View RSS Feed

OrphanPip

Making an odd decision.

Rate this Entry
So, I haven't done a blog in a while, but I'm going to seek lit-net's advice on a subject. Some of you may know that I've been working part-time on a B.A. since completing my microbiology degree. I've never really liked lab work, and though I love science, I don't love doing science. At first I started studying the arts, political science and literature primarily, as a hobby taking advantage of subsidized education in Quebec.

Now, I will receive my B.A. in April, and on a whim I decided to apply for a M.A., at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. Because they have a really good program in 17th-18th century literature, which I have a passion for.

And then today, bizarrely, I got accepted.

Now lit-net I pose a question to you, should I do this?

As I see it:
Pros:
Well there's little going on in my life professionally or of any interest.
I was offered sufficient funding to make this readily affordable for me.
I think it would be a really interesting experience.

Cons:
Little professional benefit to be gained from earning this M.A.
Not sure I'm really committed to this.
Have to relocate to Hamilton from my beloved Montreal.

Updated 02-10-2012 at 08:31 PM by OrphanPip

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Of course only you can ultimately decide if it is the right thing for you to do, but I would say give it a try and least, and if you decide it is not really for you, or if the pros in the end do not make up for the cons you can always call it quits. And it may prove to be a rewarding and interesting experience. If I had the money and opportunity I would do it.
    I got my engineering degree and then went for a masters in English literature. I did it part time at night school and it took me ten, eleven years or so, I don't remember exactly, while I worked. I had semesters in there where I didn't go to school. The Literature degree had absolutely no professional benefit, at least on the surface. However it honed my skills of presenting, communicating, and framing arguments that are just superior to the other engineers I work with. I know it gave me a professional skill. I would do it exactly the same if I had to do it all over again.

Also, when I came out of school and entered the engineering world, I remember saying I couldn't stand it. It took time to fully adjust. The school world is completely different from the work world, and I think a lot of young people feel a sort of shock to their system in the transition. In the end I loved my engineering work and I love literature too. I think I've found a good balance.

It's not clear to me whether you intend to go to school full time and not work or if you're going to start your work career and go to school part time like I did.

If you intend to stay in the science work world I would advise that you get going in that and go to school part time. Time delay puts you further back at work. But that's just my advise and I can see someone advising you to follow your passion and let the circumstances settle for themselves. I can see both as valid and prudent advise.

Whatever you choose O-P, I wish you the best. Good luck.
    If your job's not going anywhere and you're wouldn't be hurting for cash, I'd go for it. Hamilton's kinda pretty, plus it'd be cool to have a master's degree in something and you said before that you wouldn't persue graduate studies in science. Also, even if you can't find a job directly related to your MA more job options will still likely open up for you and you'll always be able to do lab work as a fall back. It'd be an adventure too.
    I think it sounds OK, if you are willing to relocate. I think DM makes a good point, that if you don't like it, you can quit.
    I t sounds like you have the money to pursue this, and personally, it sounds like a lot of fun. I say go for it! Wheee!

Your a thoughtful person O-P. I think whatever decision you make will be the right one for you. The move to Hamilton is temporary. You'll be back in Montreal in no time, and so much richer.
    I'm leaning towards doing it, it's only a year program, from September to October of the following year. No summer holiday, but I've been offered a small scholarship and enough funding to cover rent and expenses comfortably with a T.A. position, which I've also been offered.
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I say go for it, especially if it's just going to be a one-year deal. I think a master's degree in English can only help your future career opportunities. A lot of science guys aren't good with English, communicating clearly and eloquently, or writing good, in terms of grammar and readability. I wouldn't think it far-fetched at all for future employers to see this as a major benefit, if you still go into micro-biology after the program is over.

Plus, with the TA, who knows, you may find you really enjoy teaching. Anything's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutatis-Mutandis
    I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I say go for it, especially if it's just going to be a one-year deal. I think a master's degree in English can only help your future career opportunities. A lot of science guys aren't good with English, communicating clearly and eloquently, or writing good, in terms of grammar and readability. I wouldn't think it far-fetched at all for future employers to see this as a major benefit, if you still go into micro-biology after the program is over.

Plus, with the TA, who knows, you may find you really enjoy teaching. Anything's possible.
    I'm gonna be doing it spread out over 2 years at McGill here in Montreal. It's a more prestigious uni, and I get subsidized tuition as a Quebec resident so it works reasonably well for me. I have the option of doing it in 1 year but I haven't decided if I want to go that route. I'd have more time for work with the 2 year route.