View RSS Feed

Halls of the Dark Muse

The Problem With Domesticated Sankes

Rate this Entry
Both my corn snake and the king snake I used to have would go through periodic phases where they just wouldn't eat, there are a lot of natural things which can sometimes cause a snake not to eat. If a snake is nearing its shed time they won't eat, sometimes during their mating season they won't eat, and in the winter it is natural for snakes to hibernate, so even if they are kept in a temperature regulated environment sometimes in the winter they will not eat as much. But my corn snake seems a lot more finicky about eating than my king snake. It is true that king snakes are more aggressive hunters/eaters than corn snakes are. In the wild king snakes actively hunt and pursue their prey, while corn snakes will camouflage themselves and wait for their prey to come to them.

But I think that pet snakes become a bit too complacent, much like humans have become over years of civilization, and they start to lose some of their natural survival instincts. Domesticated snakes become accustomed to the idea that their food magically appears to them on a regular basis, and they don't really have to do much work to catch it and eat it, so just like people I think they begin to take their food for granted. When I feed them I think a part of them think, hey I don't have to eat it right now if I don't want to. They lose that edge, of I have to eat while I can because I don't know when another opportunity will come again.

I got a mouse for my snake the other day, of which he decided not to eat, so today I removed the mouse from his cage, and even though he was displaying no intention of eating and no interest in the mouse, he still seemed rather affronted, and irritated that I was taking it away from him.
Categories
Random Musings

Comments

I agree that domesticated animals do loose their instinct to be defensive or act like a predator. I have seen a documentary that document this, I believe, with foxes as several generations are born in captivity. The animals become for affectionate and trusting, while their forefathers were hunters and aggressive. I suppose this could also be true with snakes. It makes sense in general.

I have to share that I detest snakes and frogs/toads. We have one that hangs out in the garden that has lead me to let out a blood curdling scream as well as brought my son to hysterics. Of course, Mr. Jersea seizes with laughter at the notion of this little garden snake causing so much commotion among the flowers. It is a battle of the nerves every time I go in to weed. I have a stick that I wave through the irises just to make sure it is not present.

Anyway, I think it is so funny how even the snake can have a personality and be affronted that you removed its midnight fun. I hope that it reclaims its appetite and eats soon.
    I have a fondness for all reptiles in general, I used to have a cute little pet frog, it was called an African Dwarf Frog, and there used to be a big old toad that hung out in the drain pipe under the steps by the back door, I do miss hearing him. But snakes I am particularly partial too.

Most people do not think of reptiles as having personalities, not the way a cat or dog does, but I can say there are definite differences between my king snake and my corn snake. It was quite funny the look he gave me when I removed the mouse from his cage.

Yes, I hope so, usually if I just wait another week and than try and feed him again he will eat.