View RSS Feed

farnoosh

Applying

Rate this Entry

So graduation isn't exactly what I hoped it would be. I am so frustrated with everything

I don't even know why I'm creating this blog. I have a meeting with one of my professors who is actually my best professor in the sense of knowledge and wisdom and of course the worst in ethics. I'm supposed to meet him in about 2 hours and I don't even know why? Why did I even ask him for an appointment?

Everyone in my family is pressuring me to apply to grad schools. Not that I'm not interested. I just can't seem to find a school that would suit me. or rather suit/accept me. My dad is saying don't worry about the money blah blah blah. But paying 100$ as an application fee for a university that you have no idea whether or not they'll accept you is too much! I can't put that burden on them. It's not just the fee that is a lot, it's posting the transcripts plus applying for the visa and of course the money we'll be spending getting my bachelor degree out of the ministries hand. which is alot!!

Western Ontario university seems like a good fit. It has good facilities, great professors, and it has internal fundings- which means I wouldn't have to rely on my parents while I study overseas. But the thing is alot of other students apply. I tried contacting the professors but it's seems they get a lot of emails during this time and they won't open the emails unless you have someone from the inside which I don't.

On the other hand, Germany is a great place for chemical engineering students but it has no fundings and living in the most industrialized country in world is hardly cheap. I have a primary admission from Hamburg University of Technology, but it doesn't have any funding. So I have to pay for the first semester and then for my 2nd semester get work along with my studies plus get a teaching assistant ship (which is offered to grad students) so that I can manage my finances there. As those of you who have applied for overseas studies, you would know that you cant get a visa for another country unless you have a bank statement saying that you are able to finance your entire 2 years of masters on your own without any help from the government. It just keeps getting better doesn't it?

Eindhoven University of Technology is offering scholarships for chemical engineering grads. The scholarship is from a company in my field ( I think) stating that they will provide living expenses plus tuition fees for 2 years of masters, after that you have to work for 3 years for the company ( of course you get paid for it). This really interested me so of course I am applying for it. But.... (there's always a but) the documents for admission that they have stated they need is really.. unreasonable. they're saying I should list the entire subcategories of all the courses - major and minor- I have taken in my 4 years of bachelor!!! I went to my department asking if they have such a document to provide and they were looking at me like I'm crazy. It's literally like writing 200 pages! Do they even know what they are asking for?! Anyway the deadline for applying is February 1st. I wish I could've gone though.

Back to my other problem, facing my intimidating professor. Since all universities require references I asked him in an email if he would write me a strong recommendation letter. So he answered with an appointment to meet him today around 10. I have taken 2 courses with this man and both were fabulous for me, although he's really strict, his knowledge is unfoundable! (is that even a word?)
The first course I had with him I didn't get a really good grade but out of 20 students who were actually brave enough to take this heavy-loaded course with him, only 4 of us passed his class. The bad grade was due to him taking a freakin' Olympia instead of a final exam! for those who don't know: Olympia is like an Olympic in science. The other course I have with him, I'm at the top of the class for now- the final is in 4 days.
I don't know if he will give me the recommendation that I want, but I hope he does. Western Ontario is my first choice, and I don't want to get rejected....

Anyway, sorry for babbling. Just a lot of pressure with graduating.

Updated 01-14-2015 at 01:48 AM by farnoosh

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Not at all! that's really impressive. . . I hope you do get plenty of time to de-pressurize :-)

Unfoundable isn't a word, but unfoundedly actually is. . and unfounded. But I understood your meaning of course and. . new words can always be created, if enough people use them.

Hang in there! and best of luck on your finals, although I know you don't need it
    Good luck, Farnoosh! It does sound really discouraging-and I have to question why they make it so difficult. Is it because they fear that too many people would apply? It's school, after all, a place you go, supposedly to learn things. It shouldn't be a herculean task!

I agree with Nikolai-I hope you get some time to relax. It is really needed after all your exertions to graduate.

And-jcongratulations!
    I haven't been on Lit Net in a long while, so just seeing this now. You may have decided by now. I don't know engineering schools outside the United States, so i can't can't offer advice. May I ask why you're so fixed on grad school rather than work? Some places of work will pay for a graduate degree if you meet their requirements. Also I personally have not found new job applicants with grad degrees to be any better than those with just bachelors. The grad degree seems to build the mathematical skills more, but real life experience trumps that. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    I haven't been on Lit Net in a long while, so just seeing this now. You may have decided by now. I don't know engineering schools outside the United States, so i can't can't offer advice. May I ask why you're so fixed on grad school rather than work? Some places of work will pay for a graduate degree if you meet their requirements. Also I personally have not found new job applicants with grad degrees to be any better than those with just bachelors. The grad degree seems to build the mathematical skills more, but real life experience trumps that. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Hey Virgil. Well yeah that's the thing, in order for me to get into work or be accepted is to have a degree outside my country especially in the oil and petroleum industry (where I take an interest in) companies aren't very keen on the idea of hiring a foreigner particularly from the middle east to be their process engineer. So I need an advanced degree from another renowned institution outside the middle east in order for me to continue my research outside of my country.
    If you have an idea for me, I'm all ears
    Quote Originally Posted by farnoosh
    Hey Virgil. Well yeah that's the thing, in order for me to get into work or be accepted is to have a degree outside my country especially in the oil and petroleum industry (where I take an interest in) companies aren't very keen on the idea of hiring a foreigner particularly from the middle east to be their process engineer. So I need an advanced degree from another renowned institution outside the middle east in order for me to continue my research outside of my country.
    If you have an idea for me, I'm all ears
    Oh I see. Yeah, that makes sense, especially if you want to get away from your country. There are lots of universities with good engineering departments in the United States. I don't know the complexities of applying from outside the US. My advice would be to ask other students and engineers how they did it. Do you know any engineers from your country who are working for such institutions? Ask how they did it. Follow their path is all I can think of. Or you could write to the companies and institutions you are interested in and ask them what paths make sense for someone like you. I wish i could help you more but I just don't know. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Oh I see. Yeah, that makes sense, especially if you want to get away from your country. There are lots of universities with good engineering departments in the United States. I don't know the complexities of applying from outside the US. My advice would be to ask other students and engineers how they did it. Do you know any engineers from your country who are working for such institutions? Ask how they did it. Follow their path is all I can think of. Or you could write to the companies and institutions you are interested in and ask them what paths make sense for someone like you. I wish i could help you more but I just don't know. Good luck.
    Well since I need to fund my masters program on my own in the US- due to limited funded masters program opportunities- it's a bit of a risk sending applications for US departments although they do have really high profile research projects. I thought I'd apply for Europe and Canada instead and if I do change my mind by the time I finish masters I'll apply for Ph.D in the US. I've applied for 4 programs so far, but I really want to get in Western University in London, Ontario. Keeping fingers crossed.
    All the people that I know are in the business did the exact same thing as I'm doing: first a masters degree from an outside uni then apply for work.
    Thanks for your help though Virgil