View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Free Speech and Its Utility

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
The idea of free speech has been around for quite a while. It was essential to Ancient Greek democracy, and in ancient times the suppression of free speech was often a clear sign that government was acting badly. The actual origins of the idea of free speech aren't important, and the origins predate history, so there is a limit on what we can say about it. But the re-emergence of free speech during and after the Reformation and during the Age of Reason is very important to the concept of free speech that most of the world uses these days. The meat of the matter is that free speech in regard to political decision making is necessary for a republic to operate.

Yes, free speech is necessary, and without it there can be no republic here in the United States of America or in any other country. Even when people express ideas that are distasteful we have to protect their right to express themselves. If we restrict the expression of individuals, then the government will follow suit and restrict the rights of the people to express themselves. And it isn't restricted to the words of our mouths. Free speech also includes the words that we hire others to say for us, the expressions of political parties, political action committees, and other organizations. When we start restricting the political expressions of political groups, then the right of free speech is restricted for all people.

I would like to include religious organizations among those who have the unrestricted right of free speech, but for other reasons they have sold that right for some other rights, and the same is true for all tax exempt organizations in the U.S.A. If they want tax exemption, then they pay with certain restrictions on political speech.

Business corporations are fully taxable, so the Courts were correct when they found that corporations have the right to make political expressions by contributing to parties, candidates, and other organizations.

While there are people who would like to change the right of freedom of expression, either by widening it or by restricting it for all persons, I think that the people who want to take the right of freedom of expression away from corporations are on the wrong side. Today I saw a piece about Bernie Sanders that indicated that he wants corporations to have no right to make political expressions. That tells me a great deal about Mr. Sanders, including that I won't consider voting for him, but I am exercising my right for freedom of expression.

I believe that some of the other people who are planning to run for president also wish to restrict free speech in some way, but I don't know if any have made such a comment, yet.

I encourage responses, and I don't care whether you agree with me, but please keep any comments relevant and polite.

Updated 05-11-2015 at 10:10 AM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Eh Peter, what do you think of Ben Carson?
    I have seen his name, but I don't know anything about him. Does he agree with Bernie Sanders on limiting political free speech? I looked a little, but I couldn't find anything useful. Apparently he has learned how to obsfucate.
    he's not been a lifelong politician peter, so its going to take quite a while for a lot of his views to come out, as we all some coalesce in his own mind so to speak. he's just announced his candidacy for president of the usa, so I suspect he has a website where you can learn more about him.
    I found his website; it was useless.
    Aha too bad, I was hoping you could tell me something about him. He was the world's top neurosurgeon and is running for GOP.