View RSS Feed

farnoosh

Trying to study.... and failing.

Rate this Entry
Is reading poetry instead of doing homework ( due on Sunday) of process control analysis considered failing in studying?

Anyway, here's the poem...

The Clod and the Pebble
by William Blake (1757-1827)

Love seeketh not Itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care;
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a Heaven in Hells despair.

So sang a little Clod of Clay,
Trodden with the cattle's feet;
But a Pebble of the brook,
Warbled out these metres meet.

Love seeketh only Self to please,

To bind another to Its delight:
Joys in anothers loss of ease,
And builds a Hell in Heavens despite.
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Your tastes are impeccable
    Blake is quite dear, and right up there with Goethe and Shelley in measure of brilliant poets
    Thank you NikolaiI
    I really like this poem, I haven't read anything from Goethe or Shelley yet though... *writing them down on my reading list*
    You're welcome Blake is definitely my favorite; I think I'd just say Blake and Goethe are tied for it
    So it wouldn't let me post it earlier, but this came to mind right after I read your post

"The Fly," by William Blake

Little fly,
    Thy summer’s play
    My thoughtless hand
    Has brushed away.

Am not I
    A fly like thee?
    Or art not thou
    A man like me?

For I dance
    And drink and sing,
    Till some blind hand
    Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
    And strength and breath,
    And the want
    Of thought is death,

Then am I
    A happy fly,
    If I live,
    Or if I die.

- oh yeah, besides being such brilliant poets, Blake and Goethe also have art ability in common..

I also like some of Blake's letters and such; one was especially hiarious to me..
    I Loved this! So beautiful and powerful. - Lost for words at the moment...
    When I look back on my engineering classes, I wonder how I made it through college. Process control analysis - yuk! But study and do well, and get that engineering degree. Actual engineering work is a lot more fun and interesting than engineering school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    When I look back on my engineering classes, I wonder how I made it through college. Process control analysis - yuk! But study and do well, and get that engineering degree. Actual engineering work is a lot more fun and interesting than engineering school.
    I agree. I took an internship in a petrochemical company last summer and the things they were teaching us weren't in any of our text books. It's like the industrial research differs from the research being done in universities, makes you wonder then what is the point of studying text book for 4 years? Anywayy.....
    I know what you mean

Glad I could share it.. Yesterday I realized my digital lib. was missing any and all his works, so I downloaded them... which reminds me, the other day, I got the name and site wrong, it's actually gutenberg.org
    Updated 10-25-2014 at 12:35 PM by NikolaiI
    Quote Originally Posted by farnoosh
    I agree. I took an internship in a petrochemical company last summer and the things they were teaching us weren't in any of our text books. It's like the industrial research differs from the research being done in universities, makes you wonder then what is the point of studying text book for 4 years? Anywayy.....
    The point is that you're oriented into an engineering mentality. And it gives you the foundation of the scientific principles on which the engineering is based. You'll be a fine engineer, I can tell.
    The point is that you're oriented into an engineering mentality. And it gives you the foundation of the scientific principles on which the engineering is based. You'll be a fine engineer, I can tell.
    Why do you think that? Im not so sure I've got what it takes.
    industrial research is more practical than scientific research which is more theoretical. If only there was a solid method for relating the two together rather than actually separating them from each other. what is your job Virgil? If you dont mind me asking
    I'm a mechanical engineer. Why do I think you'll be fine? Because you enjoyed your summer job. And because I've seen lots of students who were frustrated in college but did quite well once they were in the real world. You seem to fit the pattern.
    I'm a mechanical engineer. Why do I think you'll be fine? Because you enjoyed your summer job. And because I've seen lots of students who were frustrated in college but did quite well once they were in the real world. You seem to fit the pattern.
    That's what I needed to hear
    Everyone is always telling me: You'll be fine, you always do great-lalalala. But I need insurance- knowing that you've seen others like me (sort of) do fine after this, makes me believe, maybe it will all be okay. Thank you Virgil