View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

My New Baby

Rate this Entry
You can breathe easy and know that I have not completely lost my mind and reproduced a human child (Shudder) but I do now have this little darling:

(I do not know how to post phots dircetly into the blog but you can clink on the links to view, brace yourself for ultimate cuteness)

DSC05494.jpg

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05496.jpg

So now as you may know my new baby is of the fury, for legged non-human variety.

I have named this little guy Freya after the Norse goddess of love and fertility. I think that a fertility goddess makes quite a fitting namesake for a rabbit and rabbits are often themselves seen as fertility symbols.

As it so happens my neighborhood is overrun with feral domestic rabbits. I have no idea where the first pair first came from, but now there is a colony of rabbits which can be seen up and down the street. Frequently in the mornings and the evenings, when it is cooler out there will be a few here and there on the front lawn. I often make jokes about wanting to catch one, and there are a few that would let me get quite close, but realistically catching a rabbit is a near impossible task, at least to try and do so by hand.

I could set a trap but that would take all the fun out of the whole game, and I like to try and hone my animal stocking skills.

Then the other day I noticed my cat on the front lawn and he was in predatory mode, I could tell something had his attention, and I happened to see this little ball of fluff sitting in the middle of the lawn, and I thought to myself “Is that a baby rabbit?” At first I was worried that my cat might try and pounce on it. He doesn’t usually bother the rabbits, but just likes to hang out with them, and follow them around. I think he sees them he is baffled by these “strange looking cats” which is how I like to think cats think of rabbits.

But since this one was so much smaller than the others, I thought he might think of this one was being prey. But as I watched it was quite funny because it was almost like the cat was guarding the bunny. He would follow it and than just lie down on the grass next to it and watch it.

Needless to say I could not resist the temptation and low and behold I actually managed to catch the little guy.

This morning when I went out to check on him and feet him my cat was paying a visit to his former little playmate.
Categories
Random Musings

Comments

Congratulations! I have a litle roborovsky hamster that now lives with my dad.. cutest thing ever... I guess bunnies are too

There is a litter of semi-wild kittens here... I guess they're almost 2 months old by now so they're getting big... A while ago I captured one with a box and string and took him inside for a few hours to work on taming him... Last night I actully had a dream I caught him again.
    Haha thank you. I am very excited about my new baby. Today I made a pet store run to get some fun new stuff for the little guy.

I uesed to have little Siberian Hamsters, they were adorable but some them could be quite tempormental.
    Poor little bastard! Taken from a life of freedom to be locked up in a box! Enjoy the little guy. I had a pet rabbit, until my beagle killed it.
    Hah yes, though these rabbits come from a domestic breed so they are not true wild rabbits, so it is just like taking in a stray dog, or stray cat and keeping it as a pet. And a suburban neighborhood isn't the best enrolment for a population of rabbits to live in.
    So what you are saying is that this domestic breed gone wild lacks instincts. Since your baby rabbit had no instincts, you could easily grab it. Is this what civilization means by peace on earth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Muse
    Haha thank you. I am very excited about my new baby. Today I made a pet store run to get some fun new stuff for the little guy.

I uesed to have little Siberian Hamsters, they were adorable but some them could be quite tempormental.

Ah, yes, Robos are not friendly toward other species. I put in a mouse with him - name of Bunny, by the way :-) but he wasn't okay with it

And, though I'm calling Bunny a he, I never actually found out whether she or he was a boy or girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee
    So what you are saying is that this domestic breed gone wild lacks instincts. Since your baby rabbit had no instincts, you could easily grab it. Is this what civilization means by peace on earth?

Not exactly, but most people would agree that taking in a feral cat and keeping it as a pet is not the same thing as catching a bobcat and trying to keep it at a pet.

Or that taking in a stray dog is not the same as taking in a wolf.

While feral/stray rabbits may not be as common as stray cats and dogs, and wild rabbits not as potentially dangerous as bobcats and wolves making a pet of a feral domestic rabbit breed is quite different than going out and trying to catch a jack rabbit and turning into a pet.

Unless you think people should free all their pet cats and dogs or that people should not give homes to stray dogs and cats, it is really no different with keeping a pet rabbit or taking in feral domestic rabbit breeds..

While domestic breeds still have instincts in the same way that pet dogs and house cats still have instincts, the instincts are not as sharply honed as wild animals, and they are more trusting and less aware of possible threats and dangers. Animals that a wild breed would normally view as a possible predator, such as cats and dogs, domestic breeds have lost their natural fear of because they are used to being around such animals.
    Have you heard of rabbit island in Japan, Ōkunoshima? It's full of wild domestic bunnies and you tube has some fun videos of them swarming people. A glimpse of what would happen if bunnies took over the earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    Have you heard of rabbit island in Japan, Ōkunoshima? It's full of wild domestic bunnies and you tube has some fun videos of them swarming people. A glimpse of what would happen if bunnies took over the earth
    No I haven't heard of that before, sounds like it could be pretty amusing though.
    Congrats on the bunny. I suspect he is quite a bit bigger now, too. How's he doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    Congrats on the bunny. I suspect he is quite a bit bigger now, too. How's he doing?
    Haha yes indeed, he actually resemebles a rabbit shape now, instead of just a round ball of fur. He is doing very well. Quite the friendly and currious little guy.

Here are soem more recent pictures

[url]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/016/9/c/2015_01_16_13_51_31_by_silverwynd-d8e70j8.jpg[/url

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/016/a/c/2015_01_16_13_51_45_by_silverwynd-d8e714t.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2015/016/a/e/2015_01_16_13_50_38_by_silverwynd-d8e6z24.jpg