View RSS Feed

Virgil

Electronics Overload

Rate this Entry
Greetings to all. I know I have been spotty in my appearances here lately. I have had to travel for work four of the last five weeks. Even worse than not visiting my friends on the internet is missing my beloved little Matthew and my wife. This past trip was for the entire week, which really puts a strain on my wife. Whatís strange is that for the past couple of years, I havenít had to travel much. I think the year before was four trips the entire year, and here Iíve done that many in a little over a month. Itís just a strange confluence of several different things coming together. Iím certainly not looking to travel. And unfortunately itís not over yet. I have another planned for a couple of days next week, on Valentineís Day no less. I know, I know, Iím in the doghouseÖlol.

Funny thing occurred on the plane going out on this trip. I was sitting on the window seat, a business woman in the middle seat, and a gentleman on the aisle. The two of them had Ipads and they were comparing and then they started taking out their laptops and compared those. I was just reading, but it struck me funny how they were gadget obsessed. And then when the plane landed, the business woman took out her blackberry and started scrolling through her emails, and then took out her iphone and started looking things up. What the heck is all that about? Isnít one enough but four devices?

So on my mid week flight (this week was multiple cities) as Iím carrying my briefcase I started asking myself why my briefcase was so darn heavy. Oh, I realized, as Iím scrolling through the emails on my blackberry, it must be my laptop with the Kindle thatís in there and the ipod as well.

Where the heck is this all taking us?
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good to see you around. Sorry about traveling. I have a friend with a family who travels and it is very difficult on the wife. Hopefully it will slow down. As for all the electronics, I was just thinking the same thing when I wrote about all the devices my mother-in-law had plugged in when she was visiting for Xmas. People have so many devices, it truly is amazing.

Happy V.'s to you and your family!
    Updated 02-11-2012 at 09:31 PM by Buh4Bee
    I haven't seen it but I heard Portlandia has an episode about that.

I just have a smartphone, and, well, a laptop, but I never carry it around. The smartphone is enough. It feels cool and excessive, all at once. I'm looking into a Nook, though. They truly are toys for adults, aren't they?
    Um...is that a serious question? Because if so I know the answer. Cyborgs...that or battle robots...or androids that can perform all the functions of todays gadgets and more. Or, most disturbingly of all, some kind of direct brain activity. Download the latest news and updates directly into the brain...creepy. Behold the new app that lets you unlock your hover car with a single thought. At what point does the human brain stop being a human brain and become another computer device? No one will know. One of these is bound to happen in the next 500 years or so for sure.
    I had to laugh when I read this I'm typing my response on my iPhone, and I'm trying to decide if I want to read a book on the Nook tablet or watch a movie. If it's the movie do I drag out the laptop or watch on the Nook. At the same time I'm streaming Pandora on my phone and thinking I really need to grab my iPod for music instead of streaming it all the time
    You know, what astonishes me the most about this entry? That you've got more gadgets - and apparently more knowledge of them as well - than me! What does one need a Blackberry for? Can't you access your emails via the iphone too?
    The grumpy dinosaur doesn't like toys (said with the proper degree of snobbery) when in reality I am in no position anytime soon to buy any of that stuff for at least another 16 months when I finally achieve a major breakthru on the bills. Plus been having horrid time with e-mail to my son in Afghanistan.
    It must have something to do with status symbols. "My iPod
    has a larger storage capacity than yours." The tech companies are still into miniaturization, though, so pretty soon they'll be able to graft mobile devices onto accessories
    like jewelry. Bling! Bling!

Me, I'm no Luddite, but I got nothin' except this desktop that I had to borrow. Sometimes I do wish I had a wireless
    laptop, but that would probably mean I'd be up all night using it.

Good to see ya posting again, Virgil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebiird
    Um...is that a serious question? Because if so I know the answer. Cyborgs...that or battle robots...or androids that can perform all the functions of todays gadgets and more. Or, most disturbingly of all, some kind of direct brain activity. Download the latest news and updates directly into the brain...creepy. Behold the new app that lets you unlock your hover car with a single thought. At what point does the human brain stop being a human brain and become another computer device? No one will know. One of these is bound to happen in the next 500 years or so for sure.
    Very creepy. I don't want to live in such a world. It does sometimes feel like these gadgets are taking over my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themis
    You know, what astonishes me the most about this entry? That you've got more gadgets - and apparently more knowledge of them as well - than me! What does one need a Blackberry for? Can't you access your emails via the iphone too?
    I'm a computer illiterate, Themis. No I'm basically a monkey who knows keystrokes and nothing else.

As to the blackberry and iphone the woman was carrying, my guess is that the blackberry was from work and the iphone her personal. Blackberrys are used to synchronize with work email. Apparently they have some sort of security that makes it hard for hackers to get in. My Blackberry is from work, and so is my laptop. I only own the kindle and ipod.
    Thank you everyone.