View RSS Feed

day in a life

A new year has come

Rate this Entry
Well today is the first day of the new year. I am kinda tired, we were at my moms house yesterday but me and the boy walked home before 12 cause I was scared the dogs would be freaking out alone at home. They were OK and we just celebrated the new year and watched the Muppets movie. Here on the ice people buy fireworks for crazy amounts of money and then everybody is blowing them up in their backyards. My son was terrified walking the streets with all this going on. People stop traffic and are just where ever they want to be with these crazy bombs. Spock wouldn't go out to pee from about 4 yesterday and 'till 10 this morning, that's what 17 hours?! Sisko is a bit braver and went outside around 1:30 last night.

I did very well at school this past semester and I got 8.5 on all my courses, so I just plan to continue like that from now on. I never got grades like that before and that was really because of one simple reason. Because of my numbers blindness (I have no idea what it is called in English but it's like dyslexia with numbers) I felt from about 11 years of age that I must be very stupid not being able to do the simple math most of the other kids could do. It wasn't diagnosed 'till I was 17 and the principal said it was time to see if that could be my problem, she was right. I had to take a 2 hour IQ test. Well this affected me more than I thought and I have always been scared of working hard on projects if I'd then realize that my hard work ended with a bad grade and my fear of being ignorant would be true. Now I needed to work harder cause I want to continue my studies and my average grade was just a bit too low. Now it is above and will hopefully be even higher after my last semester.

I think I have been more organized on every level this semester and I think I feel even better than I have before. MY son is doing great at school, he reads a lot and is learning how to play Ukulele, and he is gonna take a course in art after school now. He says he wants to be an artist when he grows up so I hope he'll enjoy it.

My mom is pushing me quite a lot to go out more but I am just not ready for that. My brother had another concert with a friend the other day but I just couldn't imagine going, I hardly slept knowing this was coming and after the last one I felt like a nervous wreck for days.

I don't know why I am like this and this might be something I should get over but it's gonna happen slowly and when I am ready.

Anyways, happy new year, and thanks for commenting on my ramblings in 2013
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

When I was growing up in Brooklyn, they used to have fireworks like that in the street and back yards on Fourth of July, which is our Independence Day. Thank God they put a stop to it. I can see allowing people to blow fireworks like that in the country, but in the city it was downright dangerous. You risked your life just walking around.

There is a name for that numbers dyslexia in English, but I don't remember what it is. I just looked it up, I think it might be Dyscalculia. Is this it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyscalculia

I'm glad both you and you're son are doing well.
    I believe the technical term in English is Dyscalculia. It's actually easier to say than to spell it seems. I've always struggled with maths but having never been diagnosed with it I'm not sure if I have it of if I'm just too slow to understand. I get a great sense of accomplishment when I work something out for myself, even if it takes a little longer that an average person.
    Well done and all the best.

Now I find this comment is almost pointless since Virgil got there before me .
    Yes Dyscalculia is the term, I have used it before but it's not something you say everyday, also the Icelandic word is simple and straightforward.

I always understood the method it just all went south when I had to apply it myself. Spatial reasoning is a part of it and also I used to get 'big' numbers wrong but I have a method now to read them so this doesn't bug me on a daily basis.

It's a good thing I'm studying literature