View RSS Feed

Barmy Blue's Bland Blog

I Wonder If Thor's Angry

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
We're having an electrical storm now. It's pretty exciting. I've never been scared of thunder, even when I was little, so I found it funny that, when it happened at school, the other children always started crying and wailing.
So. As it's a pretty active storm. Usually the thunder and lightning passes in a few minutes but this one is sticking around. The sky keeps flashing a bright blue/white and I think I actually saw a little bit of a real bolt. I rarely get to see bolts in real life because there's not usually anything high enough for them to strike. Well, not that I can see.

This storm reminded mum of a news story she heard the other day and she proceeded to tell me about it.
Marvel have proudly announced that they're going to make Thor a woman .................................................. ................... Yeah...................................... That sounds real smart. Heavy on the sarcasm.

Now. I am not a comic book fan exactly but I do rather admire them. If I'd had an opportunity to get into comic books I'm pretty sure I would have, since I got into manga very easily when I had the chance. Oddly enough I'm getting acquainted with Shonen Ai at the moment, a sure sign that I'm maturing, since before I couldn't see it without bursting out into nervous laughing. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

So. Female Thor. Needless to say proper fans have already been forming their opinions. But as a woman with an admiration for comic book characters and, as something of a writer, I feel I can weigh in here.

What the hell! No really. What the hell are Marvel thinking?

You don't just change a well established character like that. Now. Not much is known. But it seems that they are claiming they will permanently change Thor into a female character to appeal to a female audience , which has been greatly neglected by the comic book collective as a whole, there's no denying that.
Over the years comic books have mainly been bought and aimed at boys and men with little to entice the more girly girls. And, now gender stereotypes are being dealt with. Girls can take part in more "boy's" stuff and boys can take part in more "girl's" stuff. Even that isn't exactly equal. While more girls are able to take up "boy's" stuff without so many negative associations many "girl's" things are seen as gay if boys do them which is rather unfair. But I'm digressing.

First off. Why Thor specifically? Is this the start of a new wave of male superheroes gender swapping? Where does it end? Will they make the Green Goblin female? How about Wolverine? A female Venom?
There are plenty of comic book heroines that have been created over the years that are largely unknown to those who aren't big fans. If you want to attract female readers revamp your existing female characters. It would cause considerably less outrage. Or create a new one.
Also. To attract more female readers you need to break the association of comic books being for nerdy boys, not warp a beloved character, and established cash cow.

I will not suddenly start reading Thor just because the caracter is a woman.

Also. It needs to be noted that the comic book hero is based on the Norse god Thor. The god of thunder, generally portrayed as a man. Now. I'm not saying that all gods are male. But in religions where both male and female gods are established then that is how it is. To change it seems a tad disrespectful (I'm not saying that changing Marvel's Thor is disrespectful to the Norse religion, I mean in general regarding that specific god, though altering the marvel character does seem a tad insulting to the Norse god. If the character had originally been female that doesn't seem insulting to me as changing his gender a few decades on. If the character were originally female then you can accept that that's how the original artist wanted it to be). In regards to religions with only one god then that's a grey area for me, it would make more sense if it were a genderless or ambiguous entity rather than one gender or another. But again I digress.

Also. Changing the character outright is all wrong and, as a writer, it makes me wonder a lot of things. For this change to be accepted it has to be done well. Not just very well. It needs to be done absolutely perfectly. It has to blow the reader's minds so that even the majority of Thor's existing fan base go "wow, that's so epic". Now. If Marvel are absolutely sure that the writers and artists can achieve this then sure. Go ahead. But. I highly doubt that will happen.

If you want to change a well loved and established character you dip your toe in the water and see how it's received.
You have Thor encounter some new villain, a spell, a magical artefact, a temporal anomaly or something that will plausibly alter his gender for one story arc. You have her struggle to get used to the changes. Women are built differently to men. They are perceived differently than men by others. You have her experience these difficulties and overcome them. Then, in the dramatic finale you have her changed back into a man by defeating the villain or finding the answer to that ever caused it. You have him think back over his experiences and have him learn that it has made him stronger as a person or something. If it was well received you do another story arc where he changes gender or you do a spinoff series.

Alternatively, rather than having the existing character change gender, you introduce a female counterpart from a parallel dimension. Although she is a female Thor you have much more freedom to alter her character as she will have encountered different experiences in her dimension to the male Thor.
You have the two characters work together to achieve a goal. Maybe you have them hating each other to start with, as meeting another version of yourself would amplify things about yourself that you are unhappy with or highlight things about you that you didn't know existed, as you are seeing yourself as others would perceive you. You have them overcome their differences, or similarities, and achieve their common goal. With the goal achieved the female Thor will be returning to her own dimension. You have the whole "it was a pleasure working with you, I hope our paths cross again but for now goodbye" or something. She returns, knowing that there is someone in that dimension that she can count on again if need be and the male Thor also knows that about her.

If the female character was well received you start a spinoff series of her adventures in her own dimension, which means you can introduce a wealth of new or altered characters and the existing fans won't get so annoyed because it's an alternate universe, so if they don't like it then it doesn't affect their existing male Thor canon.

In general the introduction of female characters into an existing plot is annoying. If a novel existed of predominantly male characters then that's how the writer wanted it. When you make it into a film or television series or anything like that you don't just throw in female characters so you won't seem sexist. You wanted to take part in the project so do it as it was written and take your criticisms like a man, or woman, whichever. It's like when people introduce token ethnic characters into a story so as not to seem racist. If you're uncomfortable with how the original story was set out then don't take on the project. You don't warp something that someone else created just so that people won't hate you.

Now. Yes. Gender and ethnic equality should be seen more in modern media I am not condoning that at all. But to just throw up random characters so you won't seem racist or sexist just seems wrong somehow. If that's how the original work is then that's how it is. Let the critics take it out on the original creator of the work.

I myself have problems with characters. I don't have a problem balancing the ratio of male to female characters as I am female. I think it is easier for me. But I do struggle with ethnic characters. It's hard to include characters of other ethnicities without sounding racist. If you go out of your way to highlight an ethnic character then that could seem racist but it you don't include any then that's also seen as racist. As I'm White English (I've always hated those terms. I'm not white. I'm pink but still) pretty much every character I immediately think of is a white character. And I know that's wrong but I can't help that that's what I see. In my novel (which I still haven't written) both the lead males and female are white, as are their friends who pop up along the way. I'm not saying that there aren't characters of other ethnicities in that world, if it were made into a visual medium then there would be a good mix of various ethnicities as background extras but it's just that the main and supporting cast are all white characters. I think it's because every character I create is a representation of myself in one way or another. Even in my mad scientist project I'm ashamed to say that the cast are mainly all white English, though one is of Scottish descent, one is of Swiss/German descent, a small handful are French, an even smaller handful are American, one is Serbian-American and a background character and his family who rarely appear are Egyptian, there are one or two of Eastern European origin too and two separate tribes from remote islands, though they could seem a little insulting. It is set in a kind of Victorian London, though that's no excuse.

I love all of my characters very much, even though I am a little disgusted with myself for not being able to create more ethnically diverse characters to better reflect the population of the world. If someone got hold of one of my stories and altered my characters or added new ones just because, I would be horrified. The hours, the days, the weeks I spent crafting those characters, it would feel like all that work was being spat on, as if someone were saying "well it's good, but not good enough". Now. Not all artists feel like this. Some accept that changes must be made to fit a particular medium and they're fine with it. But you know how I hate when things like that happen, when the film strays from the book and so on. I can't stand How to Train Your Dragon now. I really hate it. Because I read the first book during my impressionable teens I cannot bear that the film was so drastically altered from the book. Even though it's been stated that Cressida Cowell accepted that changes had to be made to the story for the film I still can't stand it since I loved that book so much. In my mind the story was just perfect the way it was. It was witty and dramatic and comical and heartwarming and it just seemed like such a great book to me. For me the film has utterly ravaged the book.

So I fully appreciate that it is very hard not to make something, a written work especially, seem racist and in some cases sexist and that some things need to be changed to fit a different medium. But you don't just change everything that the original creator set down just so that you won't be hated, or so you can appeal to a wider market. If it bothers you that much then you create something yourself to avoid those concerns or to appeal to that market. You don't alter something that someone loved just so suit your needs. It really bugs me.

Ah. I've raged far too long. Sorry. I apologise if any of my views or any of this content offends you but it's not like I forced you to read it.

Bluebiird out.

Updated 07-18-2014 at 12:04 AM by Bluebiird

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I agree Blue, the whole idea smacks of tokenism. Instead of creating a new, well formed and well rounded (not just in the chest department) female character they take a well known male character and give it boobs. So in essence it is the same character - how does that represent women? It's lazy and dumb and they're fooling no one. Why not introduce a series of comics based around the character of Frigg or Freyja if they need to widen the appeal and (let's face it) access the purses of female readers. Turning an established character female doesn't make the genre less sexist or address the problem of ethnic bias. And why Thor? It would be easier to swallow if it wasn't a character whose identity was formulated in ancient myth; maybe a female Hulk or a Iron Woman. Why not introduce an Athena or a Hera? It's a pathetic move, more motivated by economics than a genuine desire to more fairly represent women in the genre.
    I admit I am not a big Comic Book reader (though I am starting to delve into the reading of some graphic novels) but I love the movies based on comic books, and Thor is one of my favorites considering I am partial to Norse Mythology. When I read this I had the same thought as Fifth, instead of turning Thor into a woman, which makes no kind of sense why not just create a character based upon Freyja. Or a Valkyrie would make an awesome superhero.

It seems dumb to just redefine their original established characters instead of creating brand new characters to try and appeal to a wider market. It also seems like if they keep altering older characters they will begin to lose their audience because old fans will start to get ticked off.
    Thanks for commenting. I was getting a little anxious about this entry and was thinking of deleting it.
    I've since read what the news post on Marvel's website actually said, which was really hard because it kept crashing, not sure if that's me or the site but I think it's a problem at my end.
    It sounds like a female will be taking up the mantle of Thor and not that Thor himself will somehow become a woman. The information of other sites is a little sketchy so I didn't know that at the time. But my point still stands. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that along with this announcement Marvel also announced that they're going to make Captain America black which also seems to have received negative criticism. But there is an actual story to it. It seems that the original Captain America will have something happen to him that will prevent him from being a super hero anymore so his friend, the Falcon, an already well established super hero, will take up the Captain America mantle. But I'm not sure this change will sit so well with fans of either character. Also Marvel have stated that this will not affect the films, well at least not yet, but who knows what the future will bring.
    That which has been before was far from perfect. Attitudes to things were different when these characters were designed. That's just how it was. You don't change it. You improve it. You make something new and fresh that meets all of the modern criteria. You make something new that represents now. Sure, you revamp a character but you don't change them completely.
    Ah. This was a bit long. Sorry.

Also, Fifth, there is already an existing female Hulk. She's called She-Hulk and she's the cousin of Bruce Banner, I remember her from the cartoon series. Her name is Jennifer Walters.
    Updated 07-18-2014 at 02:20 PM by Bluebiird
    I heard about the having the Falcon become Captain America. It seemed odd to me to have one Superhero turn into another Superhero. And though I know I don't read the comics, I remember cartoons as a kid and I always liked the Falcon (in part because I am partial to birds of prey in general) but Captain America has never been a favorite of mine (didn't see any of his movies).

Hmm I wonder if I would see a Falcon/Captain America movie if they made one.
    Didn't the Falcon appear in the Winter Soldier? I didn't see it either. I've never exactly been very fond of Captain America either, the name always seemed so obnoxious somehow. I wonder if it's because I'm not American. I'm not too big on the 4th of July either, since it doesn't really have as much significance for us.
    Yeah the name is one of the things which bugs me about Captain America, and I don't much care for the 4th of July either. Haha I know I will be ostracized for saying this, but I have just never been patriotic.
    "Marvel have proudly announced that they're going to make Thor a woman"

Growing up my friends and I all had favorite superheroes. I had Ironman, which turned out to be somewhat prophetic since he was an engineer and a capitalist, and in contrast to the Hollywood movies which softened his image, he was very much a pro-military type of guy, which I loved. One of my close friend's favorite superhero growing up was and still is Thor. Oh this is going to be such fun at our next BBQ when all the guys sit around swilling beer and making fun of the transgendered Thor. Frankly this is idiotic, but what the hell, society has gone down the tubes anyway. I might as well have fun with it.
    One other thing Blue, on a more serious note. You can't really write about diverse people without having somewhat experienced them and their surroundings. Even say, of an Austrailian, which might not be all that different than your surroundings. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable writing about a British man or woman without having him come across as two dimensional. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable about having a major character from Alaska, and yet he would be American. Perhaps as a minor, move-the-plot-along character one could wing it, but a major or significant character would probably come across as a stick figure. Unless you're brilliant. Write about what you know is a general rule, and I would say write about who you know is a good corollary.
    Was chatting to a guy in the (extensive) queue at Comic Con yesterday, and he was explaining that whoever has the hammer is 'Thor' so the argument is that the hammer passes to a woman and the woman *becomes* Thor. So that's how they're explaining the idea, though I still think it is rubbish. I agree with what you say about how trying to change the past doesn't resolve the problem, but instead they should seek to improve in the present. Something new and innovative would be better. Representation comes through careful consideration and effort, not by making tokenistic changes.

Was also discussing this interesting logical consequence of the change in the Thor character. Disney owns Marvel. Marvel owns Thor. Thor is the son of a king. Thor is now a woman. Thor is therefore a Disney princess.

Hmm.
    I never heard the thing about whoever has the hammer becomes Thor, but I never followed Thor that carefully. I'll have to ask my friend. The thing is, already there are plenty of female superhero characters: Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Black Widow, Hawkgirl, Marvelgirl. Other than Wonder Woman none of them are really major icons. And it comes down to who buys the comics. My sister never cared an once about superheroes. This is a boys interest. If girls went out and bought superhero comics like boys do then I'm sure the magazines would have supplied a rich array of female characters.

Good point on Disney, Fifth. I bet this is Hollywood driven. They are trying to make a point on transgender. Think of the symbolism here. Thor is giving up his phallic "hammer" and a woman puts it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    Thanks for commenting. I was getting a little anxious about this entry and was thinking of deleting it.
    I've since read what the news post on Marvel's website actually said, which was really hard because it kept crashing, not sure if that's me or the site but I think it's a problem at my end.
    It sounds like a female will be taking up the mantle of Thor and not that Thor himself will somehow become a woman. The information of other sites is a little sketchy so I didn't know that at the time. But my point still stands. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that along with this announcement Marvel also announced that they're going to make Captain America black which also seems to have received negative criticism. But there is an actual story to it. It seems that the original Captain America will have something happen to him that will prevent him from being a super hero anymore so his friend, the Falcon, an already well established super hero, will take up the Captain America mantle. But I'm not sure this change will sit so well with fans of either character. Also Marvel have stated that this will not affect the films, well at least not yet, but who knows what the future will bring.
    That which has been before was far from perfect. Attitudes to things were different when these characters were designed. That's just how it was. You don't change it. You improve it. You make something new and fresh that meets all of the modern criteria. You make something new that represents now. Sure, you revamp a character but you don't change them completely.
    Ah. This was a bit long. Sorry.

Also, Fifth, there is already an existing female Hulk. She's called She-Hulk and she's the cousin of Bruce Banner, I remember her from the cartoon series. Her name is Jennifer Walters.
    Yes, there is a She-Hulk, She-Spiderman (or something like that), Supergirl, Batgirl, and many female versions of the major male characters. They've given the girls a chance.

As to the Falcon and Captain America, that is actually a credible exchange. Falcon was Captain America's long time partner, and these kind of exchanges happen in the comics. At some point I would expect Captain America to return. I believe Falcon had his own comic book at one point. I haven't bought comics since I was a teenager, so no clue what's out there now. All I can tell you is my son is obsessed with superheros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    I never heard the thing about whoever has the hammer becomes Thor, but I never followed Thor that carefully. I'll have to ask my friend. The thing is, already there are plenty of female superhero characters: Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Black Widow, Hawkgirl, Marvelgirl. Other than Wonder Woman none of them are really major icons. And it comes down to who buys the comics. My sister never cared an once about superheroes. This is a boys interest. If girls went out and bought superhero comics like boys do then I'm sure the magazines would have supplied a rich array of female characters.
    No Virgil, that's just a sexist stereotype. Just because your sister wasn't interested in superheroes doesn't mean that 'girls' aren't interested in superheroes. And if you consider 'boys', superhero magazines don't appeal to all of those either. My son isn't interested in superheroes, for example (not the Marvel / DC version anyway), but my soon to be daughter in law loves them. And the idea that 'if girls went out and bought superhero comics like boys do then I'm sure the magazines would have supplied a rich array of female characters' is just a lazy, culturally hegemonic argument. When was that ever true? Organisations are all about profit (I think you've mentioned this before) so the people the comic books are marketed towards is driven largely by economic power. In the past girls and women had no economic power, hence they weren't 'important'. Comic books ignored women except where women served to advance the plot for the male character or, in more recent times, to appeal to horny teenage boys. Is it surprising that many women and girls reject a genre in which the women are presented as cardboard characters whose purpose is to service the (by implication) more important men? Whose existence is secondary - a status which is reinforced by the failure to create a decent female superhero but instead roll out an array of She(enter name of male character) identities. In fact you mention Wonder Woman, which is perhaps one of the only characters that doesn't follow a 'Wonder Man'. Do you really think that it wouldn't be possible, if Marvel and DC were really serious about opening the genre up to women, for them to create a decent female superhero? You only have to look at how the world has embraced Katniss Everdeen to know it's not that difficult. Which is why Marvel are pooping their pants now because suddenly women have economic power and are spending and they've seen right through Marvel and aren't spending on their two-dimensional product. In a globalised world it is much easier and more pleasurable to find more balanced and better material elsewhere - the Japanese, for example, in the Ghibli movies like Spirited Away, Arrietty, Ponyo and Princess Mononoke all the main characters are strong female characters, and by that I don't mean they wear sexy outfits and kick people, but instead they are well formed with flaws and personal strength that derives from their character as well as their actions. They make Disney princesses look like paper dolls in comparison. The big problem Marvel and DC have is that they're so dated.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    Yes, there is a She-Hulk, She-Spiderman (or something like that), Supergirl, Batgirl, and many female versions of the major male characters. They've given the girls a chance.
    Considering your reaction to the idea of a female Thor, I'm sure you can figure out for yourself the logical fallacy in that statement.
    I don't think it's a stereotype at all. Market sales are what they are. If Marvel and DC comics could sell superhero comic books to girls they would have. There have been plenty of female superheros. I don't have the sales numbers to prove it but I see no reason why they wouldn't put out female superheros if there was interest. Sure my sister is one data point. On the street where i grew up and hung out with my friends, I don't recall any of the girls interested in superheros. That's about a half dozen or a bit more in my age group. In fact I don't recall any in school either at any grade level. Memory might be distorted but from logical experience the burden of proof should be on showing me that girls are interested, not the other way around. Your daughter-in-law is just one data point the other way. How many women do you know that loved them? And boys where I grew up didn't have any more or any less money than girls. Girls spent their money on makeup and girly stuff. If I remember correctly they bought cigarettes on the sly. What proof do you have that girls have been historically interested in superheroes?

And those female versions of male superheros were just a quick way of me listing a few female superheroes. There have been others in their own. Here's a list, though it includes both superheros and villains: http://www.superherodb.com/character...femaleidentity

And don't be so quick to call the creators of the female versions of male superheros sexist. The reason they did that was to capitalize on the already familiarity of an established character. It was probably to entice girls to the comics. If original female superheros didn't sell, perhaps, the logic goes, already established male versions might entice them based on popularity. I'm afraid neither approach wound up selling.

Of all the girls on Lit Net that are reading this, raise your hand if you were an avid superhero comic book fan? I'd like to know.
    Updated 07-21-2014 at 09:32 PM by Virgil
    @Bluebird

I don't know if Thor is angry but my friend the Thor fan was furious. I started an email train of messages (we don't text) today between my old friends and we had a lot of fun with it. My friend wasn't angry at us. He knows that is how we kid each other and it's par for the course. He was angry at Marvel and said he already has started coordinating letters of complaint, actually more than complaint - outright anger, to send to them. He really is a big Thor fan.
    Why do I have a sudden feeling that I need to referee here?

- Yes. Comic books are generally sexist. They originated in an era of sexism so will always carry a degree of it, even now.
    - Yes. They were generally marketed at boys. Whether or not girls bought them too is neither here nor there as the majority of readers were male.
    - Yes. Generally girls had other interests besides comic books, there were some who bought comic books but most didn't.
    - Yes. There have been female superheroes, many of whom, by name alone, seem rather gimmicky.
    - No. They haven't done as well as the male superheroes. If someone asks you to name a superhero on the spot you're highly unlikely to name a woman.
    - Whether or not the female superheroes were designed to appeal to girls or not I cannot say for sure. But, judging by the drawing styles, it's pretty obvious they were meant as "eye candy" if nothing else, although yes they do provide plot.
    - The idea of female spinoffs like bat girl, she-hulk, super girl etc is pretty gimmicky. They don't seem to have been made to appeal to female readers but rather to extend the range of a particular super hero, like with Krypto the super dog. Does Superman really need a dog? No. But it's another character to add the "Super" name to something and expand the concept of Superman.
    - Yes. Even today female characters for various things come off as pretty weak, with some exceptions. While you do get pretty badass females they're outweighed by the helpless "I can't do anything" females. The number of times I've seen a film, TV show or played a game and been disappointed by the "I'm too weak and stupid to save myself" girl beggars belief. Come on. The bad guy's right there, punch him in the face already, at least do something besides falling back and screaming hysterically and waiting for the man to sneak up behind him and clock him over the head with a pipe. It does get very annoying.

But. Back to the main point. The enemy here is Marvel. The way they've made such a big fuss about announcing a female Thor and a black Captain America is what's most annoying. It kind of seems like a child who has done a particularly big poop in the potty. In itself it is unspectacular, but the child is going "look at that, look what I did, aren't I clever?" And you know that before long Marvel will go back to the status quo as if nothing happened.
    I've been thinking. If they really want to appeal to a wider audience then they should take a look at Japan. Manga, which is Japan's version of comic books, though they're generally bigger, appeals to so many people over so many generations. You have manga for small children, preteens, boys, girls, teen boys, teen girls, young adults, men and women. While one manga does not appeal to everyone there is always something to appeal to a market. If you keep looking it will be hard to find something that doesn't appeal to you.
    This is where the American comic book falls down. It's stuck in a niche, a pretty big niche but a niche nonetheless.
    Updated 07-22-2014 at 11:28 AM by Bluebiird
    Excellent blog and point, Bluebiird. I don't read comic books but it seems lame even to me.

It wouldn't be at all hard to do this right, but we all know that's not gonna happen. That's what happens when you disparage art and the written word as unimportant. It reminds me so much of what's going on on the big screen here in the states, with the almost desperate rush to film yet another bigger than life action film. They have all become cookie cutter stories and characters, not one more memorable than the other.

Speaking of women, and this changes the topic just slightly, I always find it annoying when a series of movies like the Indiana Jones "franchise" offers up a different girlfriend for the hero in each movie. What's up with that? Talk about making the woman's role unimportant and interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by qimissung
    They have all become cookie cutter stories and characters, not one more memorable than the other.
    That's pretty much the reason I don't go to the cinema anymore. I find movies have become very disappointing, boring and/or predictable so if there's something I wanted to see I wait about two-four years for it to come out on TV and find that it wasn't worth going to see and feel glad that I didn't pay to see it.
    As to the Indiana Jones and other such films subject, I think there are times when the original female actress couldn't be in the next film for some reason (e.g. another job, pregnancy, rehab etc.), or didn't want to do it. But there are also other times when they just don't "look the part" anymore, like maybe they're not "sexy enough" anymore because they're either too fat or too thin or maybe their character just doesn't fit the new plot line so well. You also have to take into account that while sequels may have the same, or some of the same, cast they usually have a different director or producer or something who has a different idea of how the film should be to the original director and/or producer.
    I've just been thinking. With this whole "diverse" Marvel thing. Marvel have either been incredibly stupid or unbelievably smart.
    Think about it. If they really are stupid enough to think that woman Thor and black Captain America, and the way they've announced it, will be the most amazing thing ever then you have to wonder about the decline of human civilisation as a whole.
    But. It's more likely that they've been incredibly smart. You know how some people say any publicity is good publicity? Or there's no such thing as bad press? Well. Look at the publicity this whole thing has received. People who generally never gave Marvel, Captain America or Thor a second thought, suddenly have it thrust in their faces. The outrage at Marvel's stupidity has blown up and now pretty much everyone knows about it. I'd say it's gone viral. You can't buy publicity like this. And, don't forget they have a new film and a few others in the pipes. This has gotten Marvel's name into pretty much every household. Clever.