View RSS Feed

Memories of the 28th Century

Many Worlds and the Assassination of JFK

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Now that it has been demonstrated that effects that were previously thought to exist on the Quantum scale also exist on the macro scale we will have to figure out how to use those effects. It is likely that the effects were first noticed in very small things, because it is easier to apply the conditions on very small things. There probably is a way to entangle the particles of a human with something else, but it will be more difficult than it was with a pair of diamonds. And how will we get one of those diamonds to do Quantum tunneling? I don’t know, but someone will figure it out.

Getting macro sized matter to Quantum tunnel will lead to something closely analogous to the Star Trek Transporter. But how will we get things to tunnel? For single electrons it is simply a matter of putting them in front of a barrier, and they go to the other side without being in the space between the beginning point and the end point. It is possible that the particles travel faster than light, and one can assume that larger things would also travel faster than light. Perhaps this phenomenon is an example of something moving from one of the multiverses to another. Would we be able to travel somewhere and back and carry information? It is thought that Quantum tunnelling violates the law of cause and effect, but it wouldn't, if it slips briefly into a different universe.

Today someone asked whether the concept of Karma can be explained by The Many Worlds Interpretation, and my thought was that it doesn't do any better than plain old cause and effect at that, but the Many Worlds Interpretation is cause and effect carried a little further than usual. The chain of cause and effect goes all the way back before the Big Bang, and it is tough, and there usually is only one possible result from every cause. Everett theorized that there is a world for every possibility, but that is improbable, because things of low probability seldom happen. Even for the most improbable things that do happen there are causes that lead directly to that event; although we may not be able to see that cause. There are, and can be, no gaps in a chain of cause and effect. This leads to me to the thought that there need not be an infinity of worlds.
While it may be possible that there could be an infinity of possible results from a single cause, but there would be a finite number of results that have a significant probability. There are many cases where the possible results are only are few in number, and there is no reason why there has to be a complete bifurcation for each and every possibility. The most efficient way would be for two worlds to combine into a single world, which would allow the interpretation to be symmetrical with respect to time.
Some physicists have major disagreements with the Many Worlds Interpretation, and the infinity is one such problem. Occam’s Razor advises against the unnecessary multiplication of entities, and an infinity of worlds certainly is a multiplication of entities. Reducing that to the probable number of results and allowing worlds to combine would help. It would also reduce the number of worlds, if there could be a partial bifurcation, so that one result would stay in the pre-existing world, and any other results that had significant probabilities would split off into other worlds. We might also discover that more things are determined than are thought at present, and that would further reduce the number of worlds. Indeed, it might be that there are only a dozen, or so other worlds. If events are determined, except for a limited number of events that are truly random, then there would only have to be enough worlds to house those random events.

As I pointed out some time ago, The Many Worlds Interpretation requires that the Multiverse as a whole is deterministic, but it is possible for possibilities to be different in different worlds. In effect our world is not determined, because there are new worlds being created whenever there is a possibility of something else, but the Multiverse contains all possible results, so it is truly determined. If Everett was correct, and there is no way to go from one world to another, then we live in a world with free will.

Travelling from one world to another should be possible by altering in some way the probability of oneself. But the surroundings could also be adjusted or moved from world to world. For example, I used to live in a world where D. B. Cooper got clean away. There was no sign that he did anything except retire on the money he got. Then someone found some packets of money ($5800) near a river near the West Coast, and some people decided that this meant that Cooper had landed there and died, and the money was all that was left, because animals had eaten his body. Then I read that D. B. (or Dan) Cooper survived the parachute jump and visited relatives for Thanksgiving, the next day. So now I live in a world where Cooper lived to enjoy most of the money that he got. Many Worlds dictates that all three results exist, because they are all possible results. Is it possible for them to exist in the same world, so they should, as Occam’s Razor dictates? As I mentioned, I have lived in a world where those three possibilities exist.

If we consider the assassination of John F. Kennedy, then we have a similar situation. There are many theories as to who killed JFK. I won’t go into all of the details of the theories, but more than one could be true without falsifying the others. There could have been several unconnected people attempting the assassination at the same time. We do not need to have separate worlds for each possibility.

Articles regarding Cooper:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ngerprint.html
He may have died:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/db-cooper-1...ry?id=14206956

Stanford
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/

Comments