View RSS Feed

Monamy

Irritated by some cough-good-cough writers

Rate this Entry
I can't stand it anymore.

Finished 4 stories by different authors in a row and they were all bad, I'm so disturbed right now.

Finished "The Last Werewolf" by Glen Duncan

It was great, the writer does have a forte in mental thoughts, he allows you to think from a different angle quite nicely... until you reach 3/4 of the book and realize that nothing will be solved and the entire book was just one big massive load of rubbish. Plot Repetition killed the feeling of the book and left me with a big hole of disappointment. Duncan could have done it better... guess he was bored.

The protagonist is pictured from the start of the novel as a person who have lived 200 years, changed his names more than he can count, has several positions and rich, seen a lot of life to the point of bordom and is simply waiting for Fate to drive him wherever it sees fit. Yet, you find him so stupid at times, very easy to trick, acts like he lacks emotions but keep them inside him (for God knows why!) and suddenly all that changes back to the stereotypical hero once a 'girl' enters the scene.

It's like a bad dark romance story with werewolves, you really can't go wrong about that.

Finished Susanna Clarke's "Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell"

To be honest, this wasn't a bad read at all. 800 pages of great world of magic and its history in England. The struggle with the French, the feel to it, The Raven King, Faeries, the language and vocab used, the characters. It was all so appealing. But again, repetition occurs on many levels here, there are many characters that seem not needed (at all) or just a pile of extra reading that doesn't serve the story quite well.

The thing that really drove me nuts is the footnotes. Sometimes footnotes swap roles with actual story. you find a page that has only 2 to 3 lines, and the rest of the page is a big fat footnote!? Oh, and there's no room to finish that stupid note in one page, so you find half the next page is a continuation. Sure, history is needed to understand a couple of things here and there, but much of it was not necessary and could end up discouraging the reader from 'reading' any further footnotes that may be important.

Jumping to characters, most of them seem alike. The only thing the differs them from one another is their attitude, but they almost have the same voice, the same words, only different attitude (at least, for me.)

Finished "Never Look Away" by Linwood Barclay

God, the story takes your breath away early starting from page 50. I honestly found it very difficult to leave the book once I reached that page.

My only protest on this story is the ending. It didn't work well with all the suspense it created. Still, I'd recommend this story just for the heck of it. I can accept the ending as a shock for the reader (though I already expected as much after reaching halfway.)

Now, the FOURTH book is actually from an author I personally like. When people around me tease me for being a slave to Stephen King's books, I can't say I blame them... Misery and The Shining were two of my favorites by his pen.

But "Blaze" was one bizzare book.

I expected much of King's work to be this dark and strange, but Blaze goes beyond words. It's like another copy of "The Last Werewolf" but has a background story to it, an attempt to squeeze some 'reason' behind the whole deal.

Ugh, I'm tired.

Reading those in a row made me so mad, and I don't want my fifth book to be of the same gloomy lot. Any suggestions of good authors and some of their 'good' books? Like "Murder on the QE2" by Jessica Fletcher (man, I feel like I want to read that book again.)

On a different topic, is it just me or...

Does this alien seem to keep saying a silent "eemmooooo" to you?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Been there and done it. Some published authors are practically illiterate. It annoys me when I find I've wasted part of my life reading their book.

On the other hand, keep trawling, because occasionally you come across a real gem.