View RSS Feed

Logos' blog

Forum Top 10 List

Rate this Entry

My Top 10 Forum Satisfaction Hints*

that is, if you are going to stick around and want to meet new friends and get the most out of the site **

10. Post a pic of yourself, or, something/somewhere/anything/ that is meaningful to you, as your avatar, and expresses your personality. It helps people ‘relate’ to you and remember you in the forums. You can also put a pic on your profile and in your signature line. That’s 3 areas where you can make an impact without typing a word, which can be accessed in your User CP (link top left corner of screen).

--

9. Fill out at least a few details in your profile. “Favourite book” and “Interests” are good ones, as well as some idea of your location, even if it’s just the country you live in.. although lots of people like to put “under my desk” or “Over the Rainbow” there instead, which is ok, another way to express your sense of humour/personality, (sense of humour a must here too I should add ) but there are people from all over the world here and they seem to like to know where to ‘place’ you in relation to themselves. You can also post in the “Where are you from?”topic.

--

8. Check out the Introductions area of the Forums. Start a topic introducing yourself to ‘break the ice’ so to speak, or, join in on the “Introduce Yourself and say Hi” topic

--

7. If you have signed up with a handle like “XXyZzzs123” it’s hard for people to ‘relate’ to you on a more personal level. If you sign your posts, even now and then, with your first name (but not your last!), or your nickname, that helps people feel more ‘connected’ to you.

--

6. Start a LitNet Blog . You’d be amazed at how much they are read by others, and people can comment on them, another way to ‘connect’ and express yourself, your interests, what you like to read, where you have traveled etc. and let others get to know you.

--

5. Forums Search is your friend

--

4. In a discussion, ask people questions or post something directly in response to someone else, and using the quote function helps greatly so it’s clear who you are addressing. If you just post “I agree” or “That’s cool” you will find it harder to ‘integrate’ or ‘connect’ with others. You will get more response if you ‘engage’ people in discussions. But please be patient if people don’t respond right away!

--

3. In regards #4 however, if you come here and post only questions/pleas regarding help for homework assignments, are seeking critiques of your stories or poetry, and don’t contribute to any other areas of the forums, you’re much less likely to get any ‘help’ or feedback.

--

2. Read the Forum Rules and FAQ

--

and...

1. Ask questions if you don’t understand something

You can use the Private Message feature to send a PM to Scheherazade, myself, or Admin to ask questions
**(this list is in response to questions I have gotten over the months/years I've been here, and to issues/questions brought up in the forums, mostly by newbies who are getting a feel for the site. It is for informational purposes only. This list does not constitute a guarantee of said satisfaction proposed in the title: your mileage may vary, there are no guarantees in life, the only certainties in life are death and taxes, you reap what you sow, put your best foot forward...er... you get the idea! )

Categories

Comments

heheh....uh, I broke most of these hints-- should've read this a while ago...

I Need More Cowbell!
    I just clicked on the 'where are you from' in #9 and it says I'm blocked. What does that mean?

I Need More Cowbell!

heh, thanks for the 'rattle' B

ampoule, sorry, it was linked to an old thread, I have now updated that link, thanks for pointing it out!