View RSS Feed

Reflections on the puddle of life

2012 in books

Rate this Entry
It's a little early, but I have some time so I thought I'd post this now. At the beginning of the year I set myself a challenge to read one longer book (600+ pages) per month. I didn't succeed in that challenge, but I did manage to read more longer books and/or series' of books and I learned that I could and I learned that I enjoyed them (when they were the right books, of course) and I learned that there are some great long books out there, just waiting to be delved into. Of the ones that I did read, the one which struck me as being deserving of much greater attention is Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset. I am surprised it is not more lauded, and more well known. It is a wonderful read.

So, without further ado, this is the list of 2012.

1. The Tale of Genji - Murasaki Shikibu 5/5
2. The Whispering Muse - Sjön 4/5
3. The Good Shepherd - Gunnar Gunnarson 4/5
4. Black Water - Joyce Carol Oates 4.5/5
5. The Sorrows of Young Werther - J W von Goethe 4/5
6. Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie 3.75/5
7. The Housekeeper and the Professor - Yoko Ogawa 4.5/5
8. The Woman in Black - Susan Hill 2/5
9. The End of the Affair - Graeme Greene 4/5
10. Rape a Love Story - Joyce Carol Oates 4.5/5
11. Housekeeping - Marilynne Robinson 5/5
12. Battle Royale - Koushun Takami 3/5
13. State of Happiness - Stella Duffy 4/5
14. Hotel du Lac - Anita Brookner 4.5/5
15. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver 4.5/5
16. Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima 4/5
17. Runaway Horses - Yukio Mishima 3/5
18. The Temple of Dawn - Yukio Mishima 3/5
19. The Decay of the Angel - Yukio Mishima 3.5/5

20. Contre-Jour - Gabriel Josipovici 3.75/5
21. The City & The City - China Mieville 4.5/5
22. The Angel's Game - Carlos Ruiz Zafón 4/5
23. The Prophet - Khalil Gibran 5/5
24. Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov 4.5/5
25. Kristen Lavransdatter - Sigrid Undset 5/5
26. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 2.5/5
27. Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel 5/5
28. The Giver - Lois Lowry 4/5
29. Cosmopolis - Don DeLillo 5/5
30. The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes 4/5
31. The Weirdstone of Brisingamen - Alan Garner 3/5
32. Middlemarch - George Eliot 4.5/5
33. The Fermata - Nicholson Baker 4/5
34. Hawthorn & Child - Kevin Ridgeway 4/5
35. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood 4/5
36. The Chocolate War - Robert Cormier 4/5
37. The Lighthouse - Alison Moore 3.5/5
38. His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman 4.5/5
39. Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow - Peter Hoeg 4.5/5
40. The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thomas Wilder 4/5
41. White Noise - Don DeLillo 4.5/5
42. Peter Schlemihl - Adelbert von Chamisso 3.5/5
43. Offshore - Penelope Fitzgerald 3.75/5
44. There but for the - Ali Smith 4.5/5
45. To Bed with Grand Music - Marghanita Laski 3.75/5
46. My Elvis Blackout - Simon Crump 4/5 (but 8/5 for total oddness)
47. Five Little Pigs - Agatha Christie 3.5/5
48. The Good Soldier - Ford Maddox Ford 4/5
49. Orlando - Virginia Woolf 4/5
50. Dare Me - Megan Abbott 4.5/5
51. Next World Novella - Matthias Politycki 3.75/5
52. Train Dreams - Denis Johnson 4/5

I've discovered a few things whilst reading this year. One thing that has surprised me is how powerful a tool Twitter is (I can't quite believe I'm saying this) in uncovering interesting contemporary fiction. Two of my favourite reads of the year I picked up after they'd been recommended by John Self on Twitter - these were the most excellent Hawthorn & Child by Keith Ridgeway (that everyone should read) and the utterly bizarre My Elvis Blackout which I'm not sure everyone should read but is an experience which is quite unforgettable. And bizarre (did I mention that?).

I also discovered that I quite unexpectedly love Don DeLillo. I had previously read The Body Artist, which I hated, and had intended never to read anything by DeLillo again. Then I saw a copy of Cosmopolis in Fopp for £2 and thought 'oh go on then' spurred on by an interest in the movie (which I haven't seen. I can't see it as a filmable book, to be honest). Cosmopolis, for such a short book, really blew me away. I read it twice and for a short time it burned me and I couldn't read anything else. Later I read White Noise which is also good but less intense. I have come away with an amazing respect for DeLillo's mastery of the written word. I can quite understand, now, why David Mitchell (who is himself a master) reveres him.

So what for 2013? Initially I had a plan to read the big Russians next year but actually coming in to the year I've decided to have no plan. Perhaps a plan will unfold itself before me, perhaps not. What I do want to do more than anything is enjoy what I read.

Aside from reading, 2012 has been a funny old year. Work has been very busy and increasingly pressured. I love and hate my job, or perhaps it is truer to say that I love my work but hate my job. I have not reconciled myself to it after 3 years. Perhaps I never will.

On a more positive note, I wrote the first draft of a novel over the summer. Actually the draft took around 6 weeks and then I've laid it aside and when I get time I'll look at it again. I think this one might actually work, or I might actually properly finish it which would be something.

I also started studying for my degree. So I am officially a student now. I am finding that the studying eats into my reading time, but it is manageable and I find it interesting. My degree will be in International Studies, which works well with my job, and the course I'm studying at the moment is about the environment. It is very interesting, which always makes it easier to study, and so far I am doing well.

My kids continue to grow and change. My son, in particular, has had a tough year. His second year at high school has been hard, partly due to the school having an inconsistent and somewhat authoritarian approach and partly due to him starting to butt up against rules he doesn't like or understand and not being able to communicate this in a positive way. So we've been working through some of that. But on top of this we discovered that he has been having hallucinations in which everything he sees goes small or large, or where time seems to move too slowly or too fast or sometimes his hands feel too big. The disturbances last for 10 - 20 minutes and then pass. They seem to be triggered by low level lighting, and he's been having problems for the past couple of months, since the daylight hours reduced. We did some digging around and the best description we've found of his symptoms is something called Alice in Wonderland syndrome which can be triggered by illness or migraine or it could be a form of epilepsy. Now the reason we've been able to identify this is because my husband suffered from this too as a teenager and recognised the symptoms. So we know it is something that he will eventually grow out of. In the meantime, we need to understand exactly what it is and what's causing it and how to manage it. It is obviously very difficult for him to do anything which involves hand - eye co-ordination once he is hallucinating. So he's been referred to a neurologist and we're going in January and hopefully that will give us some answers.

So there is continuous proof, in case you ever need a reminder, that no matter how much you might feel you ever 'master' the role of being a parent, there is always something just around the corner to remind you that actually it's just a case of muddle through as best you can.

I'm not likely to be around much during the next year. I think with my studies, my writing and my kids I kind of have my hands full now and I don't seem to find the leisure time to pop around for a catch up anymore. But I do lurk, even if I haven't the time to post.

Wishing you all a wonderful, peaceful and fulfilling 2013.
Love to all
Fifth xxx

Updated 01-02-2013 at 08:55 AM by TheFifthElement

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Fifty-two books! A book a week. V-e-r-r-r-y impressive, Fifth. What do you think about highlighting the ones that are over 600 pages? I know The Tale of Genji is one, as are Midnight's Children, The Poisonwood Bible, and Kristin Lavransdatter. I don't know if any of the others are.

I might refer to your list when coming up with new author reads, as it is rife with books I have not read. I recognize a few that we read around the same time, and some that you mentioned. It's always fascinating to see your end of year list, Fifth. Thanks for sharing!
    Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset was on my 2013 possibilities, but I decided I couldn't handle a 1000 pager. Undset is remarkably unknown, and yet she won the nobel prize in literature. I did choose her bio of St. Catherine of Sienna which I'll get to next month. Don't know if you know, but Undset is a Catholic convert; that bio is a sort of Catholic classic. I've been trying to fill in my reading of Catholic works. Your endorsement of Kristin Lavransdatter might make me reconsider. It's on my Amazon wish list.

When you'll see my list, you'll see I read The Good Soldier as well this year, and I might have a word to say about it. I can see how you gave it a 4/5.

I was tempted to pick up DeLillo myself, but I just picked up his short story collection and read one story. Not sure there was any meat to the story, but I was really impressed with his prose style.

I too am impressed in the amount you can read. I had a good year myself, but I don't even think I reached half that.

High school for us starts at 14 years old, so second year is 15. Somehow I thought your son was younger. It's not unusual for teens to have problems with authority (I know I did, and still do!) but the hallucinations sound disturbing. I hope they can figure this out for him. He'll be in my thoughts. And yes parenting is a hell of a challenge. Until I became one myself I really underestimated its difficulties. As a friend of mine says, it's the hardest job you'll ever love.
    These end-of-year reading lists and reflections are some of my favorite blogs of the entire year. And I'm glad to see that you're still readin', writin', parentin', and workin', Fifth.

I've wanted to read Delillo for a while too -- one of my friends and colleagues thinks that White Noise is one of the top novels of the 20th century.

Hope you find out more about your son -- sounds migraine related (I occasionally get migraines and, when I do, see shapes and whatnot until the migraine passes).

Hope you have a great 2013!
    Qimi your wish is my command! The Mishima books were collectively over 1000 pages, but individually much less. It's called his Sea of Fertility tetralogy. Aside from Spring Snow, it was hard work.

Virgil - thanks My son is 12, though soon to be 13. Kids start high school over here at 11, although when I was younger it was generally called secondary school. How things change. Anyway, I would recommend Kristin Lavransdatter if you can spare the time to read it. It is long, but I think it was worth it. It does have very christian overtones, and is also an excellent work of feminist fiction (the good type, not the in-your-face bra burning type). Cosmopolis by DeLillo is a short work, if you did want to delve beyond his short stories. I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Good Soldier. I didn't really enjoy it as a read, but it is a well written book.

Comedian - really good to see you around, and I agree the end of year lists are one of the things I always look forward to on Litnet. In fact I am about to read yours! White Noise is excellent, I can completely understand why it's so highly rated. I'd like to read Mao II next year, as that particular work heavily influenced David Mitchell when he was writing Cloud Atlas so I'd like to see the link. You're right that my son's hallucinations could be migraine related. I am hoping that is what it is.

Many thanks for stopping by all
    You make me feel shame!!! I wonderful list. I see you read the Hunger Games, I couldn't finish it! I think maybe this summer. I am currently reading A Tale of Genji now and I really like it. Thanks for sharing.
    Wow what a great list. Good luck with the Novel and the Study.
    Have a great 2013