View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Some Problems with Dating Sites

Rate this Entry
It may be a mistake, but I am about to play Andy Rooney.

In an attempt to meet interesting and pleasant women, I joined some dating sites, but I have learned that those are not for me. Recently I got emails from two such sites inviting me to log in to my account. That would have been O.K., if I had created accounts with those sites, but I hadn’t. I went to them to try to eliminate myself from their rosters, and I think that I succeeded with one, but AsianBeauties.com sent a rather pleasant email asking me why I wanted to leave. I politely replied that I had not opened the account, and I had a beautiful Korean friend, so I had no need for their site. This morning I received an email that said that my account had been deleted. I decided to check Whois, or another directory to find out who is running the site.

Quick searches on google and Whois showed me that the site has a cross reference to a Russian site, and the corporate offices are in Australia, and there are documents in English and in Russian. The results on google mostly use the word “scam”. Apparently there are not a bunch of Asian women, just a bunch of airbrushed photos and someone who writes emails. I can picture some three hundred pound Australian guy pouring down a beer while he writes sweet-nothings for men who make the mistake of joining the site.

I wonder where that site found me. I also wonder what the beautiful Korean woman will think.

From other dating sites I have recently been getting notes from women who live at substantial distances from me, but nothing from local women, at least none from online women. That situation suggests to me that I shouldn’t bother with the dating sites, because I apparently do not come across well on them. But I don’t understand why women who put in their profiles that they are interested in guys from near their locations would bother writing to someone who lives hundreds of miles away. There are a couple of possibilities that come to mind; they could be lying about their locations and actually be nearby, or they may think that I might be amusing from a distance. Or could it be that those sites are also scams, and the women are actually writers of notes? I don’t know, but it might be a good business. I would never pay a penny to any of those sites, but the large sites are known to make money, and there really are people on them.

But I find OKCupid, which is a mostly free site to be vastly entertaining. I initially joined, because there was a test to determine whether one is a psychopath; I flunked; mostly normal, or something like that. There are quite a few other tests of various sorts, and those were amusing. No, it is worthwhile joining the site just to take the tests. Some are off target, and some are just weird, but the bulk of them are interesting and fairly well done. Some are even casual rewrites of serious screening tests and personality screens. In addition to not being a psychopath, I learned that I am not psychotic, an alcoholic, and a few other things, but as a kisser I am “The explorer”, and in the Reincarnation Placement Exam I got Garden of Eden. The site also has a compatibility quantifying system that is built from answers to a large number of questions (I have answered more than a thousand questions, but there are more.), and the results are interesting, if nothing else. I would like to meet some of the high percentage matches, but they are as dubious as I am. But this is a much more interesting site than Match.com, eharmony, and similar sites; even if there’s no one who interests you, the site is interesting, and the price is right.

Some of the other sites probably should go into scamming. Through the decades I have made some rather good friends online, but I never went in planning to do so. I probably shouldn’t expect anything, so that I won’t be disappointed. But the more I think about it, the more I think that creating a dating site would be great fun, and it might make money.

I understand why, but it is ironic that there is an ad for a dating site on this page.

Updated 12-10-2013 at 09:32 PM by PeterL

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I got another email from one of those scam, dating sites, a new and different one AnastasiaDate.com. I am trying to close that, but I informed the Feds in the hopes that someone puts them out of business, but the site is in Russia, so I doubt that anything will happen.