make noises about corporations not being people. I walked away.

The thing about corporations is another example of the popular press having popularized something to the point that it ceased to make sense, or maybe the reporters didn't understand it from the beginning. Corporations are artificial entities that are persons before the law. That has been the case since the U.S. Supreme Court decided that Congress had intended that the Fourteenth Amendment apply to corporations on the word of one justice who had been on the committee that drafted the Amendment. He lied; that had never been mentioned in committee or on the floor of either house of Congress. But we are still saddled with corporations that hide owners and officers from certain kinds of legal actions. But that has nothing to do with free speech, and it is my opinion that business corporations should be eliminated. The avoidance of liability that corporations afford enables some people to do truly reprehensible things that they probably would not do, if they were personally responsible.

This issue was connected to the matter of free speech because of the Citizens United case in which the Supreme Court held that the right of corporations to purchase advertising time from broadcasters and advertising space from newspapers is protected free speech. Some people seem to not like corporations having such rights, even if they are instruments for individuals expressing their opinions.

I regard it is inconsequential that a corporation was involved in the Citizens United case. The real issue is whether political freedom of expression should be restricted. My opinion is that there should be absolutely no restrictions on political speech. Right now the U.S.A. agrees with me, but there are many people who think that some people should not have the right to express their opinions, and those people are out there at conventions on organic farmers and other places trying to get support for their restrictions of liberty.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files...on-commission/

Comments