View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Why Cloud Computing

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
In the last few years cloud computing has again gotten a push from networking and server owning companies. This is the third push into cloud computing that I have noticed, but I might have missed one.

The first big push for cloud computing was in the early 1990’s, and it was led by Oracle and Larry Ellison. A number of cloud programs became available, including Star Office, a cloud office suite, that has since morphed into Open Office and Libre Office. That initial try was roundly ignored and or denounced due to security concerns. While they (th initial creators of Star Office and later Oracle after they bought Star Office) tried to get people to use Star Office online as is done with googledocs, few people were willing to use it that way, and most downloaded it.

About ten years after that initial attempt another attempt to sell people on the security of the cloud was made, but that didn’t go anywhere. Some more programs were introduced, and some businesses were induced to rent server space, but there were great problems with viruses and Trojans during that period, so it was safer to keep files and programs on protected servers.

Today I saw something on yahoo.com that was said to be an explanation of cloud computing by Katy Couric; it wasn’t an explanation. Katy may be a nice person, but there was no explanation. If yahoo is presenting something like that, then there must be a big push to sell the cloud, or something like that. Antivirus software is better than it was a decade ago, but there have been some really massive breaches of data security, and that’s what I would worry about.

There is no fundamental difference between someone using the cloud and using his own remote server. Neither is at the location where the software, etc. are used, and the files are accessed by high speed internet access, but it is more difficult to secure access to something that uses cables, etc. that are also used to transmit the public internet. It is possible, and sometimes done, to have truly private access to remote servers, but that costs a lot. It might be possible to create a truly secure internet connection, but that doesn't seem to exist in this world. I believe that the U.S. government has dedicated cables in some places, but hackers have gotten into federal computers, and whistleblowers have transferred more data.

In any case, the cloud can't be made truly secure, but that makes little difference for some people. I store extra copies of files online, and I've never seen any sign of theft, but my files aren't useful to anyone else. Businesses have to be a little more careful, so I don't expect to see a large move into the cloud, but remote file storage has been common for years, and it is safe (mostly) and cheap. It also frees up local serve space for applications, so there is less reason to use the cloud for actual computing, and remote computing takes time even with fast connections.

There is also the matter of people and companies wanting to know where their files are. Cloud storage companies can move things as necessary for their own purposes, and that can make access by the owners of the data slower, but if they just store monthly backups in the cloud, then they don't care, because they probably have the daily and/or weekly backups closer at hand.

It is my feeling (and that's all that it is) that this push to get people to use the cloud will be only slightly more successful than the previous attempts. Sure there are advantages to using the cloud, but it can be dangerous with files that are in present use, while backups are safer. So what do you think? Do you use the cloud? And how do you use the cloud?

http://www.computerweekly.com/featur...loud-computing

Comments

Thanks for writing this. It helped me a lot. I've been trying to figure out where to put my finished writing projects. I'm saving my money to get an attached hard drive, since I've lost faith in USBs. Any opinions:
    CD's and DVD's are fairly reliable. some of them are bad right out of the box, but if they are O.K. then they will last for a long time. For long term storage these are the best choices. Flash drives are great for things that are in regular use, but they have to be backed up regularly.

For finished written works cloud storage isn't a bad idea, because there isn't much that anyone would want to steal no credit card numbers, etc.
    Thanks for getting back to me, PeterL. Believe it or don't but my computer is 37 years old and has no way to engage CD or DVDs. But if I ever get a new computer I'll take you up your advice. Many years in Mexico (different locations) resulted in having 4 excellent computers ripped off. Now I have one which is so limited, no one wants to steal it.
    Thirty-seven years old!!!!! That means it is from 1978. There weren't many things that were like personal computers then. The first Personal Computer was still a few years in the future. What make is it? TI? Radio Shack? What processor does it run on?
    Sorry about that. It was made in 1978. It's an Intel Atom with Dell printed on the outside. Rather small screen. Other than using it to get online, I only use the word software for my writing efforts. Although someone here uses it to store and print photos. In the past I've had a number of MACs. I really miss MACs. But I get my work done, and since it looks like a toy computer maybe no one will steal it. When I leave the Rancho it's easy to hide. My only real complaint is that the Display is in Spanish instead of English. I've spent some money for promises to fix that to no avail. So I gave up. Having the OS in Spanish really slows me down. Oh well...
    You'd have to replace the OS to change the language. The OS probably is CP/M and that's 35 years old. If it has internal storage (a hard drive), then you might be able to use some version of DOS, but it would be easier not to change anything. It really should be in a museum.
    Yeah, you're right about a museum. I can't do downloads, Can't do updates on software. Can't do much of anything. I'm surprised I can get online. Here in Mexico I tried to buy a new computer on payments at Coppell and they said I was too old to do so. I'd be dead before I made all the payments. Jeez. But maybe some day... In the meantime I'll just keep tapping away on this keyboard. Just finished a new Short Story: The Love of Children. I like it. Take care.
    You should look at used computers. i haven't looked recently, but there were many available for a few hundred dollars, $200 to 400.
    Yn the town where I live nearby finding a used computer is hard. Once, when I had 300 bucks in my pocket we went to many pawn shops to see if they had computers for sale. We found 2. On one the screen was damaged and it had a lot of blind spots. The other had dents in the body. I almost bought this one, but chickened out. I live in the Boondocks of Mexico and the nearest big town is a long, long drive away. But I'm saving my coins and will solve this problem soon. Thanks for all the advice you gave me!
    I was thinking of ebay and Amazon for used computers. They sell even to the boondocks in Mexico, but delivery might be costly.