View RSS Feed

kittypaws

Dog Park #13 ~ The Dog Park Meets the Felony Lane Gang.

Rate this Entry
Unfortunately this is no joke. Back in July of 2012 the Worthington Dog Park experienced its first smash and grab break-in to a car parked in the lot. Then the number of break-ins increased and the nerve of the thieves to steal in broad day light in a filled parking lot with people coming and going with their dogs is incomprehensible. I have reported 6 such break-ins where shattered glass is the only evidence and I know there have been more that have happened when I was not there.

Picture the scene. It is a beautiful, Spring, mid-morning on Saturday and everyone with a dog is coming to the Dog Park where their dog can run free and play to theirs heart’s content. No one it thinking that today they will be robbed.

We have a parking lot that is connected to the lower lot and an over-flow lot across the street; often people end up parking on the road side as well. I probably see 100 to 150 dogs on a given Saturday or Sunday. That’s a lot of dogs. Each dog must be checked for proper tags in order to gain access to the park not to mention the new visitors to the park who need an orientation so they know the requirements and rules. On this particular Saturday which was 27 April there was even more going on at the Dpk as The American Cancer Society was having a fund raiser in the park across the street (known as the Upper Park) and there was an adoption event setting up in the back of the lower parking lot. I arrived early to help Sam (the other park attendant) with the over flow. I had just pulled in and stepped out of my vehicle when a man approached me and said,

“Looks like a car was broken into.”

The Felony Lane Gang had struck again. Even with all the traffic, coming and going, they had smashed another car window and stolen a purse. According to police, the Felony Lane Gang is a group of thieves from Broward County in South Florida who travel up and down I-95 and target vehicles in parking areas where moms are most likely to leave their wallet or purse. They target parks, day care centers, public gyms - where people feel safe leaving their valuables. I don’t know how many times after a break-in dog park patrons have said to me
“But this is a dog park!”

Authorities say women then take the identification, credit card and bank checks, alter their appearance to match the victim and use rented cars to go through the outer lane (or the “felony lane”) of the drive thru. They talk on cell phones while making the transaction to distract the teller.

This is not your typical break-in where the thief runs to an outlet store to buy electronics, clothes or food. This group is out to steal your life’s earnings. They try to cash checks for tens of thousands of dollars and wreck your life with identity theft…… Even at the Dog Park.

So the message here is to never, ever leave any valuables in plain sight in your car. Be smart, be safe and spare your life from being ruined.

Words from The Dog Park….
Woof!
Kittypaws

Updated 05-19-2013 at 01:04 PM by kittypaws

Categories
Dog Park

Comments

This is why I like that my wallet is always chained to my belt. Although, if anyone did steal it all they'd get is an oyster card, a debit card I'd cancel as soon as possible, a little cash, a year old receipt for some cheques I cashed last year, a receipt from my opticians from last year, a receipt from my last oyster card top up 2 months ago, a Naruto trading card in Japanese that came with the wallet and a fortune cookie fortune saying "everything happens for a reason".
    A nice antitheft device would be a wallet or purse that electrocutes thieves. Or one of those exploding dye things they use in bank robberies. But I guess all you can do is put up signs warning people and hope they take notice.
    It's really a shame that people have to experience this kind of thing at a dog park or at any park for that matter. You are never safe and should lock your doors.
    I cannot stand people who ruin other people's lives. Perhaps a large German Shepherd or Mastiff would get a hold of the thieves right there at the park. We could only wish. I wouldn't give any leniency to any punk that's caught doing this. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
    Bluebiird your suggestions are good and we have put up signs but I find most of the time people don't read them. I have added to my list of requirements and rules to new comers to make sure all valuables are out of sight and the car locked. I have the park patrons spreading the word as well. We, the park patrons are our own defense. If we all keep an eye out and not forget that two weeks ago there was a break-in and remember to be on the lookout for suspicious activities then we will win.

thank you for reading and commenting.
    BTW ~ It sounds like it is time to clean your wallet out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buh4Bee
    It's really a shame that people have to experience this kind of thing at a dog park or at any park for that matter. You are never safe and should lock your doors.
    I am with you Buh4Bee and so are my park patrons!

thank you for reading and commenting

kittypaws
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil
    I cannot stand people who ruin other people's lives. Perhaps a large German Shepherd or Mastiff would get a hold of the thieves right there at the park. We could only wish. I wouldn't give any leniency to any punk that's caught doing this. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
    That would be soooo cool! To have someone walking their two dobermans back to the car and catching the thief in action!!

Unfortunately we have been warned that they may be armed so I have advised all patrons to get the tag # off the car and call 911 immediately and to take pictures with their cell phones!

Virgil thanks for the read and comment

kittypaws