View RSS Feed

Logos' blog

Top10 Fora PetPeeves

Rate this Entry
Ok, well, maybe I don't have *ten* yet, but I'll add to this as they occur to me though what prompted this is my #1 peeve..
1. People who don't read the forum rules
/cheezy flashing neon sign buzzing and intermittently flickering..

Ok, there are a lot of (young and old) people here who haven't used a discussion board before, sometimes it's obvious, sometimes not-so.. so.. they usually get the benefit of the doubt because I was a n00b once too and I'm nice like that (usually)

But please remember to read the rules, yes there are rules here, just like most other public access sites on the `net
haha! ok Neo_Sephiroth, you've prompted another biggie...

2. People who don't have a sense of humour.

Keep in mind, there are thousands of members here, pretty much from every continent and country on the planet, who represent dozens of native languages, religions and cultures. Sure sometimes things get lost in translation, but smilies are the international language of expression. If you don't 'get' something, just ask
3. People who expect to get help with their essay/writing assignment

I posted this somewhere else but thought I would use most of it here too:

The regulars/long-timers here are much more likely to respond to your requests for help/feedback/opinions if you join in on other discussions of the forum, where they can get to know you a bit better before taking the time to read your work and offering thoughtful/serious feedback/critique etc.

You've got to understand, sometimes there are a dozen posts a day here by people who only post once asking for help/feedback. This isn't a 'help' site, and often when one does give help/advice/feedback/opinion, the OP doesn't return with even a thanks or reply.

So....if you do ask for help or want feedback, be patient about it. Another way to put it is....you get back from the site as good as what you put into it

4. People who flood the forums.

ok, maybe part of peeve #1, but specifically about flooding, people who post their topic (usually pleas for help on homework) multiple times in multiple forums. They don't realise that all but one will be removed to the Mod cave
.5. People who use the site as their own personal little pulpit/soapbox/advertising space/self-promotion venue etc.

lots of blank space for when I need to fill later
yes I removed some
Categories

Comments

Whoa...Those are lots of blank spaces for only ten pet peeves...

Anyway...What's a discussion board...?

Just kidding!

Please don't kill me for that...
    Discussion board !!??!! But my mind is already made up.
    Please invoke pet peeve #2 and have mercy.
    short list of things to add....
    Moderators that pick on me! j/k
    People that type in all caps.
    Vague questions asking for help.
    People that take threads as personal crusade.
    Mocking replies to responses repeatedly
    People with a filled out profile that never posted.
    how about adding people who dont listen to the advice given to them by other members. esspecially if its the only advice they get? Or people who completely misinterpret posts to make them sound completely unrelated to what you've posted.... only a suggestion....
    Btw i do like you list!
    Good list, Logos, No.7 seems to be one that a lot of Forums have trouble with...
    I'm guilty of number seven, aren't I? Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    guilty of numro 1 i have never read the rules to this place...i shall go do that right after i read the student code of contuct book they give you...

I Need More Cowbell!