View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

My Vacation Reading

Rate this Entry
I will be heading off on vacation soon leaving the first week in August to go to Lake Tahoe. I belong to several different book groups on Goodreads, and so usually I am always reading this or that book for one of my groups, which I enjoy because it provides a good opportunity both to get motivated to read some books I have had sitting around on my shelf but always put off reading for another time, or daunting books that I want to read but because of their length I always postpone, as well as a way to be introduced to books I previously never heard of before.

But in August I take a hiatus from Goodreads, and put together a selection of books which I want to take with me to read while I am on vacation. Of course I usually always end up taking way more books than I actually need but better to have too many books than not enough, if there is such a thing as too many books. No one has been able to convince me of that yet.

So my vacation reading this year:

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat - When I was a kid I saw the movie they made from this book and I loved it. A book about survival in nature seems like an appropriate book to read while I will be up in the mountains.

Jaws by Peter Benchley - I admit that Jaws is one of my all time favorite movies and I figure this book would be a good summer read. And while I won't be at the ocean but at a lake instead, still seems a good book to read while sitting on the beach.

Pan by Knut Hamsun - I have heard good things about Hamsun, and when I first saw this book I was intrigued by the title and it seems like a fitting book to read while I reconnect with nature.

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk - I am a fan of Palahniuk and I find his books to be easy fast reads for me, because they are so compelling. I love his dark humor.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games I had to read in this course I took on Children's Literature when I was still in school. I enjoyed the book well enough, I do like Dystopia fiction but I didn't feel that compelled to read the other books, but I got into watching the movies, and I thought the movie was really quite good and made me want want to continue to read the books.

Wilderness Tips by Margret Atwood - I don't have much of an explanation for this one, but I am an Atwood fan and the title at least fits in with the nature like theme that I unintentionally ended up with.
Categories
Books

Comments

I'm on Goodreads too but I can never get the hang of the place. I don't know why, but I have so much trouble navigating around. I'm on one group but I've probably let them down. I haven't been back in a couple of months. I haven't read any of those. Interesting list, though. My summer read is Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment.
    Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books. I love Dostoevsky. I hope you enjoy your reading.
    Welcome back, DM. Hope your vacation was holidiferous.
    Thank you, yes it was quite enjoyable and relaxing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse
    Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books. I love Dostoevsky. I hope you enjoy your reading.
    I am. It's one of the greatest novels I've ever read.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it.