View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Medicine and Poor Logic

Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
The matter of the fraud about serum cholesterol causing heart disease came up at Starbucks this morning. It was early enough that we avoided a fight (we agreed). I donít blame any particular people for making any grand conspiracy, and I consider this myth simply a side effect of many people and businesses trying to make more money. I donít begrudge anyone a living, but making money by damaging the health of millions, or even billions, of people is a bit extreme.

There is no doubt that Statin drugs are hazardous (see link). The severity of the side effects is variable, but they can, and apparently do, shorten lives. On the other hand, cholesterol is necessary for health, and low cholesterol has been linked directly to strokes with a known and demonstrated causal link. Levels donít usually get to the extremely low level where the absorption of nutrients by cells would be diminished, but the levels aimed at by treatments would lead to decreased production of a variety of hormones and neurotransmitters.

One thing that they donít tell you about is that Statins lead to lowered testosterone levels that can lead to erectile dysfunction. I wonder how many men are getting secondary treatment to eliminate a problem that is being created by medical treatment. It would be one thing if serum cholesterol were a problem, but it isn't. In addition, for women low cholesterol leads to lower levels of estrogen and progesterone; thus leading to lowered fertility and other health problems. The medical industry has used the logical fallacy of equating correlation with causation to create the false impression that there is something wrong with cholesterol.

I usually prefer to think of people as greedy and of greed leading to other matters, and that may be part of the reason for the cholesterol thing. Cholesterol tests cost anywhere from $5 to $100, and there are millions of such tests every year, and the test is in addition to physicians' consulting fees, so there's a lot of money in that business. But the matter of lowered sex drive and fertility may point at a conspiracy to decrease human population, which would not be bad, but doing it by fraud is still fraud, and we don't know who is behind it; although it could be an unintended side effect of the effort by the makers of statins to make more money.

The big question that remains is whether the two groups that would favor treating cholesterol are the same people, or it there are two separate groups pushing that for their different reasons. That's mostly a matter of curiosity, because it is going on regardless of anyone's reasons.

The next step will be curative action. How will we go about correcting the treatment of cholesterol by the medical industry? On a personal level, I simply ignore suggestions that I get a cholesterol tests, and I encourage others to do the same. Are there other actions that should be taken? Maybe we should raise a ruckus, but demonstrations are a drag. This situation is similar in nature to the matter of climate change. In both correlation is being taken as causation, and the non-logical conclusions are being treated as if they were religious truths. This points to a major deficiency in education. Logic should be taught in the schools.

Statin problems
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/art-20046013
http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfun...sterone_libido

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/58

Updated 11-28-2014 at 05:40 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments