View RSS Feed

title

Just One Little Change

Rate this Entry
The Hobbit is coming to the movies towards the end of the year and looks as good as the Lord of the Rings was. I'm doing my daily check of certain websites for comics/movie news when there is an article on a female character Tauriel in the film. The Grumpy Dinosaur searches thru his few active brain cells trying a bit desperately to remember this lady from the book. With no success. The short term memory loss that has been troubling him lately is spreading to long term having last read the Tolkien series back when the guttersnipes were young out loud to them one summer hoping to give them a few good memories of childhood and fun reads. Nope turns out Peter Jackson decided the film needed a lady to balance out all the male characters. As much as I felt he shortchanged the third book's ending I found this uncalled for. Also got me thinking about male dominated movie remakes that could use the uplifting presence of womanhood. The first that came to mind would be a remake of the Dirty Dozen renamed The Filthy Thirteen where a young lady named Hazel makes her mark on film and sets the groundwork for her post World War 2 career as a maid --where she refuses to discuss with Mister B. why she is obsessed with cleanliness. Yeh--I would so watch that.

Updated 09-26-2012 at 10:18 PM by mtpspur (typos)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I hate it when films differ from the original works. So far I haven't seen a film that is exact to the original. Having read half of the Lord of the Rings trilogy I was disappointed by the number of things missing from the movies but let it slide because of how long the books are. I was very disappointed by The Golden Compass movie having just finished reading the book not long before. I was also let down by the live action Blood the Last Vampire movie, having seen and been a fan of the original anime movie. I refused to see How to Train Your Dragon or the later Chronicles of Narnia films because I didn't want to repeat my Blood the Last Vampire experience. I'm also not keen on remakes. The first Italian Job was fine as it was and didn't need a remake in my opinion.
    Since I like The Hobbit I'm not sure if I'll watch the films, especially since it'll be spread over 3 movies. 3 Lord of the Rings made sense because of the 3 books but The Hobbit is shorter than any one of the other three books. It might be interesting see how they portray Smaug though. He's a cool dragon.
    Updated 09-27-2012 at 10:33 PM by Bluebiird
    Very sure Smaug will be asved for Part Two and scratching my head over a third film--suposedlybased on appendix from Return of the King. Of all the book to movie adaptations I have seen over the years I think Gone with the Wind was well done and Maltese Falson.
    I re read The Hobbit a few weeks ago and there were no girls call Turiel in it. As for what Jackson did to Lord of the rings... It was unforgiveable. He completely changed the characters of Faramir and Arragorn and the last episode (as Jack Nicholson observed after walking out of the premier before the end, "Too many endings..." The excision of the Scouring of the Shire was a big mistake. The story should have been divided into more film episodes to reflect not the number of volumes, but the number of "books" in the storyTolkien wrote. I didn't miss Tom Bomberdil and his crappy poetry but I did miss the Barrow Wights and the source of the weapons given to the Hobbits, which enabled the relevant Hobbit to stab the Morgul King, thus distracting him long enough for Eowyn to finish him off. The only real change which worked in the film series was the addition of the Elves to the battle of Helm's Deep.

There are occasions where films are better than the books. The first Harry Potter movie is a case in point, and the version of The Three Musketeers with Michael York as d'Artagnan.
    I'm looking forward to going and seeing The Hobbit. I very rarely expect movies to be as good as books, but I like that the previous movies were able to keep with some of the massiveness that is the entire world that Tolkien created. You could make a dozen movies and never touch upon every aspect he brought to life, so all of them will be lacking, but enjoyable regardless.

On another totally random note, if you have a Netflix account, you might give the BBC series Sherlock a watch. I've really enjoyed it, and while different, it has really kept with much of the same "feel" of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLuck
    On another totally random note, if you have a Netflix account, you might give the BBC series Sherlock a watch.
    It's not quite such a random note. The guy playing Bilbo also played Watson in Sherlock. Also that show was brilliantly epic. Shame they only did 3 episodes for both series but it was condensed brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    It's not quite such a random note. The guy playing Bilbo also played Watson in Sherlock. Also that show was brilliantly epic. Shame they only did 3 episodes for both series but it was condensed brilliance.
    Very true. It is condensed brilliance, and I love that as a way to say it I'm looking forward to series 3, but that's a way off still.
    No Netflix account here--still dealing with pennies and payday to payday though AAA is settling up on the pension plan and I should see some major relief in late December from that.
    Oh yeah, the movie is coming out. I never read The Hobbit. I've read The Lord of the Rings a couple of times. I'm not one of those fanatics who knows every detail of the plot and characters, so i may not have picked up differences with the movies, but I thought they did the movies fairly well. I guess I'll have to pick up The Hobbit. I should read the book before the movie.