View RSS Feed

title

The Downsizing Continues

Rate this Entry
It was a surprise but then again it had been anticipated ever since our little six county AAA Club was 'merged' to Allied Group with the 'promise' we would be still acting on our own. No one really bieved that.

About a year and a half went by not quite sure now. Three months ago the call center hours changed from 7 am to 11 pm with calltakers staying until 7 pm.

With weekends off.

Dispatchers maintained their regular schedule--sigh 8 on, 2 off- 7 on, 4 off, 5 on, 2 off--repeat.

There had been a consistent rumor that Allied was consolodating their call centers but leaving dispatch in place.

An annual dinner last month which I skated out of since I was working gave kudos to our progress and a surprise $100 gift for all employees--in cash. I REALLY wnated comics but for once did the mature thing and paid the truck registration and got some gas instead to get ahead of the game.

Yesterday dispatchers both shift were herded into Debbie, the Call Center Superintendent's office and advised th calltakers--12 of them-were beign let go in a month and that little bombsheel was being fropped while we were under lock and key for a pitiful 15 minutes. Josh dispatched for that short time. There are tweo slots opening in dispatch which we believe will easily be filled and two temps of course will no longer be with us so ultimnately eight are being let go or repleaced elsewhere in the club but there are VERY few positions open.

So my salt mine is getting smaller and for now we think we are safe--as far as dispatch goes buit we no longer feel secure. I'm almost 61 and starting to contemplate REAL retirement.

Tick tock tick tock
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm sorry to hear this, but it does seem I remember you worrying over layoffs when they merged. Do you know who is being let go? Hang in there, and hopefully things will smooth out quickly.
    Lovely way to end your time there, isn't it? I mean, your not out of there yet, but all that waiting and wondering after all those years of dedicated service.

Fingers crossed for you, and my sympathies to those who have to leave under duress.
    Well the calltakers will be gone in amonth--I and my partners --six of us are being kept and supposedly going to addtwo more so there will three per shift--but there was some hesitation over that--we will see. I failed to give God proper credit in looking after things. When all is said and done I have always been taken care of. Concerns for soem the lost workers--especially three of them
    Hope you remain safe Rich. Despite what the news might say, the economy is not turning up. It's stagnant.