View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Funny News

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
6/16/2015
For a change there are some things in the news that are truly funny. That woman who has been masquerading as a Black person is funny. I probably shouldn't laugh much about this, and I haven’t, because the idea of there being several races of humans was only dreamed up a few centuries ago, and there is no scientific justification for such definitions (I’ll bet the unscientific readers will complain about that comment).

The actual facts are that there no races of humans, and the groups that previously were defined as races of humans have as much genetic distance within the group as there is between such groups. "We now know that the way we talk about race has no scientific validity. There is no genetic basis that corresponds with any particular group of people, no essentialist DNA for black people or white people or anyone. This is not a hippy ideal, it’s a fact." 1

Apparently, I'm not the only one who believes this, and there probably are others. Some months ago I looked into whether there were races of humans, races as defined in Merriam Webster's Medical Definition of RACE
1 a: An actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also: a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group." 2 Scientific dictionaries are starting to drop the word, because of the negative connotations and the availability of other words that mean the same thing; "subspecies" is usually defined as the same as race. In non-human animals race may be more important, and the different races of a species are sometimes misidentified as separate species; this is very clear with Northern Brown Bears. All of the Northern Brown Bears are of a single species; they readily reproduce with members of the other parts of their species. They include Eurasian Brown Bears, American Brown Bears, Alaska Brown Bears, Grizzly Bears, Kodiak Bears, and Polar Bears.

Fine, the idea of races of humans is a dead concept. Now, why did that woman masquerade as a Black person? It is far beyond me; although I can imagine her trying to build a political base and spread power from there. I think that we will be hearing about this for some time.

That story already came out, but there was more about it today. Then After lunch I opened a browser and was going to check my yahoo email, when there was an announcement that Donald Trump was going to amuse the country again by running for president. I won't hold it against him; this is the first such announcement that got a laugh from me. I hope that he's bright enough to understand why I would laugh at his announcement; although if he did understand that he probably would not have put himself forth as a candidate.

http://time.com/91081/what-science-s...-and-genetics/

1 http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...genomes-darwin
2 http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/race

If you are interested in races of humans, then you might read my blog in which I tried to determine whether there were remnants of other subspecies in blood types and or Rh factor. I did not make a firm conclusion, but it's more likely that there was interbreeding with related species a long time ago, and I can't determine how long that might have been, but it was more than a half million years, and probably more than 2 billion years..
link:http://www.online-literature.com/for...aces-Of-Humans

Updated 06-17-2015 at 02:27 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My first thought, when I saw the News was, hey, if we can accept Bruce Jenner transforming his appearance from male to female then what's the problem with Rachael Dolezay, transforming her appearance from white to black…they both identify with something other than the way they were raised…so what…who cares. I thought color is not suppose to matter. If it makes one happier then whose business is it but their own? She lied? Not to herself. She's being who she identifies with. "To thine OWN self be true"…that's all that matters as long as you're not hurting anyone. She was actually helping others as President of the NAACP. There are much bigger fish to fry.
    As for Trump…did you notice his "future 1st family" that flanked him? Every other one was a supermodel. Then his Presidential announcement was a hate speech cutting down China for taking US jobs away, bashing Obama as "stupid" and then this gem, "When Mexico sends its people, they are not sending their best. They are not sending you. They are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs and they are bringing crime, and they’re rapists.” Oh dear. Talk about slander. Is he even allowed to say that?
    I would like to take this opportunity to disclose to the forum that I am not black.

So far as Rachel Dolezal goes; the former NAACP chapter president is a liar and the notion that someone whose masquerading as a black person and who "identifies" with being black, can in fact *know* what being black is like... is preposterous.
    Social "scientists" are the most vocal critics of things like race and gender, many real scientists (not to say all) definitely believe that either or both are real.
    Well Iain she was visibly black looking enough to pose as a black woman for decades so I think she got the full experience. She may not know what being *poor* is like, but it seems like she probably knows what being black is like.
    Thanks again for a great blog entry, Peter. I find the Rachel Dolezal story almost too funny to believe. Almost. I mean, how else is a "white" person going to have a voice in the color-"racist" world of left-wing activism if it isn't by pretending not to be white? Busted! Even funnier are the hypocritical admonitions of NAACP members seeking to stand by this liar, to the effect that only racists believe in race. Hey, that's great news! God knows "race" is a meaningless category to me, and I'm delighted to hear that the NAACP has finally seen the light. So now, about Affirmative Action...
    Updated 06-18-2015 at 09:33 AM by Pompey Bum
    As for the Papapam's question, "Is [Donald Trump] even allowed to say that?," yes, the First Amendment of the United States Constitution gives even clowns like Trump the right to express their opinions. It's a great country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    My first thought, when I saw the News was, hey, if we can accept Bruce Jenner transforming his appearance from male to female then what's the problem with Rachael Dolezay, transforming her appearance from white to black…they both identify with something other than the way they were raised…so what…who cares. I thought color is not suppose to matter. If it makes one happier then whose business is it but their own? She lied? Not to herself. She's being who she identifies with. "To thine OWN self be true"…that's all that matters as long as you're not hurting anyone. She was actually helping others as President of the NAACP. There are much bigger fish to fry.
    I think that slapping together sexual preference and racial preference was too long a jump.

Sex is a mater of genes: females have XX sex chromosomes and males have XY; there are rare individuals with a sex chromosome that is not in good for, and those people are something else. People like Jenner have a personality disorder that has been known for decades, but these days the medical people cater to such people.

There have been leaders of the racial equality movement who were of the pale variety. but they didn't claim to be Black. This women seem s to have a personality disorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    As for Trump…did you notice his "future 1st family" that flanked him? Every other one was a supermodel. Then his Presidential announcement was a hate speech cutting down China for taking US jobs away, bashing Obama as "stupid" and then this gem, "When Mexico sends its people, they are not sending their best. They are not sending you. They are sending people that have lots of problems, and they are bringing those problems to us. They are bringing drugs and they are bringing crime, and they’re rapists.” Oh dear. Talk about slander. Is he even allowed to say that?
    Trump isn't very bright, so such comments about Mexicans do not surprise me. I don't think he follws the news regularly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clopin
    Social "scientists" are the most vocal critics of things like race and gender, many real scientists (not to say all) definitely believe that either or both are real.
    Real scientists know that there is one race of humans: the human race. Unfortunately, (as my anthropology professor used to put it) there are two kinds of people: Lumpers and Splitters. Splitters would insist that East Asians and sub-Saharan Africans must be of different species.

Many of us do not accept the abuse of the word "gender" that was done in the late 1970's. Gender is a grammatical class of which there are three in English: Masculine, Feminine, and neuter. Language abuse should be a Capital offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey Bum
    Thanks again for a great blog entry, Peter. I find the Rachel Dolezal almost too funny to believe. Almost. I mean, how else is a "white" person going to have a voice in the color-"racist" world of left-wing activism if it isn't by pretending not to be white? Busted! Even funnier are the hypocritical admonitions of NAACP members seeking to stand by this liar, to the effect that only racists believe in race. Hey, that's great news! God knows "race" is a meaningless category to me, and I'm delighted to hear that the NAACP has finally seen the light. So now, about Affirmative Action...
    So you think she may be cleverer than we have been led to believe from the news. I'd see building a political base as an explanation, but people did that without claiming to have brown skin and kinky hair.

The whole concept of race is perfectly absurd.
    I agree with you, but then there was the case of Valiant Thor, the Venusian. The U.S. government took him rather seriously for a while.

http://beforeitsnews.com/beyond-scie...n-2441566.html
    I don't think she has been clever at all. If there is no race, then racially mandated hiring practices like Affirmative Action are groundless. If there is no racial difference between white Rachel Dolezal and black Rachel Dolezal, then there is no racial difference between white Pompey Bum and black Pompey Bum, we may as well be hired on our qualifications. Or if we can self-identify our so-called race, and we are to continue with Affirmative Action, then I'll take the race that gets me the job, please. None of that is what Rachel Dolezal and the NAACP wanted when this blew up in their faces. It is pretty funny, though. It's always funny when liars get busted.
    Updated 06-18-2015 at 09:36 AM by Pompey Bum
    Race is real, and nobody anywhere suggests that Asians and Africans are different species'.
    I agree. But no, I don't think she has been clever at all. If there is no race, then the racially mandated hiring practices like affirmative action are groundless. If there is no racial difference between white Rachel Dolezal and black Rachel Dolezal, then there is no difference between white Pompey Bum and black Pompey Bum, we may as well be hired on our qualifications. Or if we can self-identify our so-called race, and we are to continue Affirmative Action, then I'll take the race that gets me the job, please. None of that is what Rachel Dolezal and the NAACP wanted when this blew up in their faces. It is pretty funny, though. It's always funny when liars get busted.
    People have bcalling it according to their desires for a long time, but most of them didn't have pale skinned parents who eventually found it annoying that that she was rejecting them.

It's a question of whether she was chasing a paycheck or a delusional personal identity. There were plenty of of white civil rights leaders, and msny of them were highly regarded, but they didn't think that were black.
    I'm not sure money or a delusion are the only possible motives. She wanted to be part of our cool times when it's culturally embarrassing to be white and cool to be a "person of color." And she was willing to lie on paper to get that. This is about not caring about the truth, not about being confused over it.

It's a good thing "Big Chief Warren" (who told Harvard she was "Native American" on her application) decided not to run for president this time. This would be all over her face, too.
    Updated 06-18-2015 at 09:39 AM by Pompey Bum
    Well Iain she was visibly black looking enough to pose as a black woman for decades so I think she got the full experience. She may not know what being *poor* is like, but it seems like she probably knows what being black is like.
    In my opinion, the only way a person can have the full experience of being black, is by being black. Certainly playing 'Black like Me' for decades means she has a much greater understanding of what it means to be black, but there it ends. I've seen the photographs taken of her from many years ago, and she is white with blonde hair... now she's a light-skinned black with frizzy hair? That seems bizarre to me, and I really wonder how the whole thing went undiscovered until now?
    I'm not sure money or a delusion are the only possible motives. She wanted to be part of our cool times when it's culturally embarrassing to be white and cool to be a "person of color," especially if you want to be a left-wing political activist. She was willing to lie on paper to get that. That's about not caring about the truth, not about being deluded.

It's a good thing "Big Chief Warren" (who told Harvard she was "Native American" on her application) decided not to run for president this time. This would be all over her face, too, if she had decided to go for it.
    That's an interesting comparison. I am acquainted with quite a few people with skin of various shades who at different times have been American Indian, French Canadian, Canadian, or just Americans. They aren't faking anything. And one such person looks completely English and never learned of his Indian ancestry until he was in his thirties.

In the Northeast U.S. the Indians were completely absorbed, except for a few small bands who stayed on tribal lands.

I have met a few people people who wanted to be part of Black Culture; although their ancestors prevented. Personally, I want to go to an all woman college, but I couldn't pass the physical.
    Just tell them you're saving up for the operation. That should get the doors swinging open for you. :)

Unfortunately, the social indoctrination of our times prescribes a diversity of (supposed) biological identities and not a diversity of ideas and feelings. It's actually pretty ridiculous when you think about it. My (slight) genetic participation with the Sioux or Kiowa people (it depends on who you ask) affects who I am as a person in no way. No one has a richer experience of knowing me because of it and I do not belong to any special victims' group to whom the rest of you oppressors (um, you know, genetically speaking) have to kowtow or grant privileges. I can't think of anything stupider or more racist or disingenuous than to pretend that could opt into a convenient or cool identity because of it. But once a person starts lying to himself and others it can be hard to stop. And that, it's pretty clear to me, is what happened in the case of this habitual liar. It is funny, but there is an unfunny side to it, too, when one considers the utterly stupid aspects of our society that led to the situation. Lies breed lies. There's not a lot more to it than that.
    ………..
    Updated 06-17-2015 at 09:57 PM by Melanie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast